Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Current Spyder Market

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 01:28 AM
Jay9722
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

I hear ya. If I had to do it again I would get the Sport Buckets. However, the heated seats are great in the winter when it dips into the 40's and the top is down.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:33 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay9722
I hear ya. If I had to do it again I would get the Sport Buckets. However, the heated seats are great in the winter when it dips into the 40's and the top is down.
Oh I know... I owned both. Still prefer the Sport Buckets though.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:09 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I have heated sport buckets. Oh yes I do. :fist pump:
Old 07-31-2012, 02:10 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
nice!
Old 07-31-2012, 08:57 PM
Craig67
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

Show off!!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:24 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

These were not a factory option which makes your car way less valuable.
I have a friend looking for a frankencar so let me know when you are selling.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:50 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
These were not a factory option which makes your car way less valuable.
I have a friend looking for a frankencar so let me know when you are selling.
LOL. It's definitely 'alive' now. The seat inserts and LCAs are the only parts not OEM. I'm not ever planning on selling the car, so I can't help your friend, and value isn't a concern since I'm not selling.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:33 AM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Jay, since I probably own your former Spyder--I love the seats. My wife clicked on the heat on the way home. What an amazing car. The top didn't leak in today's storm one bit. Very solid car.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:33 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

So is anyone monitoring the current sale prices of Spyders?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:53 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just did a quick check on Autotrader and counted about 23 Spyders for sale. About half our manuals and just a handful with Sport Buckets. In my experience what is listed on Autotrader isn't always accurate, lots of stuff that is sold but still posted.

Prices seem to be holding out in the lower $60K range.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:34 AM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
I spent many hours this Labor Day Weekend going to the PCNA website & looking up EVERY American dealer's complete new Boxster inventory of available Spyders. From Maine to San Diego, Miami to Seattle, and everywhere in between. There remains an unusually large number of these cars unsold as of these last days of seasonal good weather across most of the US! In my opinion, this high level of unsold 'stock' inventory at dealers (and their high flooring cost) will have a bearing on the date Porsche sets for termination of Spyder production for this model year, especially in light of the rumored introduction of the similarly lightened & sharper tuned Cayman CS or R scheduled for early Spring production! Both will appeal to the same niche buyer and there is a limited demand for this type of product in our market, as these levels of unsold inventory appear to confirm (plus that damn bad economy still out there!).

Besides the unusual high number of unsold Spyders in dealer stock all over the US, the other interesting thing I found was the high number of cars with sport seats (not the lighter buckets) and equipped with a long list of 'weighty' options. Dealers, apparently remembering the intro '09 PDK 4S with buckets which most had a hard time selling due to the seats, have decided to hedge their bets with the more universally 'fitting' Sport Seats. We will see if this turned out to be a wise choice for dealers. Unlike the regular (non-gt3) 911, this Spyder appeals to the purists - the same ones that a generation or two ago bought the original Speedsters (from '55 to '58)! I also could count in my hands the ones with AC DELETE. I don't remember seeing any $1700 lightweight Lithium Ion Batteries in any of the Spyder's options list. On the positive side, I saw more than half of the cars were ordered with the optional sport exhaust, which most owners and reviewers have deemed 'a most have' option.

The least seen color in inventory (and perhaps also reflects total production) is Cream White, followed by Aqua Metallic Blue. The Silver Metallics were scarcer than the Carrara Whites, Guards Reds and Blacks (both Basalt and non-metallic Blacks). Most interiors are black, followed by full Red leather. Most black interiors were not the full leather type. A few Sand Beige (which I find the least attractive interior) are still around and I saw no special 'Cocoa' interiors at all.

Sport Chrono without PCM is quite common (so you also see CDR30's everywhere). Porsche 'Exclusive' options like deviating stitching (on alcantara, seats and leather dashes, etc.) are rare to see. Quite a number of PDK cars are still available, including some ordered without the extra cost paddle shifters. The standard PDK thumb switched wheels - just introduced with PDK back in '09 - now look 'odd' and 'old fashioned' in contrast with the paddle shifters.

Talking about steering wheels, the early production manual transmission Spyders with the silver metallic centered steering wheels stand out like a sore thumb in clear contrast with later production all black wheels. The latter ones look nice and 'mean'. They would be my choice. Both PDK wheels, however, suffer when contrasted with the new 'all black' steering of the 6 speed manual cars since they carry over too much polished metal, same with the PDK center console shifter.

Most wheels are, thankfully, the lighter 19" standards (a good thing!) and some have the painted option (mostly in black). No side stripes delete that I could see. MSRP's varied from mid $60's on 'stripped' low options cars to low $80's for full boats (literally, they must also weight as much), the latter mostly ordered by a few Southern California dealers. But I bet you knew that already or could have guessed, no?

It would be interesting to know if any forum member has been able to negotiate a reasonable discount at this time, given the large inventory of unsold Spyders out there.

Saludos,
Eduardo

2012 Spyder - 'Aqua Blue'/Red
1970 911E Targa - 'Crystal Blue'/Black

Past:
1968 912 Targa 'Polo Red'
1970 911 T Coupe
1983 944
1972 914 2.0
1984 911 SC Coupe
1986 944 Turbo
1960 356 B Cab
1954 356 Pre-A Cab 'Azure Blue'
1960 356 B Roadster
1964 356 C Cab
1959 356 Convertible D
1964 356 Carrera 2 Coupe 'Königsblau'
1965 356 C Cab 'Signal Red'
1990 Carrera 4 Coupe
1997 Boxster
1997 Boxster #2
1973 911T Sunroof 'Signal Yellow'
2007 997 Carrera S 'Signal Green'
I think Eduardo's 09/08/2010 post will come into play once these hit the 3 year mark with leases expiring and others selling theirs to get the latest and greatest.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Janko
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So as a buyer in this market looking to pull trigger on one in the next 24-48 (finalizing with dealer) i am curious to hear the thoughts regarding it being collectible and actually doing a great job on holding it's value. The one i have on hold is a very well specd model and has 6-speed and Carbon Buckets so i believe it will pull at the strings of a purist much more than others. Last question the limited production of 2012 really matter?

Thanks so much for the insight and I look forward to joining the "club" here very shortly!

Chris
Old 06-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

It does appear that Spyders are holding their price. Most seem to be about 12% -15% off of their full list prices which is good for a new car.

The one thing I can say about the Spyder which has been consistent from the first day I've owned it is the comments it gets. Most have never seen it and those that have always comment about how beautiful it is. Many also comment about wanting to buy one eventually.

For those that aren't familiar, when you start explaining the unique features everyone asks if it came from the factory that way and what was standard and what was options. The crazy thing is that the beauty is a small part of this cars attraction, the driving is really where it's at. I genuinely thing that's a good recipe for a long term collector car.

In the end though you are buying the car for you, future value shouldn't be a part of the equation.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:33 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Janko
Last question the limited production of 2012 really matter?
Since the 2012 models are no different, condition, mileage, options, and color, in that order, are what I see differentiating high-dollar cars.

If the transaction doesn't work out on the one you have in mind, look for mine a couple pages back in the classifieds here - under 5k miles, perfect car. I haven't been actively selling it, but will be soon.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:28 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I was leaving VIR after the Porsche Club race on Sunday and there was a white one in line to get in with the Corvette club to do a DE. Anyone here ? It is such a stunning car and reminded me to go home and drive mine. I've put 3k on it in 2 years. I have owned my share of 911's over the years but have never got the attention that a Spyder brings at gas stations and Parking lots. Still in love with it and consider it a moving work of art.

Quick Reply: Current Spyder Market