Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Current Spyder Market

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 03:05 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
I was leaving VIR after the Porsche Club race on Sunday and there was a white one in line to get in with the Corvette club to do a DE. Anyone here ? It is such a stunning car and reminded me to go home and drive mine. I've put 3k on it in 2 years. I have owned my share of 911's over the years but have never got the attention that a Spyder brings at gas stations and Parking lots. Still in love with it and consider it a moving work of art.
Hi Scott,

I'm pretty sure you were talking about my car. I was at the Club Race DE. I wasn't staying for the Corvette Club DE but was instead changing out my brake pads and loading up the Spyder.

Thank you for the compliment and noticing. I love the Spyder and agree that it's a stunner and a great sports car.

BTW, very nice job racing! We had briefly met before and I was watching your 996 on the track. Your video of running out of gas was hilarious.

Finally, 3,000 miles in 2 years? You need to go out and drive it more!
Old 06-30-2013, 08:06 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Hi Scott,

I'm pretty sure you were talking about my car. I was at the Club Race DE. I wasn't staying for the Corvette Club DE but was instead changing out my brake pads and loading up the Spyder.

Thank you for the compliment and noticing. I love the Spyder and agree that it's a stunner and a great sports car.

BTW, very nice job racing! We had briefly met before and I was watching your 996 on the track. Your video of running out of gas was hilarious.

Finally, 3,000 miles in 2 years? You need to go out and drive it more!
I saw you driving in the opposite direction of me when I was leaving so I assumed you were with the next group coming in.

Thanks for the compliment. Except for running out of gas it was a great weekend. I wish I had the time to watch a couple of DE sessions. I would have loved to see what a Spyder looks like on track.

What do you use for a roll bar ? ( I think VIR requires them no ? ) Does Brey Krause make one for our cars now ?
Old 06-30-2013, 11:42 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just turned 10K on my Spyder....... Then I saw a 991 with the Sport Design package (Ducktail) at my race a week ago. Then I started wondering about a PTS 991 my race car color, then I saw how The Spyders are retaining their value...... Slippery slope!!!! I'm thinking bad things!
Old 06-30-2013, 01:13 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Chad have you driven the 991 and compared?
Old 06-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Chad have you driven the 991 and compared?
Not yet. I plan on doing soon to see if I like it.

Last edited by Plavan; 06-30-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:08 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

For what it is worth, I have driven the 991 on the track, great car and quick, BUT, no feedback from the suspension or the steering. A big car but handles well. No sport bucket seats available. Bottom line, I'm keeping my Spyder and "improved on" 997.2
Old 06-30-2013, 09:19 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

I feel like the NRA on handguns when it comes to my Spyder, "someone else can have it when they pry it from my cold dead hands".
Old 06-30-2013, 10:28 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Well, I do already have a Race car, with another coming in December. So I get my kicks on the track.
No doubt the Spyder is a great car. Best I have had to date.
But a PTS 991 is tempting.

Last edited by Plavan; 06-30-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:36 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
Thanks for the compliment. Except for running out of gas it was a great weekend. I wish I had the time to watch a couple of DE sessions. I would have loved to see what a Spyder looks like on track.

What do you use for a roll bar ? ( I think VIR requires them no ? ) Does Brey Krause make one for our cars now ?
I thought your commentary during the video was hilarious.

Anyway, there's no need for a roll bar. Factory/stock roll bar is high enough for most people (though it wasn't for 986s). Tall people can take out the seat cushion and still pass the broomstick test most of the time. Speaking of which... it's a "broomstick test" but I've never had anyone actually measure. They just give it quick glance and that's it.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:47 PM
Boostu
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Apologies if this has been beaten to death but what track seats do you guys recommend for the Spyder? Unfortunately mine did not come with the GT2 seats and I'm not made of money so those are out. Are the 996 GT3 seats an option? I see a lot of concern about the lack of side airbags but how big of an issue is it?

Edit: This might be worth its own thread...

Last edited by Boostu; 07-01-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostu
Unfortunately mine did not come with the GT2 seats and I'm not made of money...
Boostu: If you are not 'made of money', you might be in the wrong forum! Here, we all look like the motorcycle guy below and our favorite color is always 'green'!

But seriously, I would recommend an aftermarket seat from the Recaro line...but only for track days! As a dd, the lack side air bags on your seats and the absence of a passenger weight sensor in that seat (in case your passenger is a small child) will be a serious safety issue every time you drive! And, of course, the car's dash will display a fault code for not having either air bags & seat sensor connected - which will bother the hell out of you on a daily basis! In my opinion, not using a proper factory seat on a modern Porsche is not worth the risk to you or your passenger's safety in case of an accident! My dos centavos, for what it's worth.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Colorado
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2013, 08:18 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Recaro is a fine choice, Sparco seems to make a decent chair too. I totally disagree about the air bags. There are people on motorcycles with none and some of us drive forty year old cars on occasion where if you have an accident they simply hose off the dash and resell it. Point being you still have a modern car with crumple zones and front bags, I think you would be fine using it as a DD with bag-less seats, heck all the pre 98 Boxsters are bagless! Now the idiot lights, that's another issue, ideally you might want to keep your eyes pealed on the parts section, I've seen some nice factory seats pass through there more than once, good luck.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Janko
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just picked up my 12 on Wednesday, 550 mile drive back and I still have a incredible grin! Will post a thread devoted to it.

Quick Spec
White
6sp
Alcantra+
Carbon Buckets
PSE
Nav

5 days of rain upcoming here in Louisiana really is killing me!
Old 07-06-2013, 12:47 PM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by Janko
Just picked up my 12 on Wednesday, 550 mile drive back and I still have a incredible grin! Will post a thread devoted to it.

Quick Spec
White
6sp
Alcantra+
Carbon Buckets
PSE
Nav

5 days of rain upcoming here in Louisiana really is killing me!
Congrats! Perfect spec!! (Well, minus the NAV, but who cares). Silver or black wheels?
Old 07-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Janko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RobSpyder
Congrats! Perfect spec!! (Well, minus the NAV, but who cares). Silver or black wheels?
Lol, where I live it's an adventure to find good roads so nav is a must to get home.

Black wheels... Boxster decal delete as well...

Quick Reply: Current Spyder Market