Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)
View Poll Results: Would you trade/sell your Spyder or Cayman R for the 981?
Yes, Definitely
10.98%
No, Not for Me
64.63%
To Early to Say
24.39%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Spyder / Cayman R Owners, Would You Sell to Buy a 981?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 09:51 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

For me, a 981 variant isn't going to be a sufficiently better car as compared to my CR. I'd more likely go to a 991 Turbo (provided it's not heavier than the current car) or GT3. A stripped manual 991 GT3 would really be my preference.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:58 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I voted "Hell No!" and here's why...

A lot of the cool stuff found on the new 911 and new Boxster were tested on our Sypders.

I still have more HP than the Boxster.

The Spyder still drives better and looks better, IMO...

However, if you ask me whether I might in the future own a 981 as a DD, then quite possibly yes.

Last edited by medtech; 05-08-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:26 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I almost got a spyder but I found it to be too loud and the single layer top wasn't sufficient enough at keeping the heat out in the middle of a typical vegas summer even with the a/c at full blast. I still lust for it. It was an awesome car to test drive and I'm sure its even better when you own one and really open it up. And as much as I loved it and wanted it, it would be too hard to live with as a 2nd car. Maybe as a 3rd car I could've justified it.

I want a 991 but the girlfriend wants me to get a boxster or cayman and spend the difference on our wedding. Or I could just get a 991 and drop her. I will probably be happy with any porsche in the end.

The spyder is in the top 3 of sexiest porsche cars imho.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:59 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 949 Likes on 448 Posts

For me the Spyder would be a perfect third car. The 981, an ideal second car.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

We have two DD's in the family and the Spyder is a third car. There was a stretch earlier this year where I used the Spyder three days in a row and didn't touch the DD's. There is no better way to highlight the deficiencies in your DD's (or probably any other car for that matter) than driving a Spyder. It is crazy just how much feedback the car provides and more importantly how intuitive it is to drive. Telepathic.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hakaida702
I almost got a spyder but I found it to be too loud and the single layer top wasn't sufficient enough at keeping the heat out in the middle of a typical vegas summer even with the a/c at full blast. I still lust for it. It was an awesome car to test drive and I'm sure its even better when you own one and really open it up. And as much as I loved it and wanted it, it would be too hard to live with as a 2nd car. Maybe as a 3rd car I could've justified it.

I want a 991 but the girlfriend wants me to get a boxster or cayman and spend the difference on our wedding. Or I could just get a 991 and drop her. I will probably be happy with any porsche in the end.

The spyder is in the top 3 of sexiest porsche cars imho.
FYI- I live in Fresno where it gets just as hot as Vegas. There are no issues at all with the top keeping the heat out. Half the time I just have the Bikini top installed without the back part of the top on, A/C works perfectly that way also......even when 100+ out.

The A/C and the top are a non issue if you actually own the car and drive it.

Yes, the top can be a little noisy than other cars, but if you are complaining about noise, this car was not made for you.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:41 PM
pbs
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting question and thank you for putting it on the forum.

I own a Boxster Spyder since 7/2011. It was purchased new tailored to my specs, including PDK and steering wheel with paddles, Sport Chrono Plus, Sport exhaust, PCCB, lithium battery, Carrera red interior and platinium grey outside. No A/C: too heavy and useless on this car. The Spyder replaced a Boxster S also purchased new in 2010 as per my specs which included same gearbox and steering wheel, LSD, PASM and comfort features such as heated and ventilated seats. I decided to replace the Boxster S for the Spyder to get purer driving sensations, a desire which gradually built up as I improved my driving skills thanks to several training sessions with the Porsche Driving School. The Spyder is far less comfortable, versatile and practicable than the Boxster S. However, as I do not need a car on a regular basis but just for driving pleasure and holidays, it is spot on.

After one year of joyful driving in all possible conditions, including several track sessions, I find that there are 2-3 improvements I would not mind getting in the future: a shorter final gear ratio to improve accelerations (top speed in this car is not that relevant, plus the PDK has a very long final gear ratio), an upgraded PDK (on the 991/981 I understand that the upgraded were limited to modified electronics a reinforced clutch disk) and possibly the 350hp upgrade as is available on the 991 3.4 liter version, with more top-end beat. I would like to know the shop which could do it after the manufacturer warranty runs out.

I drove the new 981 S (as well as the 991 S). The 981 S is an improvement on the 987 S. However, it has nothing to do with the Spyder. My first experience with the 981 S was at a Porsche-sponsored event at the Paul Ricard track back in April 2012. My Spyder was clearly faster, even in the long Mistral straight. The 981 is mute relative to the Spyder. Much more insulated from the elements including engine noise (even when the PSE is not turned on the Spyder). As for the quality and sophistication of the ride, the Spyder is far ahead of the 981. In sum, at the same (reasonable) speed, the Spyder offers you greater fun.

The reputable press has consistently said that the Spyder is the best handling Porsche of its generation (for example, Excellence Magazine).

