Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Cayman R or Boxster Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 01:27 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Cayman R or Boxster Spyder?

I am trying to decide whether to buy a Cayman R or a Boxster Spyder. I am sure I will track it some but that is probably not my main focus. I just want a fun car to have for weekends and occasional track days. I dont want to get into modding either.
I have owned a Cayman S and a couple 986 Boxster S'. Of course the Cayman was better than the 986 but I havent driven a 987 Boxster S so I dont think that is a fair comparison. (I did drive a standard 06 Boxster recently and it was the first time since I sold my cup car that I got of a car after driving with a smile on my face - despite it being a standard 987 with only 240hp)
Since I sold my 997 Cup I havent had a Porsche. I will be getting rid of my M3 which is a fast car but quite boring overall (it has the DCT tranny).
Incidentally, I will only get a manual transmission in either car. I am so bored driving the DCT in my M3. That is a big part of why I will get rid of the M3. (But I hate BMW manuals thats why I wanted to try the DCT in the first place).

Please offer your opinions and why you chose one over the other (including those who have a Cayman S or Boxster S)
Thanks.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:10 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,704 Likes on 937 Posts

IMHO, I would go for a Spyder.
It pleases all the senses:
-Looks... It's amazing how a few exotic design tweaks transform the Boxster to a car that even 911 enthusiast lust for. Sex on wheels.
-Smell... Nothing beats the roof down going through twisties capturing the scent of your surrounds as you blow by
-Touch... The suspension, handling is superb! The Spyder communicates the road feel and the Sport Buckets secure you with optimal performance no matter what situation you are in.
-Sound... Roof up or down the sound of the engine and exhaust is the soundtrack to any motor enthusiast heart!
-Taste... All the above create a mouth watering experience only lusting for the experience to never end.

If I had to define the Spyder with one word it would be involved. In a day that people are surrounded by automation, Porsche does the opposite. I love every part of how you interact with the Spyder. From the roof being manual transforming the car into three possible configurations, to the door pull straps.

I usually go through about 3 cars a year due to boredom until I purchased the Spyder. May 27th will mark the first of many years of ownership. I have zero interesting of parting with this ride. She is a true keeper.

Not sure I would say the same if I had a Cayman R... The roof and design add to the handling and feel making it something truly special.

The only problem I see you will have, will be finding one to the spec you desire. Final production of the Spyder comes to an end this July and all orders have been locked.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:34 PM
gwc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default End of Production

Cayman

what is the source for the end of spyder production in july?

Thanks

Gary
Old 05-21-2011, 03:05 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

That makes a lot of sense. I am disappointed that production is ending. I think I found one with only 2000 miles on it that is very similar to what I would build myself.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:47 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I've got a spyder and absolutely love the car, but one argument for the Cayman R would be for the track. Certain organizations will not allow convertibles in the advanced groups unless you have a roll cage. Installing a roll cage in a spyder just destroys the look of the car, IMO. This is why my spyder is my occasional track car, and my EVO is my more dedicated track car. Some organizations will allow me to run my spyder in the advanced groups, and others not... You won't have to worry about that with a Cayman R IF that's an issue for you.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Go for the Spyder, it's a drop dead gorgeous car, the Spyder is a very capable road car and occasional light use track car.

I really doubt the delta in performance between the Cayman R and the Spyder is very noticeable but Spyder kills the Cayman in the looks dept.

Do you want a convertible or hardtop? That would be my only deciding factor in my choice between the 2 cars.

Either way you end up with a great car, good luck.

Last edited by Polarporsche; 05-22-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:10 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude, you know me. me love me some boxster.
but that said, i think the caymans are fully awsome.
that soft top scares me when it comes to tracking a car. sorry, i just watched Deman flip that boxster lik e7 times. no way id want to be on track without the necessary equipment. sorry to be a prude, but given your driving skill and experience, hard for me to imagine youd be going anything but full throttle any time you have a great look at clear track.
atleas tin the cayman, you could conceivably put a 4 point maybe a 6 pt cage in there and get safety in addition to performance.

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
I am trying to decide whether to buy a Cayman R or a Boxster Spyder. I am sure I will track it some but that is probably not my main focus. I just want a fun car to have for weekends and occasional track days. I dont want to get into modding either.
I have owned a Cayman S and a couple 986 Boxster S'. Of course the Cayman was better than the 986 but I havent driven a 987 Boxster S so I dont think that is a fair comparison. (I did drive a standard 06 Boxster recently and it was the first time since I sold my cup car that I got of a car after driving with a smile on my face - despite it being a standard 987 with only 240hp)
Since I sold my 997 Cup I havent had a Porsche. I will be getting rid of my M3 which is a fast car but quite boring overall (it has the DCT tranny).
Incidentally, I will only get a manual transmission in either car. I am so bored driving the DCT in my M3. That is a big part of why I will get rid of the M3. (But I hate BMW manuals thats why I wanted to try the DCT in the first place).

Please offer your opinions and why you chose one over the other (including those who have a Cayman S or Boxster S)
Thanks.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:13 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Thanks.
Hey Nut, this from another nut.

