Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Hot Topless Spyder On Track Action

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:09 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hot Topless Spyder On Track Action

Test n Tune day here at Reno Fernley Raceway running the tight and technical Config B. Weather was perfect but only 6 people showed up! Several folks here to dial in their cars for this weekends Virgina City Hillclimb, also known as Spectre341.

This is the first time I have had it on track since making some alignment changes and with the new brakes. Handling, for not having touched the springs or dampers, is superb. Some trailbrake oversteer if you want it (which it will not do stock), track out is neutral, and stability under threshold braking is great. Also responds to throttle steering very nicely.

Such a joy to drive, a lot of fun, and with the stock spring rates is a plush ride (on track). Took a bird strike to the windshield at the end of the front straight at 120mph which was more excitement than I really care for

As a GT3RS owner let me clearly say this car is a barrel of fun to drive and perfect for when I want to drive to the track, not futz with a full cage and drive home.

A good alignment, my Tarett custom spec rear sway bar, and some MPSC's or Pirelli Trofeo's transform a plow happy, tire shredding Spyder into a little track terror.

Enjoy a Spyder on track- (first three pics from master lensman Joe Salas 4theriders.com)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCVL7NE3dv8
Attached Images       

Last edited by savyboy; 06-17-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:27 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

sweet! thanks for the video
track looks like a snake
can't wait to get mine
Old 06-16-2011, 11:02 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ouch! The windshield didn't break? Our 986 Boxsters' windshields break if anything touches them.

Nice job, Pete, and she sounds great!
Old 06-16-2011, 11:49 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

PDK is awesome isn't it?!?!?! Your car sound so dang good...what exhaust is that? Great driving too... looks like a fun track.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:21 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Wow. Awesome video, awesome car, awesome driving. I can't believe the windshield didn't crack! Can't wait to get my spyder back out again...
Old 06-17-2011, 12:39 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by JSF101
sweet! thanks for the video
track looks like a snake
can't wait to get mine
Welcome! They have an even more technical configuration available which I love.

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Ouch! The windshield didn't break? Our 986 Boxsters' windshields break if anything touches them.

Nice job, Pete, and she sounds great!
I thought for sure I was about to get a visor full of glass and bird but the windshield held. Scared the crap out of me. Thanks for the kind comments.

Originally Posted by mdrums
PDK is awesome isn't it?!?!?! Your car sound so dang good...what exhaust is that? Great driving too... looks like a fun track.
Thanks for the kind words! I have always been a huge fan of the PDK Mike, impossible to outshift a computer. The power flow is so smooth even if it bangs off a mid-corner shift. Seamless.

Oh, exhaust is the Capristo full system: headers, cats, two muffs. Valving for quiet and polite or loud and proud...lol. Written up in another thread here. Bring your wallet but it very high quality and makes power across the rev range unlike most other exhausts and 40lbs lighter than stock sport exhaust! I love it.

Reno-Fernley Raceway is a great unknown gem- so much fun, lots of runoff area unless you do something truly dumb. Off-camber, elevation change, blind corners, you name it. Located in the middle of nowhere with only the most rudimentary of facilities.

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Wow. Awesome video, awesome car, awesome driving. I can't believe the windshield didn't crack! Can't wait to get my spyder back out again...
Guessed you would enjoy this Joe I wish the camera would have caught the bird hit, it was a solid hit and right at my brake point on the fastest part of the track Almost called a Code Brown
Old 06-17-2011, 01:51 AM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete,

Nicely done, great video! Hit a bird before at 80mph and 90mph, can't imagine hitting one at 120mph. Glad you and your Spyder came out of it o.k. See you next week at Laguna.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:58 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Guessed you would enjoy this Joe I wish the camera would have caught the bird hit, it was a solid hit and right at my brake point on the fastest part of the track Almost called a Code Brown
Hell yeah! Too bad you didn't get video of you hitting the bird. I had my own near 'code brown' the last time I was at the track myself. I installed new rennline pedals on the car. Mashed on the throttle after turn 13 only to notice, in horror, that the pedal was stuck to the floor. Luckily I had room on the straightaway to throw the gear into neutral, let the engine hit the rev-limiter, reach down into the wheelwell, and pull up on the throttle plate. One of the screws fixing the throttle plate was too long and dug into the carpet. Turns out rennline gave me the wrong screws...

I don't think I've posted this video here, but this is my 'cheesy' video I made from my last Thill track event with TMR. Lap 4 was free of traffic and gave me my best run of 2:12. This was before my MC upgrade and remus exhaust, so the exhaust is way too quiet. The driving is nowhere near your level, but I figured I may as well contribute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFET29wOh9o
Old 06-17-2011, 02:30 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 936 Posts

Awesome Vid and Pics Savy!
Old 06-17-2011, 10:55 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

pete, love the the pics and video. especially love the first pic - car got great attitude!
Old 06-17-2011, 11:33 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by bensf
Pete,

Nicely done, great video! Hit a bird before at 80mph and 90mph, can't imagine hitting one at 120mph. Glad you and your Spyder came out of it o.k. See you next week at Laguna.
See you then Ben!

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I installed new rennline pedals on the car. Mashed on the throttle after turn 13 only to notice, in horror, that the pedal was stuck to the floor. Luckily I had room on the straightaway to throw the gear into neutral, let the engine hit the rev-limiter, reach down into the wheelwell, and pull up on the throttle plate. One of the screws fixing the throttle plate was too long and dug into the carpet. Turns out rennline gave me the wrong screws...

I don't think I've posted this video here, but this is my 'cheesy' video I made from my last Thill track event with TMR. Lap 4 was free of traffic and gave me my best run of 2:12. This was before my MC upgrade and remus exhaust, so the exhaust is way too quiet. The driving is nowhere near your level, but I figured I may as well contribute:
Holy smokes! That is a crazy story- too long screw caught in carpet. You showed an amazing presence of mind to do what you did to fix the problem. Amazing

Video was awesome, you are looking good out there! 2:12 in a Spyder on stock tires and stock suspension is a very good time at TH!

Sptder folks, post up the pics and video, it's summer tracking season!

Originally Posted by Cayman
Awesome Vid and Pics Savy!
Thanks Cayman!

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
pete, love the the pics and video. especially love the first pic - car got great attitude!
Lol, the photographer usually shoots bikes, so for him, shooting the cars is easy (a lot slower) and captures some really great perspectives: Joe Salas 4theriders.com
Old 06-17-2011, 11:44 AM
savyboy
Drifting

A few more

Joe Salas- 4theriders.com
Attached Images    
Old 06-19-2011, 06:18 PM
balakris
Instructor

Love it! Can't wait to get mine out on the track. Did you get rid of your stock PSE? If not, willing to sell it?
Old 06-27-2011, 02:53 PM
savyboy
Drifting

PS- Let me mention that the MovIt brake full system installed on this car performed flawlessly and the pedal was rock solid in spite of all my attempts to fade the brakes. No brake pad wear was evident either. They have had some growing pains as they made changes to their company earlier this year, but it seems all is sorted out now and I can recommend them without reservation.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Hot Topless Spyder On Track Action