Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Chris Harris .. Boxster Spyder ... on Twitter

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 11:11 AM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 235 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Chris Harris .. Boxster Spyder ... on Twitter

I hope this is not a repost? Chris Harris made the following comments on Twitter about the Boxster Spyder

chris harris ‏@harrismonkey 1h
Saw two Boxster Spyders out in the sunshine yesterday. Splendid little car. Will become increasingly sought-after.

@harrismonkey agree! I think it will be more of a collector than most of the 911 variants down the road. That's just a special little car.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Hadn't read that before, thanks for posting.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:05 PM
barische
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

watch his review on drive TV he loves the car.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:42 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by barische
watch his review on drive TV he loves the car.

Chris Harris has a review on the spyder? Link?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:50 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting. He's notorious for looking down on roadsters. Saying things like "is this a car A MAN can own?" or driving around with a paper bag on his head after a member of his cast challenged him to drive his NA Miata. And even the Miata he questioned as a "sports car driver's car"...despite the fact that its probably the single most common car at every track day and autocross from California to NJ.
I think he's got the British aversion to too much of the glorious sun. But he's by far the most competent driver who does the car opining thing. Speaking of competent, I saw an article with F1 driver Jan Lammers recently where he's mucking about with a Carrera Cup car and they noted that his daily driver was a base 986.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:29 PM
barische
Advanced

Originally Posted by orthojoe

Chris Harris has a review on the spyder? Link?
Youtube drive tv : chris harris on cars

You will see video.. Ill post the link later
Old 04-03-2013, 08:15 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by barische
Youtube drive tv : chris harris on cars

You will see video.. Ill post the link later
hmmm. I know he's got a review of the 981 boxster. I've never seen a review on the '11, '12 boxster spyder. I don't see it.....
Old 04-04-2013, 11:33 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Monkey Harris didn't do a video review of the Spyder. But this is what he wrote:

It rained so hard on Saturday night that five inches of snow disappeared. How depressing. One assumes it will now rain until December, whereupon it will snow and the UK will close for business. But, and I use the word 'but' in a way that introduces the most fanciful reaches of the conditional tense, were we to have a hot, balmy summer, I have decided that I would like to be driving a Boxster Spyder.

Lots of lovely trimmings despite weight savingI keep looking at these. For a limited run machine which happens to be one of the best drivers' cars the company has made in the past decade, they look good value to me.
Essentially a Boxster with a crud roof, a Cayman R engine, and a 90kg weight reduction over a standard S the Spyder is one of those rare machines which creates a driving experience much more special than its meagre list of modifications would suggest.

I first drove one in the UK when it was raining and thought that despite feeling more alert than the standard car, I couldn't see the point of the silly roof and extra cost.

Then I drive one in the hills around LA a while back and completely fell for it. There's a strong argument for saying it's the sweetest road car Porsche has made in a while: small enough to be threadable, fast enough to not infuriate.

Focused, faster and a faff but super with itThese are now lurking around in the early £30K range as retail cars, which means they're changing hands on the other side of the fence for high 20s. Making a judgment on driving experience versus cost, that must make the Boxster Spyder one of the best value used cars out there.
I would like a red one with silver wheels, but no such car is currently for sale. So of the available stock, I think this black one looks jolly appealing.

http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests...sp?c=1&i=27025
Old 12-02-2019, 04:13 PM
nantruckit
4th Gear

Any progress on this build?
I'm dying to put some BFG's and a lift on my 2002 S.
Would love to hear some ideas and see some photos.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:18 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

OP, you posted to a thread that is nearly 7 years old.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:12 PM
WAILN6
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Interesting post regardless. Previous post was 2013, yet there was a reference to Spyders selling at 20k??? Yes, I realize those are pounds, but still. Even at the high end of 29k pounds, that would be less than $40k USD, which for a 2yr old car would be insanely good.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris .. Boxster Spyder ... on Twitter