There is an interesting video and article published by evo on a match between a Spyder and an R8 v8, with the former ahead of the latter on the track.

Regarding style, it is a personal question. Personally, I regret that some of the specific beautiful attributes of the 987 Boxster S are gone with the new 981: there are now sharp angles on the body of the 981 in lieu of nice and subtle curves throughout, and the font on the dashboard is the depressingly boring square font used on all 911s, in lieu of the original beautiful italics font of the Boxster since its creation in 1997. As for the Spyder vs 981 match regarding style, I do not think it is worth spending time arguing, as the Spyder is just spectacular.

Then there is the question of exclusivity. It took Porsche 13 years after launching the Boxster to make the Spyder. The Spyder was produced for only two years. The production volume was only a fraction (1/10th?) of that of the Boxster / Boxster S and a fraction of a fraction of the production volumes of the 997. The Spyder includes so many substantive changes relative to the standard Boxster S that for that matter alone it is expected to be a future collector or, at least be much more attractive than usual Boxsters on the second-hand market in the future. If you want to explore the question of exclusivity further, you may be interested in comparing the differences brought about in the Spyder relative to the 987 S, on the one hand, with those introduced on the +200k euro 997 Speedster relative to the 997 C2S convertible, on the other hand. The more exclusive car may come as a surprise to you.

In addition, most Spyders sold were with white outside paint / standard black plastic interior. There are very, very few Spyders with the beautiful combination of silver metallic outside and red leather inside, truly reminiscent of the old ‘50s and ‘60s racing spyders. Mine for example earned a national beauty contest the first time it entered it … and was picked up for the cover photo of the 2012 European Parade in Chantilly for those who would like to check.

Finally, you may enjoy possessing a car that is and feels special, a car that requires more determination to purchase and use than the (duller?) mass-production models.

I therefore agree with Mooty above. It would be foolish to sell the Spyder for the 981, if you really meant buying a Spyder in the first place.

Personally, I will keep my Spyder it for as long as I can. There is only one car I would sell it for and it is not a Porsche, but the 458 Spider … but this forum is not the place to discuss this point I presume.

Cheers from France
PBS
Old 09-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

@ PBS please post up pictures of your Spyder ... sounds beautiful
Old 09-21-2012, 02:49 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

PBS: Awesome first post. Please post pictures of your car!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:40 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the people I work with did exactly this. She bought a Boxster Spyder, but was too small to remove and install the top. When her husband had some medical problems and couldn't lift the top, they decided to put an order in on a 981 S. Her car came as as one of the first launch cars.

Originally Posted by f4 plt
The new cars (981, 991) may be nice but they are moving away from the 'sports car" and into more GT car arena
This is very contrary to the truth, particularly with the 981. The 981 did not have significant dimension changes, but gained a very improved interior, better handling chassis and lighter weight. All tests so far show the 981 S is quicker than the 987 S and matches performance of the 987 Boxster Spyder. Styling wise, it was a huge step forward with and even better look than the new 991.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:47 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

My Aqua Blue Spyder is a keeper.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Only1Buck
@ PBS please post up pictures of your Spyder ... sounds beautiful
+1 and Welcome to Rennlist!

Porsche did a fantastic job with the 981. The exterior lines are stunning and the design is very modern and tasteful. The interior of the 981 is a vast improvement over the 987 just like the 987 was a vast improvement over the 986. A Big jump in overall appearance.

But the 981 is not what I'm looking for in a sports car. I really don't want the added electronic gadgets and I would have preferred paying the extra money for exotic materials to further lighten the car. I'm keeping my Basalt Spyder and will likely add a titanium exhaust and lightweight battery to reduce the weight even more.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:09 PM
sbrsport
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Simple question, would you consider selling to get the 981?

I know the question is a bit premature since the 981 isn't yet available and no one has driven it with exception to the motoring press.

What's your take on the 981?
Long time reader, first time poster. Just bought my Spyder. Drove a 981 Boxster first (because it was the newest thing). Did not particularly like it. Felt "softer" and more disconnected than my current Cayman S. Then drove the Spyder and fell in love. So, no, would not trade.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:20 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbrsport
Long time reader, first time poster. Just bought my Spyder. Drove a 981 Boxster first (because it was the newest thing). Did not particularly like it. Felt "softer" and more disconnected than my current Cayman S. Then drove the Spyder and fell in love. So, no, would not trade.
Welcome to Rennlist and congrats on the Spyder!

Which Spyder did you get and how about some pictures.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:43 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

i posted this in pistonheads:

The roof is a pain.

but folks buy this car because they
1. love the looks
2. love that it looks and is unique
3. think it is a bargain
4. love the handling/precision/balance

4-1 that's the way to look at it.......

any other way and you put doubt into the process. This car is all about love

the current 981 boxster will never fulfil criteria 2 but doesn't have a fiddly roof. With the other points, everyone can have their personal preference. Against the 981 boxster for me, it is still 4-1....

Quick Reply: Spyder / Cayman R Owners, Would You Sell to Buy a 981?