Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Change of plans....

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayman
I found out why... It's because they are standard for the 2012 MY Spyder:

"Standard for 2012

Electrical Systems

Universal audio interface (Aux-In)
Power windows with tip-up/tip-down driver and passenger side and automatic window lowering (including anti-jam)
Dual speed and intermittent windshield wipers and heatable twin washer nozzle
Electrically adjustable heatable outside mirrors
Central locking system with remote control including luggage compartment release
Bluetooth® hands-free mobile phone connection"
If I'm not mistaken the central locking, auto windows, wipers and audio/bluetooth features were all standardized midstream in the 2011 MY. I'm not sure about the heated washer nozzles and heated mirros, I don't recall seeing a button in my car for these.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:24 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
If I'm not mistaken the central locking, auto windows, wipers and audio/bluetooth features were all standardized midstream in the 2011 MY. I'm not sure about the heated washer nozzles and heated mirros, I don't recall seeing a button in my car for these.
They were changed to free options, but not standard. the online configuration still lists them as options. Regardless of when it became standard... it made me happy.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:49 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, congrats. Kite boarding can take a back seat. What color is the decal?
Old 08-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayman
Nope... It's still available. Somewhere back East... not sure exactly... NJ?
I looked at all Boxster inventory at NJ Porsche dealers in PCNA's website and I can't find the '12 Azure/Carrera Red Spyder listed. If someone can located and point it out to us, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JSF101 has clarified for me that the Meteor Gray Spyder (which was the Detroit Show Car in Jan of '12 and participated as the autocross 'driver' on the Porsche World experience across the country) is the only one in US. This is the one that will be auctioned off soon to the interested Porsche dealers. That leaves three 'new' PTS made for the US market - JSF 101's Speed Yellow, Cayman's Riviera Blue and the perhaps-yet-unsold Azure Blue back East.

The side decals for the Meteor Gray Spyder at Detroit look to me a special 'ghost' black: http://www.dspyda.com/dspyda/Spyder_...Sample.html#21. So we might see this on all three 'new' '12 PTS Spyders. Otherwise, my guess is that the side decals on both the Riviera and Azure Blues PTS will be 'silver gray' as in the Aqua Blue Metallics and true 'black' on the Speed Yellow.

Saludos, z356
Old 08-08-2011, 08:27 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Here you go!
http://euroclassics.porschedealer.co...22243/info.php

They have photos of it too! Not my cup of tea... but that's just me.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:34 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 56 Posts

I currently have the Azure blue Spyder on hold with a deposit and trying to figure out the numbers and whether to trade my white/tan in for this one of a kind PTS version.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:40 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mile2424
I currently have the Azure blue Spyder on hold with a deposit and trying to figure out the numbers and whether to trade my white/tan in for this one of a kind PTS version.
Nice! Would be great to see that all of the PTS were here on Rennlist.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:45 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
Awesome, congrats. Kite boarding can take a back seat. What color is the decal?
Not sure...

I'll still be kiteboarding... I plan on making something to hold the boards on the front seat to prevent any damage from them sliding around. My kites and gear fit fine in both trunks.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
The side decals for the Meteor Gray Spyder at Detroit look to me a special 'ghost' black
Hard to tell anything from auto show lighting, but both of the Meteor cars pictured on the dspyda site look to have standard black stripes to me.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

The lighting in Detroit could have made it appeared 'ghostly', that is for sure. In any case, the Azure (thanks Cayman) has the decal delete option, so we don't have to worry about that one. Personally, I really like the Azure/Carrera Red combination on the Virginia car. It is a very 'sophisticated and elegant' look. Kind of vintage 356 from the early sixties. Mile2424, this is right up your family's 356 tradition! If you can swing it $ wise, I would strongly recommend going for it!

The Meteor Gray of Detroit will have the earliest Vin # since it was produced in late fall of 2010 for the January '11 Auto Show. The Riviera at Walters has Vin #...5178. The Azure has Vin #...5179. My Aqua Blue/Carrera Red custom order has Vin #...5187. JSF101's Speed Yellow has Vin #...5189. All must have been produced fairly closed together at the 'end' of the run. As you all know, these are among the last Spyders that were built at Zuffenhausen before production was stopped in late July. JSF101 talked to PCNA folks at the Parade in Georgia last week and was told just a few more Vin #'s after his were made before closing down the Spyder 'line' - but not many (10 or 15 at the most and probably going to other world markets!).

I have also been told by a reliable source at Rennlist that only 125 Model Year 2012 Spyders were allocated to US dealers in total. I don't know of a fourth PTS (I thought there was another Meteor Gray Spyder but JSF101 confirmed to me there is only one - the Detroit Show car). Perhaps Cayman or someone else can clarify what/where this other PTS might be in US.

Saludos, z356
Old 08-08-2011, 10:28 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

here's a picture of the meteor gray, I do not know how many miles were on it but it looks very good (as new) except for some "wear" on the seat bolsters from people getting in and out
Attached Images   
Old 08-08-2011, 10:35 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Default Parade pictures

here's two more pictures from Parade
Attached Images   
Old 08-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
The lighting in Detroit could have made it appeared 'ghostly', that is for sure. In any case, the Azure (thanks Cayman) has the decal delete option, so we don't have to worry about that one. Personally, I really like the Azure/Carrera Red combination on the Virginia car. It is a very 'sophisticated and elegant' look. Kind of vintage 356 from the early sixties. Mile2424, this is right up your family's 356 tradition! If you can swing it $ wise, I would strongly recommend going for it!

The Meteor Gray of Detroit will have the earliest Vin # since it was produced in late fall of 2010 for the January '11 Auto Show. The Riviera at Walters has Vin #...5178. The Azure has Vin #...5179. My Aqua Blue/Carrera Red custom order has Vin #...5187. JSF101's Speed Yellow has Vin #...5189. All must have been produced fairly closed together at the 'end' of the run. As you all know, these are among the last Spyders that were built at Zuffenhausen before production was stopped in late July. JSF101 talked to PCNA folks at the Parade in Georgia last week and was told just a few more Vin #'s after his were made before closing down the Spyder 'line' - but not many (10 or 15 at the most and probably going to other world markets!).

I have also been told by a reliable source at Rennlist that only 125 Model Year 2012 Spyders were allocated to US dealers in total. I don't know of a fourth PTS (I thought there was another Meteor Gray Spyder but JSF101 confirmed to me there is only one - the Detroit Show car). Perhaps Cayman or someone else can clarify what/where this other PTS might be in US.

Saludos, z356
Were the final Spyder production numbers confirmed?
Old 08-08-2011, 11:01 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

no, but I did find out 34 Spyders were sold in June and 41 in July

think we need someone at PAG to give us final numbers (anyone have any connections)
I wanted to know if my Spyder was the last one built and whether or not any other Speed Yellows were built
they told me it was not the last one built (but close) and only Speed Yellow for US (one of 4 PTS)
hard to tell worldwide because the PTS color code doesn't specify the actual color of the car

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Were the final Spyder production numbers confirmed?
Old 08-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JSF101
no, but I did find out 34 Spyders were sold in June and 41 in July

think we need someone at PAG to give us final numbers (anyone have any connections)
I wanted to know if my Spyder was the last one built and whether or not any other Speed Yellows were built
they told me it was not the last one built (but close) and only Speed Yellow for US (one of 4 PTS)
hard to tell worldwide because the PTS color code doesn't specify the actual color of the car
IIRC they had sold about 480 Spyders through May 2011 which means a total of 555 Spyders were made for the US. Somewhat rare considering the quantity of cars being built/sold these days.

Quick Reply: Change of plans....