In the last 3 yrs;

997 RS Mk I
997 3 Mk I
997 Cup - Used mine at Autobahn. This car on the track... well you know. You can chase down any closed wheel car they put out there. I'll give 'em half a lap and catch their a$$ like a cat after a robin with a broken wing (except another Cup of course). Nothing sounds or feels like it. So Raw! Amazing.
997 3 Mk II
Boxster Spyder

Not owned a Cayman, not sure I want to either.

The Spyder is a much better street Sports car than any of the 3's

Funny you should write this post cuz just today coming back from the office and got to hit my "secret run" and it was dry and sunny. It features a long off-camber left and as close to a chicane as you'll find on an urban road that you can take at speed. You do have to hold your lane for a couple, but if it's clear (and you can see) you can clip three apexes as well. Went in what I thought was fast. It wasn't even edgy. Turned around and HIT IT. Technique in this car is quite different than 911, pound the wide pedal to turn-in then the skinny one all she'll take. That will work of course, but there is much less need to load the fronts. DSG (you want 6, fine) made it more like enter really fast and just hit brakes a bit and after that just give it big throttle and use that useless left foot to help it rotate with a little intermittent brake pressure. Not that I got near the edge, as you know, once you've been to the track it's hard to even try to get edgy on the street. But the car was so fast through the turns (def can turn if faster than a 3 though cannot match power coming out so would lose the race) it's really FUN

The weight "off the top" and doors is really wild. Not that I've driven a Boxster S lately so can't compare, but this car's rotation axis is so freaking low that it's difficult to even get the body to roll. Never driven a street car that felt this low except my Elise, which was a go-kart like feel but is very soft and rolls quite a bit despite its low centers. This isn't go-kart, feels like a car. A very planted car.

Power? Well, nothing is a Cup. But for the street, plenty of power, and unlike a 3, it's useful nearly all the time you're likely to run up to, which for me adds to the fun.

Add end of production and you have a very nice car indeed. Like Cayman, I have automobile ADD. But I think I'll be keeping this one for some time. It is "special". As noted in another post, actually went in expecting to buy the Turbo S cab, but this was just the right thing.

If you want a track car, likely there are a couple of better choices. But after a Cup you'd better get something good or you'll feel like your on the porch.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:14 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for their input! I am really in love with the look of the Spyder. I have made an offer on a car with 2000 miles. It is pretty much exactly how I would have built it if I was ordering one. If they accept my offer or we can come to an agreeable compromise I will get it.

Allegretto, a previous post of yours about the perfect sports car really sparked my interest in the Spyder. I am not sure whether to thank you or try to never read your posts again since it ultimately has lead me from buying a used 05-06 Boxster S to a 2011 Spyder which is more than double in price.

I appreciate the thought on the roof and the track use. I know if I take it to the track it will be hard not to push a little. But ultimately, it will be probably only 3 or 4 times a year max that I would track it. And not having the roof and rollcage above and around me will remind me I am not racing but just having a little fun at the track for a DE. I think I will need to get a BreyKrause roll bar extension to run at VIR though.

But really I look forward to spirited drives in the country and I remember back when I had my 02 C4 Cab driving through the mountains in the fall. The open air experience was amazing with the leaves falling and blowing around and the crisp fall air.... And that car really sucked in comparison with what I expect from the Spyder (996 C4 Cabs are not my favorite by any stretch. Heck I think I liked my 01 boxster S better).
I think the Spyder will more than make a nice country drive enjoyable - especially compared to my M3 which is fast but heavy and boring.
I would imagine the M3 is faster at a track like VIR, but the experience and feel of the Spyder will far outdo it in the fun factor. What can I say, I prefer Porsche over BMW (sorry BMW diehards - I gave the M3 a whirl and while it is a great compromise car its not a true sports car in the essence of what that really means to ME).

Steve, when I can afford to go racing again I will seriously be considering doing a boxster for ST or an S for PCA. I really miss racing the Cup but it is just out of my price league right now and for the foreseeable future. Actually any racing is for the most part - except maybe an occasional Spec box rental. But after not being in a race car for quite some time now, I am sure I would suck anyway.

Oh well, I will keep you posted as to what happens with the Spyder i made the offer on.

Okay, one more question? Buy or Lease? I have only leased a few cars for my business in the past (04 Cayenne Turbo and an 07 Mercedes GL450) but never a personal car.
The reasons I wonder if its worth it:
1. Preserve cash - payments would be pretty low if I trade the M3 and use the equity in that (about $10-12K)
2. I have never kept a car longer than 2.5 years
3. What if it is in a wreck - my problem if I own it - not so much if its a lease.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:36 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

matt, i lost your email. so i blabber here.
i have had many box and cay among others, like allegreto and you.
no car, gt3 or whatever will be fun on track after your cup car. so let's just forget it. i dont have a cup but a stripped to the bone lighter than GT3 stripper. after racing that, i think my 3.8RS is no better than my GMC 3/4 ton. if you take track out of the pix (occasion use is fine), then you dont need the top, get spyder. it has a unique look. it really drives unlike all other porsches. in fact, i would prefer that over any GT3/cay on street.

go for it. you can still order spyders. and it's 2012 model. not many allocation left.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:28 AM
batty
Instructor

Matt, I went into the dealership a year ago looking for a 987S. Told the sales guy I wanted sport exhaust, lsd and pasm. He suggested the Spyder. I told him I didn't buy new and would always let someone else take the first hit. Well, I bought the Spyder new for over twice the price of a used 987S and have never regretted it for a nanosecond.

