Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Current Spyder Market

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 09:41 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Current Spyder Market

ok, so i am looking at Spyder's and have seen prices mostly in the $60's. Is this where the market is right now on these cars? I live in florida so my driving season is all year round so I could possibly wait til winter if prices might be better. Somehow I think due to build numbers, they dont have too much depreciation left. Lastly, it seems like the 6 speed is more desirable and less of these were made.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:00 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been looking around at Spyders for many months and recently pulled the trigger. Been looking for over a year though it didn't get really serious until recently.

You're right - vast majority will be in the 60's with some still in 70's. There were a few in the high 50's but they had higher mileage, etc. One Spyder I was considering was listed at $64,500 or $65,000. I was interested until I decided on some options and saw the original MSRP - $65,500. It has 16,500 miles. Wanting to sell for a profit after almost 17,000 miles........

Another Spyder I considered was in absolute perfect condition with white-painted wheels and approx. 1,000 miles. $70,000 but money wasn't really a factor (lot more than that just sitting in the bank for no good particular reason.....) - lack of bucket seats were. Another Spyder had everything I wanted but in the wrong exterior color for me. I'll also say that contrasting Guards Red interior on Spyders look awesome!! Well, maybe not the steering wheel...

If you insist , I can share the details on Spyder I'm getting.

Last edited by the_vetman; 07-27-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:00 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jvmax
ok, so i am looking at Spyder's and have seen prices mostly in the $60's. Is this where the market is right now on these cars? I live in florida so my driving season is all year round so I could possibly wait til winter if prices might be better. Somehow I think due to build numbers, they dont have too much depreciation left. Lastly, it seems like the 6 speed is more desirable and less of these were made.
Pricing seems right for ASKING. That doesn't mean they are selling for that.
I have a PDK with the bucket seats and virtually no other options and LOVE it... I guess the desirability is a function of what the person buying it wants. I wouldn't have done without PDK + SC, PSE, and Bucket seats and that's what I got (+AC and bluetooth radio). I paid about 70 + tax and a couple grand to bring it from CA to PA and I'm sure that I could get 58 or so for it 2 years later - BUT I'LL NEVER SELL IT unless I end up broke... even then, I'd probably consider starving for a while before selling it... I never felt this way about my Modena, Elise, GT3RSR (race), various cup cars, etc... the only car that came close was my 964 Cup converted to RSR with a Schmirler 3.8 engine that had street registration -and that one I should have NEVER sold!!!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:25 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

yes, my must haves are 6 speed, and it has to be white. And if I am lucky, red interior. Spyders look great in every color, but why spend this kind of money and not get the color you want. I guess another plus would be CPO as most used ones seem to be.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:44 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

the perfect car except the transmission just hit the for sale ads.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:14 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
BUT I'LL NEVER SELL IT unless I end up broke... even then, I'd probably consider starving for a while before selling it... I never felt this way about my Modena, Elise, GT3RSR (race), various cup cars, etc... the only car that came close was my 964 Cup converted to RSR with a Schmirler 3.8 engine that had street registration -and that one I should have NEVER sold!!!
It's very reassuring to hear this type of enthusiasm and devotion from yet another Spyder owner. Appreciate the feedback.

BTW, I'm in Pottstown (used to live in and around Philly).
Old 07-26-2012, 03:27 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

That car's been around for a while (though I guess "a while" is subjective).

It's come up on numerous sites including eBay... curious that it hasn't already sold. Personally not a fan of those wheels, though. PDK... no (for me). PCCB... not good for the track ($$$$ to replace). Love the interior.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:42 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_vetman
That car's been around for a while (though I guess "a while" is subjective).

It's come up on numerous sites including eBay... curious that it hasn't already sold. Personally not a fan of those wheels, though. PDK... no (for me). PCCB... not good for the track ($$$$ to replace). Love the interior.
perfect combo except the trans which is a deal breaker. if i remember seeing somewhere this car had an accident
Old 07-26-2012, 06:52 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's one with most of the right ingridients, stick, buckets, exhaust. Suppose to be a factory rep demo. Don't know about you, but I think it has the best exterior color.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...24483818&Log=0

Just looking at autotrader, it still amazes and angers me that people are continually flipping the Spyders.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:00 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,629 Likes on 898 Posts

I wish this one was still available:
http://ucl.porsche.de/ucl/plsql/usa/...45502&lang_=US

It popped back up in the Porsche Use Car Locator... but I called and it was sold a long time ago. They said it's a error in the system
Old 07-26-2012, 10:18 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Are you shopping for a third Spyder??
Old 07-26-2012, 10:46 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cayman
I wish this one was still available:
http://ucl.porsche.de/ucl/plsql/usa/...45502&lang_=US

It popped back up in the Porsche Use Car Locator... but I called and it was sold a long time ago. They said it's a error in the system
there are a ton of black spyders on that list, i like black but not in florida
Old 07-27-2012, 12:21 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Are you shopping for a third Spyder??
All I can say is that he's a riot... He also never responded to many posts begging him to comment back in January of 2011 (or was it 2012?). There was a recent thread where he attributed the born-again Spyder love to being a He's also been going back & forth about the current 981 order...

Whatever... it's his $$$ and he can do whatever he pleases... but I wouldn't personally get a TT RS to replace the Spyder...... (I mean, really?????)
Old 07-27-2012, 12:24 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

i like black but not in florida
I love black. My current car is Basalt Black Metallic and it looks fantastic (if I do say so myself). But for some reason I got fixated on Carrara White Spyders. I also love red on sports cars but red Spyders just didn't do it for me (please note that this is strictly just a personal thing).
Old 07-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Pete C
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 66 Posts

perfect combo except the trans which is a deal breaker. if i remember seeing somewhere this car had an accident
You are correct! Right front fender was definitely painted.

Quick Reply: Current Spyder Market