Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

LiON battery retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 06:02 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default LiON battery retrofit

Hi,

I am due to collect my Cayman R from the dealer in about a month. It is currently being built. The car was spec.ed without LiON battery because I intend to transfer the existing LiON battery from my boxster spyder to the CR.

The dealer claims that re-programming of the ECU is needed to accept the LiON battery and wants to charge me for it even though I am supplying my own LiON battery. I thought that CR, spyders and GT3 models were built to accept the LiON battery from 2010 onwards and it was simply a case of plug and play. Is this correct?

Also, I think it should be part of the PDI and I shouldn't be charged. Also I would like to have the windows lower a little when the trunk is open and I understand this feature can be programmed in as well. If I am going to be charged for it, I might as well find out what other useful features can be added at the same time. Thanks
Old 01-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

khooni: Keep up posted in your negotiations with dealer. I know you have two homes and two Spyders - one in England and one in the States. What country are you taking delivery of the Cayman R so we know where your dealer is located?

I have read in this forum of several folks (e.g. Allegretto in Chicago area) that installed a Lithium Ion battery (not the factory one but one of the others available in US market) on their Spyder and heard nothing from them about the need of reprogramming their ECU. Also, could you explain to me the need for lowering the windows when opening the trunk. And which trunk (front boot or rear) are you concerned about? I am only aware of lowering the windows when doors are open & closed to create a 'perfect' seal.

Saludos, z356
Old 01-14-2012, 05:39 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Hi. I am taking delivery of a aqua metallic blue CR in the UK. I understand you have a spyder in AMB as well

unfortunately I have not seen the pic.s .. mind posting them here?

Just when I thought it was not meant to be, on the very last weekend where spec.s had to be locked in, I bagged myself one of the last CRs. Because everything was done last minute and perversely the fact that I was given a hefty discount, made me spec the CR without PCCBs and LiON battery unlike my spyder. I regretted it the following day and tried to make changes but was told by Germany that no further change would be permitted.

I intend to transfer the LiON battery from the spyder to the CR because I intend to use the CR year round whereas the spyder is more of a summer car. Because LiON batteries are rarely spec.ed, there appear to be a lot of conflicting info out in the public and dealer domains.

1 dealer told me it was PNP whilst the dealer whom I am buying the CR from says it requires programming. I am skeptical that it needs programming.

re lowering the windows, apparently you are able to program the windows to lower when the rear trunk is open as well, similar to the doors you mentioned.

I want to get that done during PDI, but judging from the dealer's response it seems like he may want to make me pay for that privilege as well. I hope to talk him out of both things but I do need to know the facts first re the LiON battery.

lastly, I know I am pathetic..... 3 987s .......
Old 01-15-2012, 09:35 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 144 Posts

Since the LiON battery option comes with a lead-acid battery as well, I don't know why they wouldn't both be plug-and-play?
Old 01-15-2012, 09:54 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Alan is correct. When I ordered my Spyder, I also ordered the LiON battery. The car came with the lead battery installed and the LiON in a box. I installed the LiON battery in my 997.1RS without issue. There is no programming necessary.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by khooni
Hi. I am taking delivery of a aqua metallic blue CR in the UK. I understand you have a spyder in AMB as well

unfortunately I have not seen the pic.s .. mind posting them here?

re lowering the windows, apparently you are able to program the windows to lower when the rear trunk is open as well, similar to the doors you mentioned.
Khooni: I had never heard of when opening the rear trunk that it would trigger the side windows to adjust. Tell me how this will be useful to you or any other owner...I am just wondering?

Make sure you post photos of your Aqua Cayman R when it comes in. It should be a beauty. I have seen several R's in that color and they look terrific! Here is a photo of my Aqua Blue Metallic Spyder. You can see more at this link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...tom-order.html

Good luck with your dealer and keep us posted on their ability to get it done right for you at delivery.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2012, 10:42 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer is probably referring to the low voltage warning light on the dash in cars that have the factory option LiON. Otherwise 12V is 12V.

I could see how they would want to charge labor for that re-programming.

You could also have them set drive-off door locking and "welcome home" lighting- these should be part of your pre-delivery set up.

BD
Old 01-19-2012, 06:18 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I didn't know that there will be a low voltage warning light if the regular battery is replaced. Even if there is I could definitely see how everything should be included in the PDI. In any case, I did call suncoast and they think that no further change was necessary just to use the LiON. This is even for non spyder or GT3 models. I will investigate further on this.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:25 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z356
Khooni: I had never heard of when opening the rear trunk that it would trigger the side windows to adjust. Tell me how this will be useful to you or any other owner...I am just wondering?

Make sure you post photos of your Aqua Cayman R when it comes in. It should be a beauty. I have seen several R's in that color and they look terrific! Here is a photo of my Aqua Blue Metallic Spyder. You can see more at this link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...tom-order.html

Good luck with your dealer and keep us posted on their ability to get it done right for you at delivery.

Saludos,
Eduardo
It's the sealing. Because the sealing is so good in a Cayman (apparently), closing the rear trunk can generate positive pressure in the cabin making closing a bigger effort than necessary. if the windows wind down slightly, positive cabin pressure will not be generated. Note. I am only repeating what I have heard, I do not have first hand experience re this.

Eduardo, your spyder is beautiful, red works so well with blue. I almost did it for my CR even without looking at your thread. In the end, the cost and my wife talked me out of it and I spent my budget on the PSE and short shifter instead as well as bixenons and AC. I love your sun visors. that is the 1 part i wished I had known could be optioned in Alcantara in my spyder.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:41 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by khooni

lastly, I know I am pathetic..... 3 987s .......

pathetic???? Or Lucky
Old 01-20-2012, 06:45 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jon70
Alan is correct. When I ordered my Spyder, I also ordered the LiON battery. The car came with the lead battery installed and the LiON in a box. I installed the LiON battery in my 997.1RS without issue. There is no programming necessary.
Jon, I thought some people have charging issues re using the LiON battery in a 997.1 Gt3 because the charging voltage was insufficient to re-charge a LiON battery. And initially, I thought you encountered the same problem? What has changed now?
Old 01-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Khooni,
I thought I was having issues, but it simply was the battery getting low and then beeping the warning. I had initially thought the battery charger may not be able to charge the battery, but I was wrong. The standard charger works fine. I believe the only concern should be using the battery in below freezing temps.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:59 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

i see. so it was simply a matter of driving long enough to charge it sufficiently and you never had problems since. wonderful news that is.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:01 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Eduardo,

as promised, pic.s of CR

The dealer will fit the LiON battery after PDI and not as part of PDI. In the UK, they have to adhere to a standard config and afterwards you can do what you want. In any case, I am waiting until March 1 to get delivery.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:05 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

2nd attempt

Last edited by khooni; 03-03-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Quick Reply: LiON battery retrofit