Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Data on oil pressure drop in my Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:57 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Data on oil pressure drop in my Spyder

So I've been playing around with the data I logged with my AiM Solo DL. This data is from my 2011 Boxster Spyder on stock PS2s at Thunderhill. Data was obtained through a CAN bus line connection

Scatterplot oil pressure vs. rpm

Scatterplot oil pressure vs. Longitudinal Gs

Scatterplot oil pressure vs. Lateral Gs

Largest pressure drop is at turn 14

Pressure drop experienced at turn 11

Pressure drop at turn 5

I'm no expert at any of this stuff, so I'll leave it up to you guys to interpret these graphs. Is the pressure drop low enough to cause concern?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:33 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No warning light=no worries.

I do seem to remember a warning in the manual about the use of R compound tires causing low oil pressure in prolonged turns. Maybe your graphs are showing that there is a limit to the stock oil system's capabilities.

BD
Old 03-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Have you collected data during street driving?
It might be interesting to see what is 'normal'.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:41 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Bill, are you looking for data on what the pressure is at highway cruising speeds, and slow speed street driving? I can easily do that. Let me know specifically what you're looking for. The only thing I can't do is pull 1+ Gs on the street.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Well, to my inexperienced eye, that oil pressure fluctuation seems to be mostly based on rpm. I know in a 911 (that has a proper oil pressure gauge), the pressure varies with rpm.

So, to see if the track behavior is normal or not, a baseline of oil pressure with street driving may be helpful. If the pressure drop at a red light or while coasting on a highway is similar to the lowest oil pressure you are seeing on the track, then it's probably fine and nothing to worry about. If the track pressure drops more than in normal driving, then it may be an issue.

Having all those channels of data without knowing what is 'normal' is confusing.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Based on observing the oil pressure gage of my Turbo during all kinds of driving (except track/auto-X which I do not do, but I do once in a while take a spirited spin through the twisties...) that oil pressure looks ok.

IIRC between 2K and 3K rpms the oil pressure climbs to 4bar and above 3K rpms to 4.5bar and to 5 bar at 5K and higher. This is with Mobil 1 0W-40 oil and of course with everything up to temperature. Hot idle oil pressure runs between (roughly the gage is just a needle) 1.75 bar to 2 bar, depending upon ambient temp and the miles on the oil. (But never over 5K miles because I change the oil every 5K miles.)

If your engine really had any oiling issues at high rpms on the track (or anywhere else) you'd know it and how.

The only thing I can add is that if you're going to continue to track the car you might consider adding a oil pressure back up system just in case the engine oil pump sucks a bit of air. Accu-sump or something like that? This system will give you some extra insurance and peace of mind so you can stay 100% focused on your driving.

Such a system should do two things: supply sufficient oil and at sufficient pressure (momentarily) to prevent engine damage; and signal it had to do so so you know the engine came this >< close to destruction and you can take further steps to ensure it never gets that close to destruction again.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:09 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
If the pressure drop at a red light or while coasting on a highway is similar to the lowest oil pressure you are seeing on the track, then it's probably fine and nothing to worry about. If the track pressure drops more than in normal driving, then it may be an issue.

Having all those channels of data without knowing what is 'normal' is confusing.
You make a great point. If I get some time this weekend I'll do some logging around town to see what we get.

Originally Posted by Macster
Based on observing the oil pressure gage of my Turbo during all kinds of driving (except track/auto-X which I do not do, but I do once in a while take a spirited spin through the twisties...) that oil pressure looks ok.

IIRC between 2K and 3K rpms the oil pressure climbs to 4bar and above 3K rpms to 4.5bar and to 5 bar at 5K and higher. This is with Mobil 1 0W-40 oil and of course with everything up to temperature. Hot idle oil pressure runs between (roughly the gage is just a needle) 1.75 bar to 2 bar, depending upon ambient temp and the miles on the oil. (But never over 5K miles because I change the oil every 5K miles.)

If your engine really had any oiling issues at high rpms on the track (or anywhere else) you'd know it and how.

The only thing I can add is that if you're going to continue to track the car you might consider adding a oil pressure back up system just in case the engine oil pump sucks a bit of air. Accu-sump or something like that? This system will give you some extra insurance and peace of mind so you can stay 100% focused on your driving.

Such a system should do two things: supply sufficient oil and at sufficient pressure (momentarily) to prevent engine damage; and signal it had to do so so you know the engine came this >< close to destruction and you can take further steps to ensure it never gets that close to destruction again.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Thanks macster. I'm running 5w50 in the car right now. I figured the pressure drops weren't enough to be concerned, but I thought it would interesting to get everyone's take on the data. The spyder only gets tracked 2-3 times per year, so I'm not planning on doing any heroic measures. Appreciate the input.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:13 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Well, to my inexperienced eye, that oil pressure fluctuation seems to be mostly based on rpm.
Take a look at the graphs below the scatter plots. Those are time vs oil P. There is a definite dip in the oil pressure at high G, low speed turns. The question is: is the drop from the low rpm or the high G? How can we distinguish?
Old 03-22-2012, 11:39 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

More data:

lateral G vs rpm scatterplot:

time plot of rpm and oil pressure:

I guess the only way to know if it's rpm or Gs that are causing the pressure drop is to shift into second before these turns and looking at the pressure then.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:51 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I haven't tracked as of yet but typically when I corner at high G's and low speeds I'm not on the gas and RPM's aren't that high either, so the readings would make sense to me.

Quick Reply: Data on oil pressure drop in my Spyder