I would buy vs lease because the only way I will part with this car is if Porsche comes out with a 400 hp version sometime down the road. As allegretto said the lower center of gravity thoroughly transforms the car. I've driven a handful of 987Ss and there is no comparison. The Spyder feels magnetically attached to the road. Its a hoot to try and induce some body roll and a hell of a lot harder to actually do so than you would think. Throw in the looks of a baby Carrera GT and the thrill of top down driving too... its all the sports car you could ever want.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:29 AM
batty
Instructor

PS. Make sure you get PSE!
Old 05-22-2011, 10:38 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Thanks everyone for their input! I am really in love with the look of the Spyder. I have made an offer on a car with 2000 miles. It is pretty much exactly how I would have built it if I was ordering one. If they accept my offer or we can come to an agreeable compromise I will get it.

Allegretto, a previous post of yours about the perfect sports car really sparked my interest in the Spyder. I am not sure whether to thank you or try to never read your posts again since it ultimately has lead me from buying a used 05-06 Boxster S to a 2011 Spyder which is more than double in price.

I appreciate the thought on the roof and the track use. I know if I take it to the track it will be hard not to push a little. But ultimately, it will be probably only 3 or 4 times a year max that I would track it. And not having the roof and rollcage above and around me will remind me I am not racing but just having a little fun at the track for a DE. I think I will need to get a BreyKrause roll bar extension to run at VIR though.

But really I look forward to spirited drives in the country and I remember back when I had my 02 C4 Cab driving through the mountains in the fall. The open air experience was amazing with the leaves falling and blowing around and the crisp fall air.... And that car really sucked in comparison with what I expect from the Spyder (996 C4 Cabs are not my favorite by any stretch. Heck I think I liked my 01 boxster S better).
I think the Spyder will more than make a nice country drive enjoyable - especially compared to my M3 which is fast but heavy and boring.
I would imagine the M3 is faster at a track like VIR, but the experience and feel of the Spyder will far outdo it in the fun factor. What can I say, I prefer Porsche over BMW (sorry BMW diehards - I gave the M3 a whirl and while it is a great compromise car its not a true sports car in the essence of what that really means to ME).

Steve, when I can afford to go racing again I will seriously be considering doing a boxster for ST or an S for PCA. I really miss racing the Cup but it is just out of my price league right now and for the foreseeable future. Actually any racing is for the most part - except maybe an occasional Spec box rental. But after not being in a race car for quite some time now, I am sure I would suck anyway.

Oh well, I will keep you posted as to what happens with the Spyder i made the offer on.

Okay, one more question? Buy or Lease? I have only leased a few cars for my business in the past (04 Cayenne Turbo and an 07 Mercedes GL450) but never a personal car.
1. Preserve cash - payments would be pretty low if I trade the M3 and use the equity in that (about $10-12K)
3. What if it is in a wreck - my problem if I own it - not so much if its a lease.
sorry 'bout that, as you can see from others, it's difficult not to love this little baby.

FWIW, quit the Cup for the same reasons as you. Amortize in rebuilds, tires, tweaks, boo boos and you got yourself a $4-5000 weekend every time. Can do pretty much what I want financially, but that's enough for me to feel guilty. I'm not that good a racer.

Also had the new M3, in cab form so not as direct as yours, but it's not in the same league as the Spyder. It's fun in a buzzy sense, the motor revs like a maniac, but mileage sucked, it would roll (hard) in the twisties and you could feel all the weight.

I bought. Always do since I switch 'em pretty quickly. But even if it keeps (like my CTT, it ain't goin' nowhere) this one, I like ownership... just feels better and don't worry about mileage or any of that.

Oh BTW; how do you figure that if it's wrecked it's not your problem in a lease? The Carfax may not ultimately be your problem, but the wreck sure is. Unless there is something I don't know. There is gap insurance, is that what you're speaking of?

Last edited by allegretto; 05-22-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:13 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Bad move putting equity into a lease, if you wreck it on the way home, you lose all of that. Always put as little as possible down on a lease.
Depending on the tax situation in your state, the best move may be to use your equity to lower the tax liability with a purchase.
I've been going back and forth deciding to lease or buy my Cayman S that's on order. I'm leaning towards leasing because I like new cars every 3 years or so, the MF is good on the mid-engine models and I'd rather let PFS take the risk on trade-in value after 3 years. The residuals are pretty much in line with 3 year old used trade-in values.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:01 PM
racer
Drifting

Does VIR require 987 based bosters to run with the BK bar? Does a BK bar fit on a Spyder? Might be something to consider if VIR is where you would be tracking occasionally.

Just get both.. Why make yourself decide?

Quick Reply: Cayman R or Boxster Spyder?