Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

18" track wheel for my spyder: which one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 05:24 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Some pics.
Attached Images    
Old 10-24-2012, 05:43 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Matt,

Awesome pics! I love what you did with the car, very nice!
Old 10-24-2012, 06:11 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last pic - Some say, he likes his Spyder with French headlights. All we know is, he is called the Stig.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:07 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:10 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
I wore the outer edges of the front tires because I had very little neg camber. So I had an alignment done and I decided to try the Hankook z214's. They are faster than the nitto's for sure.
What tire sizes? I guess the 245/35/18 and 275/35/18 sizes would keep the correct front to rear diameter. Looks like they cost less than the NT01's too. Not sure I'd want to drive to and from the track on those though!
Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the compliments guys.

As for the tire sizes - I ran the 245/40 and 275/40 in the Nittos and 245/35 and 275/35 in the Hankooks. I dont think I would have got the hankooks if I had to drive to and from the track. I have a basic open trailer I use to get the car there. Although in some ways I would prefer to have the Nittos and be able to just drive to and from.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:36 PM
bensf
Racer

I have a set of the Victor Innsbruck wheels in 10x18 and 8x18. I first had NT01's on them for track and they were great tires in my opinion. The weight was roughly the same for the entire combo of wheels and tires vs the stock 19" Spyder wheel with the stock rubber. I think it might have saved 2 or 4 pounds overall (for all 4 not each) if I remember right. The wheels are "roll forged" I think is the term used for them. Different than the other Victor wheels. I am pretty happy with them. They seem to be pretty strong considering I hit the front of the inside curb of turn 10 at VIR where there was a little "pot hole" pretty hard. I thought for sure the wheel would be bent but it doesnt seem to be at all.
I wore the outer edges of the front tires because I had very little neg camber. So I had an alignment done and I decided to try the Hankook z214's. They are faster than the nitto's for sure.
At VIR on the full course I was running 2:10's and 2:11's back in May. That was on a very mild alignment with hardly any neg camber. I did do the GT3 front sway bar and Tarret rear bar though.
Last month I had a more aggressive alignment (i think 2.5 degrees neg camber up front) and on the Hankooks I was running consistent 2:08's and 2:09's with a couple 2:07's thrown in.
I was very impressed with this car! It is probably the most fun Porsche street car I have ever owned.
Your car looks awesome! What size and compound were the Hankook z214's. Looking forward to giving them a try.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:43 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Thanks.
245/35/18 and 275/35/18
I believe they are c51 or something like that. They are the ones for road course not the soft autocross ones.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:24 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bensf
Your car looks awesome! What size and compound were the Hankook z214's. Looking forward to giving them a try.
Look out! The king is moving onto slicks! How the hell am I ever going to catch up to you now? Although the move does makes sense given that you've reached the limits of your current setup. I guess the z214s are DOT approved, but driving them to the track might be a waste of wear since they're so soft. Are you gonna hook up a mini trailer to the spyder?
Old 10-25-2012, 11:32 AM
bensf
Racer

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Look out! The king is moving onto slicks! How the hell am I ever going to catch up to you now? Although the move does makes sense given that you've reached the limits of your current setup. I guess the z214s are DOT approved, but driving them to the track might be a waste of wear since they're so soft. Are you gonna hook up a mini trailer to the spyder?
I just want to experience them once and see how close I can get to 2:00 at Thill and 1:50 at SP. These tires should get me under 1:40 at LS. I'm not planning on getting a trailer so I would drive on them to the track. Probably wait until the Spring of next year as I don't want to get caught in the rain and they probably work better during warmer weather. I may end up only using them at Sears Point since it's so close to home.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:39 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

At VIR on the full course I was running 2:10's and 2:11's back in May. That was on a very mild alignment with hardly any neg camber. I did do the GT3 front sway bar and Tarret rear bar though.
Last month I had a more aggressive alignment (i think 2.5 degrees neg camber up front) and on the Hankooks I was running consistent 2:08's and 2:09's with a couple 2:07's thrown in.
I was very impressed with this car! It is probably the most fun Porsche street car I have ever owned.
Matt, that's some great driving. I saw your car at VIR in May and I consistently timed you as you listed above. In fact, you were so fast that I was wondering if your Spyder was turbocharged... I had no idea it was so close to stock!!!

For those who aren't familiar with VIR, only race cars and V8 Atoms were quicker (around 2:04-6 or so, though some race cars are under 2:00)...

It sounds and looks like Hankook Z214's may be a cheaper alternative to Hoosier R6's? BTW, these are not racing slicks. Anyway, I have a standard to measure against when I go back there in November (first time in a Spyder). I'll be happy if I'm in 2:20's (street tires).

Last edited by the_vetman; 02-23-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:28 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bensf
I just want to experience them once and see how close I can get to 2:00 at Thill and 1:50 at SP. These tires should get me under 1:40 at LS. I'm not planning on getting a trailer so I would drive on them to the track. Probably wait until the Spring of next year as I don't want to get caught in the rain and they probably work better during warmer weather. I may end up only using them at Sears Point since it's so close to home.
Just once?
Old 10-26-2012, 12:24 AM
bensf
Racer

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Just once?
You better hope so. If I end up liking them I will be talking you into them as well.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:03 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Matt, that's some great driving. I saw your car at VIR in May and I consistently timed you as you listed above. In fact, you were so fast that I was wondering if your Spyder was turbocharged... I had no idea it was so close to stock!!!

For those who aren't familiar with VIR, only well-driven GT3 RS's and full-on race cars were quicker (around 2:04-6 or so)...

It sounds and looks like Hankook Z214's may be a cheaper alternative to Hoosier R6's? BTW, these are not racing slicks. Anyway, I have a standard to measure against when I go back there in November (first time in a Spyder). I'll be happy if I'm in 2:20's (street tires).
You are too kind. The Spyder is an incredibly capable car - even in stock form except for the sway bars - much more than I imagined!
I was going to do a 3.8 conversion but the motor deal fell through. I bet with an additional 75-85 HP this car would be faster than a GT3RS or at least very close - with equal drivers in each. But in some ways I am glad the car is pretty much stock. I dont feel like I am "cheating" so to speak. I did do a softronic tune but I dont think it made any real big difference from stock. If anything it may have a bit more top end hp but I would want to dyno to verify that. They claim it adds 10hp though.
It is funny getting surprised looks from Gt3 guys and Vette guys. They dont expect a Boxster to be that fast around the track. Of course on the straights they just eat me up....
From what I am told the Hankooks are not quite as fast as the Hoosiers but they supposedly last longer and are much cheaper. I will probably use them again (if I dont go back to Nittos so I can just drive to the track.)

When are you going in November and with what group? I may try and get in if I have the time to go.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:30 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

When are you going in November and with what group? I may try and get in if I have the time to go.
I'm going November 2-4 with NNJR. My final DE of the year. I think Carolina region has another DE at VIR in mid-November. Hope to see you around!

Quick Reply: 18" track wheel for my spyder: which one?