Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Change of plans....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 12:34 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
I meant if you intend to (eventually) bring it into Kali, and avoid paying the sales tax. Sorry. I wasn't clear.

I'm excited for you and anxious to see pics.

Congratulations!
Oh... I get it now... Maybe I won't be going to the Rennsport Reunion after all. :bang head:

BTW, Thanks
Old 08-17-2011, 12:41 AM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayman
Oh... I get it now... Maybe I won't be going to the Rennsport Reunion after all. :bang head:

BTW, Thanks
No problem. I did this with my RS. It stayed in Oregon (where I had s\was doing some part-time work) until after the 12 month period.

You are allowed to bring the car in, but if you are stopped with a Kali DL and residence, you better have a good reason for the Oregon plate and why it is down here (Reunion should work, as does warranty or mods by a shop)... but of course it is all subject to a cops and judges discretion...

Again, congratulations
Old 08-17-2011, 12:45 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

No problem. I did this with my RS. It stayed in Oregon (where I had s\was doing some part-time work) until after the 12 month period.

You are allowed to bring the car in, but if you are stopped with a Kali DL and residence, you better have a good reason for the Oregon plate and why it is down here (Reunion should work, as does warranty or mods by a shop)... but of course it is all subject to a cops and judges discretion...

Again, congratulations
Oh then I should be fine then... I am a Oregon resident with a Oregon DL.
This law must be for California Residents that own property in Oregon?
Old 08-17-2011, 05:31 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

It's for CA residents with friends in OR (and elsewhere, to avoid CA sales/use tax).
Old 08-17-2011, 05:58 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
It's for CA residents with friends in OR (and elsewhere, to avoid CA sales/use tax).
and for people who move to CA within a year of buying a car, and therefore deserve to pay more.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:18 PM
gwc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Louisiana really sucks in this arena (maybe other areas too, but that is not the point here).

When I moved to Louisiana from Indiana I wanted to be a good citizen and get proper license and registration. I had to pay sales tax to Louisiana based on the book value of my autos. Apparently Louisiana is not the only state with this tax scheme, they have reciprocal agreements with some states so that you can get credits from the state in which you originally paid the sales tax, if no agreement was in place then you are out of luck and you have to pay sales tax on your old used car all over again, even though no sales actually took place.

All of that was a memorable one for me. Governments, geez!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:08 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gwc
Louisiana really sucks in this arena (maybe other areas too, but that is not the point here).

When I moved to Louisiana from Indiana I wanted to be a good citizen and get proper license and registration. I had to pay sales tax to Louisiana based on the book value of my autos. Apparently Louisiana is not the only state with this tax scheme, they have reciprocal agreements with some states so that you can get credits from the state in which you originally paid the sales tax, if no agreement was in place then you are out of luck and you have to pay sales tax on your old used car all over again, even though no sales actually took place.

All of that was a memorable one for me. Governments, geez!
That sucks! Glad I live in Oregon... We do however have higher Property and Income tax than most... which in a failed economy is worthless.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Wink

and for people who move to CA within a year of buying a car, and therefore deserve to pay more.
Only if where the car is coming from has a lower tax rate (of course most do, but gwc mentions Louisiana above, which is typically higher than CA). CA only requires you pay the difference between CA sales/use tax rate and what was paid elsewhere.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:47 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Only if where the car is coming from has a lower tax rate (of course most do, but gwc mentions Louisiana above, which is typically higher than CA). CA only requires you pay the difference between CA sales/use tax rate and what was paid elsewhere.
Yes, you only pay the difference. But the ownership period is currently a year - it used to be 3 months.

gwc,
What is Louisiana sales tax? It's hard to find sales tax higher than Los Angeles county's 8.75% (after the July 1, 1% drop from 9.75%).
Old 08-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

CA went from 3 months to 12 months well over five years ago.

Sales tax in New Orleans is 9%.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:09 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

CA went from 3 months to 12 months well over five years ago.

Sales tax in New Orleans is 9%.
They've bounced around some. From http://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/faq90day.htm#1
I guess I've had fortuitous timing.

Wow! 9%, that's pretty terrible.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Huh...didn't know the BOE went back to 90 days for a year or so.

Louisiana needs the tax revenue to fund their expanding film production industry in the form of tax credit incentives.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:30 PM
gwc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Baton Rouge our sales tax is 9%. The rate varies by locale. The state is 4 or 5%, I forget which, and the rest is local taxes. We have a state income tax too. Property taxes are not nearly as high as most, so I guess it all equals out, somehow they always get theirs.

Our neighbors in Mississippi pay annual auto registration fees based on the value of the vehicle, as a car guy I always thought that kinda sucked.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:33 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Knowledge of which your screen name implies...
Good for them if there is a net plus and the populace agrees. It also looks like the rest of their taxes aren't too confiscatory.

If only I knew what my taxes were paying for in CA.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:36 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gwc
Our neighbors in Mississippi pay annual auto registration fees based on the value of the vehicle, as a car guy I always thought that kinda sucked.
We get that, too. That dropped July 1st from 1.15% to .65%

And unlike more than few states, where the sales tax is calculated on the price of the car, minus trade-in, in CA you pay tax on the total price (sales tax applies to any manufacturer rebates, too).

Quick Reply: Change of plans....