Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

There are some deals around on new '12 Cayman R's!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 04:25 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 4forme
Found THE car. Thanks for all the leads guys, Much appreciated. Hope to have it in my hands by the time I get back from spring break
How on earth did you and kyrocks BOTH manage to get a GT3 AND wives that want to track a CR??!?
Old 03-16-2012, 07:48 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are several reasons why there are a lot of these cars available. Every article that compared the Cayman R to a Boxster Spyder, it lost. It simply doesn't perform as well and has little to distinguish it from a regular Cayman S with all the sport options. The new Cayman is a year away, not even announced yet and the Cayman R is still in production. Did they build too many? Probably, because there just wasn't much demand for it to begin with.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:37 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We used to be neighbors before he moved to Dallas. We tend to enable each other's ridiculous automobile expenditures

It took many years of mind bending training to mold the thought processes of our respective spouses......yeah right! Both women understand the automobile obsession and are quit supportive and actually enjoy driving in their own right. My wife had a '11 Z4 3.5is last year, which was a nice cruiser but a whale on the track. I asked her advice on colors for a 991s cab I was going to order and she said "wait a minute when do I get a new track car?" I didn't argue and the 991s cab order will wait until next spring and I emailed my dealer later that night to find a (in my wife's words), "sparkly green" cayman R. Porsche of Omaha performed the impossible and two dealer trades to get the only Peridot Cayman R with bucket seats left in the US which will shortly be on the way to Iowa.

Originally Posted by orthojoe
How on earth did you and kyrocks BOTH manage to get a GT3 AND wives that want to track a CR??!?
Old 03-17-2012, 12:21 AM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
So which one did you buy? Details please!
Peridot Green
Sport buckets (if she doesn't like them, I'll be posting for a trade for sport seats)
PDK
Sport chrono
AC
base sound system
PCM Nav
Sat radio

Thinking of adding rennline pedals and studs, PSE, RSS LCAs, GT3 master cylinder and Pagid Yellows plus some 18" Forgelines and NT01's and having Classic 9 leather cover the lower dash, radio surrounds, and console cover in alcantara to match the seat inserts and arm rests.

Pics to follow in a couple weeks.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:12 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 205 Posts

A buddy of mine and myself both got almost 10% off MSRP on new Cayman R's in the last month...Im sure they want to move them.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:32 PM
IanRuz
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys I need some advice:
I own a 2004 Turbo Cab, about 8,000 miles on it. I am thinking about trading it in for the 2012 Cayman R, loaded with AC air etc. Am I crazy????
I need to make the decision in the next 24 hours.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:41 PM
IanRuz
4th Gear

Originally Posted by kyrocks
A buddy of mine and myself both got almost 10% off MSRP on new Cayman R's in the last month...Im sure they want to move them.
what dealership gave you 10% off?
Old 03-22-2012, 06:31 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IanRuz
guys I need some advice:
I own a 2004 Turbo Cab, about 8,000 miles on it. I am thinking about trading it in for the 2012 Cayman R, loaded with AC air etc. Am I crazy????
I need to make the decision in the next 24 hours.
They are so different, there's little to compare.
I assume you drove the R. What 'grabbed' you?
Old 03-22-2012, 07:42 PM
IanRuz
4th Gear

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
They are so different, there's little to compare.
I assume you drove the R. What 'grabbed' you?
it was a much more visceral experience, felt I had more control of the car.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:49 PM
IanRuz
4th Gear

should I worry about value on the cars. I can probably get in the 60K range for the 911 after 8 years. What will the 911 be worth in 4/5 years and what will happen to the Cayman in 4/5 years. I know thats a lot of speculation but everyone is talking about the new Cayman although, they will not be making the R next year? and the '12 will be quicker than the '13 Cayman.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I gave up on concerning myself with what the cars value would be in a few years and started focusing on the entire ownership experience. For me that included the visceral experience, the looks, the reliability and most importantly the fun factor.

But if you are concerned about value I would guess that the overall loss will be higher initially on the Cayman R but will level out with the 911 within a few years.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:50 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IanRuz
should I worry about value on the cars. I can probably get in the 60K range for the 911 after 8 years. What will the 911 be worth in 4/5 years and what will happen to the Cayman in 4/5 years. I know thats a lot of speculation but everyone is talking about the new Cayman although, they will not be making the R next year? and the '12 will be quicker than the '13 Cayman.
Will the Cayman be a DD, a track toy, or something else?

I bought the R as a daily driver primarily for the suspension. I don't like PASM and I don't like electronic nannies.

If the priority is resale value, I'd bet on a Spyder; most of the same pluses and it's more 'special'.

That said, I believe that if you buy the R right (the 10% off that people are talking about), I think you'll do fine financially. IMO, cars are only getting less visceral - too electronic, too many nannies, too much isolation, too much softness.

Quick Reply: There are some deals around on new '12 Cayman R's!