Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

18" track wheel for my spyder: which one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 01:26 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Not me. I'm the one taking the pictures. He's a good buddy of mine who tracks with us.
Ah, I see. Was just wondering if I could tease you for starting to go bald.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:40 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Ah, I see. Was just wondering if I could tease you for starting to go bald.
LOL. You might be able to tease me for some gray, but I've got a pretty thick head of hair, thankfully.

I've told my buddy to just shave his head so many times. He's warming up to the idea...
Old 11-07-2012, 12:16 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 85 Posts

Joe, Bensf, Vetman, and any others using harnesses in their Spyder:
I see you guys have your shoulder harnesses attached to the factory roll bar as I used to do. But I recently fabricated a very easy and inexpensive "harness bar" for my Spyder.
It mounts between the 2 main factory bars that are behind the seat or behind the carpeted panel that is just below the cross bars where you mounted your harnesses. Its about $25 in parts and a couple hours to make it and install it. I will try and take some pictures of it in the next day or so if you guys have any interest in it.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:19 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by bensf
Finally took delivery of a second set of track wheels. These are the Fikse Contour 10.

Attachment 676854
very nice and SPENDY
Old 11-07-2012, 12:21 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Why does Porsche use bolts instead of studs? Swapping wheels is such a pain.

==> not sure. up to 993, they used studs.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:36 AM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
I see you guys have your shoulder harnesses attached to the factory roll bar as I used to do. But I recently fabricated a very easy and inexpensive "harness bar" for my Spyder.
It mounts between the 2 main factory bars that are behind the seat or behind the carpeted panel that is just below the cross bars where you mounted your harnesses. Its about $25 in parts and a couple hours to make it and install it. I will try and take some pictures of it in the next day or so if you guys have any interest in it.
Matt - I am definitely interested. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:44 AM
bensf
Racer

Originally Posted by mooty
very nice and SPENDY
They turned out to be not much more expensive than the CCW's after Pacific Western Performance's special pricing. Thanks for the good deal on the front tires Mooty.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:28 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Matt, I'm definitely interested in learning more too. A DIY would be fantastic and very valuable to the community. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2012, 07:38 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 85 Posts

Here are some pics from my phone.
I have removed the carpeted piece of foam. I did trim it first and made it fit when the harnesses are rolled up and stuffed behind this bar.

This is a ROUGH "prototype".
I plan to make it look a bit nicer by using some more finished looking pieces to wrap around the roll bar where the u-bolt is. And also use either a black u-bolt or something that looks better.

But anyway, here is what I did:
Went to machine shop and asked them for a piece of tubing 47" long (I am not 100% sure on the length - might be 46")
Got some rubber heater hose and some u-bolts from the hardware store. And also some plastic plugs for the ends of the steel bar.

I notched the steel bar where it attaches to the factory roll bar, drilled holes for the u-bolt, wrapped the heater hose around the roll bar to protect the paint, and then bolted the bar in.
This is a quick description.
I will try and do a more detailed explanation when I have a little more time and also verify the size of the steel and the u-bolts.

I plan on trying to get some urethane bushing or something like that to replace the heater hose, and try to find some grade 8 u-bolts to use. Then paint the u-bolts black or maybe use some shrink tubing to cover them.

This design is very simple and effective in my opinion, but I do not guarantee the safety or make any other guarantees.
Attached Images      
Old 11-07-2012, 08:13 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for posting. I'm going to have to take a look at my car later tonight to see how you did this...
Old 11-12-2012, 10:58 PM
bensf
Racer

Here are some pics from my phone.
I have removed the carpeted piece of foam. I did trim it first and made it fit when the harnesses are rolled up and stuffed behind this bar.

This is a ROUGH "prototype".
I plan to make it look a bit nicer by using some more finished looking pieces to wrap around the roll bar where the u-bolt is. And also use either a black u-bolt or something that looks better.

But anyway, here is what I did:
Went to machine shop and asked them for a piece of tubing 47" long (I am not 100% sure on the length - might be 46")
Got some rubber heater hose and some u-bolts from the hardware store. And also some plastic plugs for the ends of the steel bar.

I notched the steel bar where it attaches to the factory roll bar, drilled holes for the u-bolt, wrapped the heater hose around the roll bar to protect the paint, and then bolted the bar in.
This is a quick description.
I will try and do a more detailed explanation when I have a little more time and also verify the size of the steel and the u-bolts.

I plan on trying to get some urethane bushing or something like that to replace the heater hose, and try to find some grade 8 u-bolts to use. Then paint the u-bolts black or maybe use some shrink tubing to cover them.

This design is very simple and effective in my opinion, but I do not guarantee the safety or make any other guarantees.
Thanks Matt. This is a very clever solution.

Quick Reply: 18" track wheel for my spyder: which one?