Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

WANTED: Boxster Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 12:29 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Truth be told, $65k into the DJIA or So Cal real estate in early/mid 2011 would not be worth much more than a Spyder today...
Agreed. For those that bought a Spyder with the the desirable options, it was probably the closest thing to experiencing the value retention of a 4.0 gt3 RS! Even more so if you had a MY2012 Spyder, which are relative scarce!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 08-14-2012, 03:14 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 936 Posts

I agree with the statement that 99% of cars are poor investments.

The Spyder on the other hand I feel might be that car that will be a unplanned collectible.

Porsche never intended it to be a limited edition... I think the demand was less than stellar for Porsche's standards due to the roof design and marketing it with no A/C. The production numbers being so low make it a rarity. From what I hear there isn't going to be a 981 Spyder, making it that much more desirable down the road.

I guess time will tell.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayman
I agree with the statement that 99% of cars are poor investments.

The Spyder on the other hand I feel might be that car that will be a unplanned collectible.

Porsche never intended it to be a limited edition... I think the demand was less than stellar for Porsche's standards due to the roof design and marketing it with no A/C. The production numbers being so low make it a rarity. From what I hear there isn't going to be a 981 Spyder, making it that much more desirable down the road.

I guess time will tell.
Where did you hear this?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:02 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Where did you hear this?
Rumors from the other side of the pond.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Will they make a 981 Cayman R?
Old 08-14-2012, 05:42 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Rumors from the other side of the pond.
Now, now... that's how rumors get started. Oh, wait...
Old 08-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Now, now... that's how rumors get started. Oh, wait...
Porsche isn't as unpredictable as we all think. It seems they do give hints as to what is coming but they won't officially announce it until the very last minute.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:27 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Porsche isn't as unpredictable as we all think. It seems they do give hints as to what is coming but they won't officially announce it until the very last minute.
Very true... I remember when they said they aren't making a coupe version of the Boxster...
Old 08-14-2012, 07:31 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Very true... I remember when they said they aren't making a coupe version of the Boxster...
Or when they told me on several occasions that they will not offer a PTS Spyder after I had sent numerous requests through various dealers and to PCNA. Literally one day after my car arrives in port they announce a 7 day window for PTS Spyders.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:36 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Or when they told me on several occasions that they will not offer a PTS Spyder after I had sent numerous requests through various dealers and to PCNA. Literally one day after my car arrives in port they announce a 7 day window for PTS Spyders.
I try to block that one out of my memory.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:00 PM
slc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are still looking for a spyder Porsche of Boise took in a metallic black one with under 3K miles. Not sure on all the options but it does have sport buckets, spyder wheels (black), and a 6 sp. I'm also pretty sure it's full leather.

Ask for Jeff Woody, he's one of the best I've ever dealt with.

....Steve
Old 08-19-2012, 01:37 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slc
If you are still looking for a spyder Porsche of Boise took in a metallic black one with under 3K miles. Not sure on all the options but it does have sport buckets, spyder wheels (black), and a 6 sp. I'm also pretty sure it's full leather.

....Steve
According to this:
http://boise.porschedealer.com/preow...55456/info.php

It doesn't have metallic paint, no full leather and no black wheels. It's a pretty basic build. Thanks though.

I have found my Spyder, it's getting loaded tomorrow or tuesday.
http://www.jimellisporsche.com/preow...40210/info.php

Old 08-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slc

....Steve
Originally Posted by navanoD
According to this:
http://boise.porschedealer.com/preow...55456/info.php

It doesn't have metallic paint, no full leather and no black wheels. It's a pretty basic build. Thanks though.

I have found my Spyder, it's getting loaded tomorrow or tuesday.
http://www.jimellisporsche.com/preow...40210/info.php

Judging by the pictures the Spyder in Boise is Basalt Black, but again Basalt is a tough color to photo so it may just be a grainy photo.

Donavan, did you ever find out what the show finish is? I was thinking about it again yesterday when I was waxing the paint on my Spyder and inspecting it closely. I would think that a show finish would include a thicker layer of clear coat followed by a wet sanding procedure of all painted panels by a Porsche internal body shop. I would love to have this, Porsche paint is nice but it can definitely use additional polishing steps to eliminate the orange peel and the very small amount of surface imperfections which are visible up close. This would result in a stunning finish!
Old 08-19-2012, 02:53 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Judging by the pictures the Spyder in Boise is Basalt Black, but again Basalt is a tough color to photo so it may just be a grainy photo.

Donavan, did you ever find out what the show finish is? I was thinking about it again yesterday when I was waxing the paint on my Spyder and inspecting it closely. I would think that a show finish would include a thicker layer of clear coat followed by a wet sanding procedure of all painted panels by a Porsche internal body shop. I would love to have this, Porsche paint is nice but it can definitely use additional polishing steps to eliminate the orange peel and the very small amount of surface imperfections which are visible up close. This would result in a stunning finish!
Afshin,
I asked the dealer about the 740 Option / Show Finish. He said they have gotten other cars from PCNA with the dame option and inquired with the regional rep about what it was. The rep had no idea what the option consisted of. All they knew was only Porsche could build a car with option 740, no one else has access to the 740 option. They said it might be a special clear coat finish they add, but that was just a guess. Once I get my car delivered (hopefully in a week or two), I'll take some macro photos of the paint finish and post them up here. Stay tuned.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:22 PM
slc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Judging by the pictures the Spyder in Boise is Basalt Black, but again Basalt is a tough color to photo so it may just be a grainy photo
I checked with the salesman and it is Basalt. Not sure why I remembered it having painted wheels...must be looking at too many cars at the moment trying to spec out a 981.

If anyone else is interested in a low mileage spyder, it appears to be a nice car.

Quick Reply: WANTED: Boxster Spyder