Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder track performance, sub 2:00 at Thunderhill

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013 | 09:42 PM
bensf
Racer

Default Spyder track performance, sub 2:00 at Thunderhill

Hey guys, I want to share how surprisingly capable the Spyder version of the 987 platform is and by association the 981 since it was Porsche’s performance target when developing the new Boxster. orthojoe organized a group outing at Thunderhill Raceway Park. The track organizer was Hooked on Driving. Fellow members redyps and Schmidts Cat were also in attendance. Everyone had a great time, thanks Joe.

My Spyder has stock power. The main help comes from track alignment with GT3 LCA’s up front. Hankook Ventus Z214 C51 R-comp tires. Endless track pads and brake fluid. CCW wheels with tweaked offset. I also have Girodisc rotors but I don’t believe they made a difference in the lap time achieved vs. stock.

I actually didn’t think a relatively stock Spyder could do this even with the advantage of PDK but Joe thought otherwise. Glad to be proven wrong. Looking forward to seeing what the R or Spyder versions of the 981 can do.

Sorry for the poor sound quality. The mic on my iPod Touch is probably toast.

This was the first time on the Z214’s. Watch out for accelerated pad wear with stickier tires. Had to drive back home on the backing plate.

Name:  20130419_192231-resize.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  273.6 KB
Old 04-21-2013 | 11:09 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Hell yes! I knew you could do it, Ben. I never had a doubt in my mind. It wasn't a one lap wonder either, you could reproduce the time. You left people scratching their heads all day long. There are good drivers in GT3s running Hoosiers that can't match that time. It's all about the driver, though. I can only imagine what would happen if you got behind the wheel of something more powerful than the spyder. Unfortunately, the 987 never gets the respect it deserves (you and I saw it together again on Friday). I gotta say, though, that is part of the appeal of driving a 'slower' car. Congrats again, bud! 1:58 is next. You heard it here first.
Old 04-21-2013 | 11:33 PM
bensf
Racer

Lol. I really did think you were crazy for thinking that it was possible. I think I'm starting to like the sleeper/underdog role.

Not cool that the SharkWerks 3.9 driver did not let you pass even though you were all over him for many laps.
Old 04-21-2013 | 11:35 PM
Schmidts Cat
Burning Brakes

You da man joe! Awesome driving for sure. Man that was fun. Now I have a target to chase, thanks. And thanks joe for getting us all together. Next time we need to coordinate tools and maybe a trailer in case one of us needs one (Phil, fuel pump... Ben, pads...)
Old 04-21-2013 | 11:44 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Very cool and nice job!

While the very early 987's could have used some more power I think the latter cars are incredible and very underestimated.

Joe, what exactly happened on Friday?
Old 04-21-2013 | 11:48 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

By the way the speed you're holding through the corners is incredible. Great driving.
Old 04-22-2013 | 12:05 AM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Great job!
Old 04-22-2013 | 12:09 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Joe, what exactly happened on Friday?
911s, mainly 997s will sometimes have drivers that just won't believe a boxster is significantly faster than them, so they will just refuse to point you by. This has happened to me multiple times. This particular day was a White GT3 with 3.9L label on it. He made me follow him for so long, that I was able to test a hypothesis. My buddy in a GTR was behind me, and we had an intercom system going, so we decided to test my theory. I had my friend in the GTR pass me to directly go behind the 3.9L GT3. INSTANTLY, the a-hole GT3 points the GTR by, only to make me follow him for ANOTHER lap before conceding. It was absolutely ridiculous. The 3.9L GT3 was making us all run 2:15 lap times. I was running 2:06-2:07 that day....

I plan to post video once I put it all together. Somebody convince me to post it in the GT3 forum and call him out. Those guys will probably just pat the owner on the back and tell him 'good job' for at least taking the car out to the track..... We all know how this dance goes....

ANYWAY, YES, as always, it was a blast hanging out with everyone. 1/2 the fun of a track day is socializing. Looking forward to the next track day!
Old 04-22-2013 | 12:12 AM
bensf
Racer

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
By the way the speed you're holding through the corners is incredible. Great driving.
Originally Posted by Silberwolfen
Great job!
Thanks guys. The Spyder certainly makes us look like great drivers.
Old 04-22-2013 | 12:19 AM
bensf
Racer

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I plan to post video once I put it all together. Somebody convince me to post it in the GT3 forum and call him out. Those guys will probably just pat the owner on the back and tell him 'good job' for at least taking the car out to the track..... We all know how this dance goes....

ANYWAY, YES, as always, it was a blast hanging out with everyone. 1/2 the fun of a track day is socializing. Looking forward to the next track day!
Please edit out any cursing I may have done while a passenger in your car during that run As you found out going to open passing group solves most of that bad behavior.
Old 04-22-2013 | 12:32 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bensf
Please edit out any cursing I may have done while a passenger in your car during that run As you found out going to open passing group solves most of that bad behavior.
You were cursing? I couldn't hear anything over my own cursing, sorry man.
Yes, you've convinced me to run with you in D group from here on out. It was soooo much better running in that group.

The video is hilarious. You're shaking your head the whole time, I'm swinging my arms around... LOL. Too bad you didn't give him the finger when he finally let us pass. My only regret is that my rear camera wasn't filming so we can't see how quickly he disappears. Would have loved to see the look on the guy's face....
Old 04-22-2013 | 12:35 AM
Schmidts Cat
Burning Brakes

I have to say, it's the driver, not the car. I was at button willow in my gt3 a couple years ago, and Craig Stanton was driving my sons wrx.... I couldn't shake him! But then again, I'm not that fast compared to him for sure.
Old 04-22-2013 | 12:39 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
I have to say, it's the driver, not the car.
Always.
Old 04-22-2013 | 01:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

nice work man!
Old 04-22-2013 | 01:42 AM
bensf
Racer

Originally Posted by mooty
nice work man!
Thanks! Being out there with you and Chromium 24 in March was really humbling. Had to try to up my game a little so you guys don't make it look like I'm standing still again.

Quick Reply: Spyder track performance, sub 2:00 at Thunderhill