Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder FINALLY on the Transport Truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012 | 10:03 PM
countrysquire
Rennlist Member

Default Spyder FINALLY on the Transport Truck

Was scheduled to be picked up Tuesday and here by this weekend. Finally picked up late today and due here Monday or Tuesday. I really wanted it here for this weekend, but oh well. My birthday is Tuesday, so maybe it will be here for that. Frickin' lying transport companies...
Old 07-20-2012 | 12:12 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Congratulations on your new Spyder. Let me take a guess at the steering wheel in your Avatar photo. Deep Dish VDM. Aluminum spokes. Available on early B cars, but would fit later C cars too. What year is your 356? Brings back memories of my 20 years in the 356 world!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado

PS Happy Birthday next Tuesday! Can't think of a nicer present than taking delivery of a Spyder on that day!
Old 07-20-2012 | 10:28 AM
countrysquire
Rennlist Member

Thanks Eduardo. It's hard to tell in the little avatar photo, but it's a Les Leston in my late '65 SC. It's the only option on the car and was probably dealer installed. Here's a photo from a couple months ago after I restored the machine turned finish on the spokes, which had completely worn off.
Old 07-20-2012 | 10:57 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by countrysquire
Thanks Eduardo. It's hard to tell in the little avatar photo, but it's a Les Leston in my late '65 SC. It's the only option on the car and was probably dealer installed. Here's a photo from a couple months ago after I restored the machine turned finish on the spokes, which had completely worn off.
The wheel looks vaguely familiar since I have one on my garage wall. That is a LL factory 'machine turned' finish on mine since it's NOS. But it's just a generic wheel which could have been mounted on a variety of cars of the period! My all time favorite aftermarket wheel for a B/C 356 are the 60's vintage large diameter Nardi's (last photo). That is great 'machine turning' restoration on your Les Leston. Who did the work - Bruce Crawford?

Beautiful 356 SC. Hope you enjoy your new Spyder!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images    
Old 07-20-2012 | 09:31 PM
countrysquire
Rennlist Member

Did the machine turning myself. This is the same wheel that was installed on the 904.
Old 07-20-2012 | 09:50 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Eduardo, when did you start collecting all the wall art? Beautiful!!
Old 07-21-2012 | 12:07 AM
countrysquire
Rennlist Member

I've got wall art envy!
Old 07-21-2012 | 01:14 AM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by countrysquire
I've got wall art envy!
+1, beautiful collection.
Old 07-22-2012 | 06:44 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pdxjim
Eduardo, when did you start collecting all the wall art? Beautiful!!
I started collecting rare or NOS Porsche 356 parts around 1987 and it just grew from there. This is just the visible tip of the iceberg...I still have a storage unit filled with parts in California! All was accumulated pretty much before the age of eBay. Mostly at swap meets across the country.

The first photo show the Colorado garage. My best collection of Rallye plates and trophies is located at my smaller garage in Carmel (2nd photo). I decided long ago that if I was going to spend all this effort and money on memorabilia, I needed to display it correctly. I hope I have at least partially achieved that goal with the presentation in these two garages!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, CO

PS CountrySquire: Post photos of your Spyder when it arrives on Tuesday!
Attached Images   

Last edited by Z356; 07-23-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-22-2012 | 09:19 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Beautiful!!
Old 07-24-2012 | 09:13 AM
countrysquire
Rennlist Member

The Spyder is now OFF the transport truck. Arrived filthy, as expected, so I had to give it a quick bath before I could take it for a ride. The condition of the car is great and the description by the dealer was spot on. Here are my initial impressions:

I don't think that I could love the seats more, just need to find a better method of getting in and out!

Suspension is much firmer than my 996.

Wind noise is much less than I anticipated with the top either on or off.

You don't really have to steer, brake, or accelerate. Just think about where you want the car to go and it telepathically gets there. It's like magic. I will have absolutely nothing to blame the car for at my next DE.

Brake pedal feel is MUCH better than my 996.

The top is easier to R&R than I expected.

It might be difficult to keep my wife out of the driver's seat...

Old 07-24-2012 | 09:21 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Sweet! Congrats. Mine is still a few weeks away.

Oh... and happy birthday!!
Old 07-24-2012 | 09:27 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

Can't remember the seats you got but in my case with a bad back and sport bucket seats I simply put my left hand on the door sill and push down to lift me over the seat bolster. The right hand is on the steering wheel. Becomes very natural after a while. My wife is only 5'2" so i had a removable cushion made for her. Makes it far easier for her to get out over the side bolster. At 70 we both are very happy with the sport bucket seats in the Spyder and the Cayman. In my mind the best seats Porsche offers. Enjoy the Spyder, it has to be the most fun out of the box car Porsche makes.
Old 07-24-2012 | 12:47 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congratulations!

I agree, the car is telepathic. When you've been behind the wheel of a Spyder for a while you realize just how inadequate other cars really are when it comes to "driving".

Enjoy in good health.
Old 07-24-2012 | 01:08 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Love the silver. Post more pics when you get her all cleaned up!

Quick Reply: Spyder FINALLY on the Transport Truck