Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

go pro hero3 or sony action cam for track videos

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 02:36 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default go pro hero3 or sony action cam for track videos

Guys,

finally thinking of recording my on track exploits, what mounts should i be considering on my CR/spyder and which video cam would you recommend? Thanks
Old 10-18-2012, 05:07 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

The sony is intriguing. I'd like to hear some reviews and see some videos. I've got two hero 2s linked via the wifi remote, which is nice to have so I can start recording both cameras at the same time. The rennline gopro towhook mount is really nice.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:07 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Thanks joe. I,ll be trying to get mine mounted like yours in the front on my cr.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:07 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Oh. Have you tried out the new wheels and tires yet?
Old 10-21-2012, 11:32 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by khooni
Oh. Have you tried out the new wheels and tires yet?
Finally had a chance to yesterday at Laguna Seca. My time dropped from 1:51 to 1:45, with more left on the table after looking at my logs. Will post pics and video later once I put it all together.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:52 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

anyone attempted to mount the hero 3 on the roll hoops? I would like some shots with me driving. Is the roll hoop the best place (with the roll bar mount from gopro)?
Old 12-31-2012, 02:17 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

If your looking for a good forward view that includes your driving, the helmet mount actually works really well. Here's an example:

Old 12-31-2012, 05:40 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

why is there so much wind noise? do you find it harder to get in to and out of the car with the camera mounted on the helmet? The evo is a tall boy compared to the CR...
Old 12-31-2012, 08:12 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

why is there so much wind noise? do you find it harder to get in to and out of the car with the camera mounted on the helmet? The evo is a tall boy compared to the CR...
The camera isn't mounted on TOP of my head, it's mounted off to the side. LOL. It was on the right side of my helmet (look at my reflection in the rear view mirror). In your case, you'll want it on your left side. Since you drive on the opposite side over in your part of the universe (I kill me!)

In regards to the wind noise:
1) the windows are open
2) IIRC this is not a gopro camera I was using. The camera used in this video has since been retired.
3) If you want good audio, you're not going to get it from inside the car, regardless of mounting position or camera brand. Get an exteral mic, and clip it behind the rear license plate. Music.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:49 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

thanks. I know it's mounted to the side. Still difficult when you consider a small coupe with buckets.

we don't allow windows to be wound down on closed cars in the Uk during track days. Hence the lack of AC could make the driver relatively uncomfortable. although you are allowed to crack the window open.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:26 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

In keeping with the alternate universe theme:

We're required to have the windows down at our track days

Our seats don't have head extensions like racing seats, which would certainly interfere. Having the camera mounted to the side of the helmet will not interfere with the bucket seats. I don't see how having the camera on your helmet would put you in a compromising position in a CR, but don't take my word for it. Just try it?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:35 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by orthojoe
In keeping with the alternate universe theme:

We're required to have the windows down at our track days

that is certainly completely opposite here. Windows up unless a convertible with roof down. We also don't have tech. as long as it is road worthy--- bring it on. No pre-track inspection. Open pit lane format preferred.......
Old 01-01-2013, 11:54 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

That is certainly interesting.

Like Joe said, we must have windows down here on this side of the pond (at least the driver's side). Also, no top down with most organizations unless you have harnesses and arm straps - latter not required with all orgs. BMW clubs don't allow cabriolets on the track at all.

How do you give point-by's with the window closed? Turn signals (don't like)? No tech inspections?? Merde... that'd be great... but may also be dangerous, methinks.

BTW, khooni, are you originally from GB or where did you move there from? Just curious...
Old 01-01-2013, 02:09 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by the_vetman
That is certainly interesting.

Like Joe said, we must have windows down here on this side of the pond (at least the driver's side). Also, no top down with most organizations unless you have harnesses and arm straps - latter not required with all orgs. BMW clubs don't allow cabriolets on the track at all.

How do you give point-by's with the window closed? Turn signals (don't like)? No tech inspections?? Merde... that'd be great... but may also be dangerous, methinks.

BTW, khooni, are you originally from GB or where did you move there from? Just curious...
I did school in Chicago and family is from michigan but originally from Singapore. Went to UK to work and now reside there. I do have a pristine spyder in michigan.

It's entirely different in the UK. point-bys are generally via turn signals as you rightly guessed but most of the time, folks just drive past into the turns. Electronic flag boards are the best invention ever. They flash non-stop like in F1 if you are holding someone else up.

ha.. danger? I think you get used to it. Most folks behave but some guys driving sheds just scare the hell out of me. You do get used to it though. Most guys with nice cars tend to stick to the more expensive track days as a result...... it's still tremendous fun.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:47 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I did school in Chicago and family is from michigan but originally from Singapore. Went to UK to work and now reside there. I do have a pristine spyder in michigan.
Let me get this straight: so from Singapore to Michigan to Chicago to UK (my head's already spinning)? Hell, you're our International Man of Mystery!

Quick Reply: go pro hero3 or sony action cam for track videos