Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Dealer has the wrong seats in the spyder,now what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 02:20 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer has the wrong seats in the spyder,now what?

Hi all,

I went to check out a 2011 spyder at a local dealer. The car is supposed to have sport buckets. It is on their website, pictures and window sticker. I got there and it has leather sport seats. I was told the sport buckets were swapped out for another customer. I don't know if the other customer paid for them or not. But the sport buckets were never replaced.

So, I fit in the sport leather seats fine. I do prefer the sport buckets, but regular sport seats are fine. But should this be an issue or not? If I buy this car, am I going to have warranty issue? Any resale issue? There were no addendum attached to the monroney label stating the seat change. Can dealers do that? Aren't they obligated (I assume by manufacturer's agreement) to sell the vehicle as spec'd by monroney label.

I don't think I am being taken. But I am a little hung up on this. Imagine if the other customer wanted spyder wheels, and I end up getting Carrera S wheels or something else, that doesn't sound right, no?
Old 03-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

I wouldn't worry about warranty issues. However, I'd demand the sport buckets if that is what you prefer. Since you are planning on spending a decent amount of money, I wouldn't compromise.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I agree, if you want the buckets then ask them to reinstall the correct seats. They shouldn't have a problem with that if they made a profit on the last customer.

As far as value goes, those buckets are a $5k option on most cars Porsche sells so technically you can say that the price should be reduced above and beyond any pre negotiated discount.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Karl02832
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like the car, and want the buckets, (and the price is right) have the dealership order the buckets for you and put them back.
Alternatively, if the sports seats are fine in your book, could be a good point to "bargain" with and have them come down on the price of the car.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:37 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would walk... The window sticker does not match the car.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:57 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Update: Dealer will not change the car to original specs. But offer the sport buckets for $4,000.
I will ask for extra discount to take the car as is. Meanwhile, I will also keep looking. Thanks for all your insights.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:17 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
Update: Dealer will not change the car to original specs. But offer the sport buckets for $4,000.
I will ask for extra discount to take the car as is. Meanwhile, I will also keep looking. Thanks for all your insights.
FYI: Retail for the bucket seats is about $6700 from a place like Suncoast Auto in FL, the Alcantara inserts are about $3000, so if you ever decide to put your Spyder back to the way that it came from the factory it would cost you close to 10K to do the retrofit.

There are plenty of Spyders around the country, if you are serious about one shop around and perhaps you might be able to find one with the options that you want.

Good luck!
Old 03-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Who is the dealer?

The dealer charging you to have the car put back to match the sticker is beyond offensive to me.

I know of build slot for May if you are interested. The dealer that has the build slot is in NJ.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Only1Buck
Who is the dealer?

The dealer charging you to have the car put back to match the sticker is beyond offensive to me.

I know of build slot for May if you are interested. The dealer that has the build slot is in NJ.
I agree that the dealers response is ridiculous, especially if the car is new and the warranty hasn't started yet.

As mentioned, there are other options and you don't have to do business with the local dealer if they aren't willing to budge.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:12 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Run!
Muy Spyder has the Sports Buckets - I had to buy in CA to get it and I live in PA - and I LOVE them.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:37 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

I don't know what type of arrangement they had with the other cusotmer. Maybe the dealer was put into a corner they can't get out of. They took a gamble by not replacing the original part, thinking the car would still sell. And I am sure eventually someone will buy that car with those seats.
The saleman was understanding, but unable to do anything.

Update:

I was told 2012 allocations are out!!! A different dealer, who told me he has a 2012MY car allocated, and will be pricing one out for me today.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is so against Porsche North America Policy!!! If they sell a car "new", they have to sell it as the sticker states. They can add stuff, but not take stuff away! The car is not OEM anymore. I would walk away unless you get $10k off, or get the Sport Buckets installed back in AT NO COST.

What dealer is it?

IMHO Sport Buckets are a must on that car.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:31 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Well, I am not going to name the dealer and throw them under the bus. I don't know what the other side of the story is with the customer who took/bought the seats. One would think that PCNA has some type of parts assistance, to buy back extra parts or overstock. But I guess PCNA left this dealer out in the cold.

Actually, PCNA has no policy or regualtion with selling a car to match the Monroney label. The dealer has procession and ownership of the car, they can sell it for parts if they want to. Now, that being said, there are proper automobile disclosure guidelines. But is irrelevant in my case, because I did not purchase the car. I was merely interested in it.

This car is at the bottom of my list now.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:43 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Actually, PCNA has no policy or regualtion with selling a car to match the Monroney label. The dealer has procession and ownership of the car, they can sell it for parts if they want to.
Yes and no. To my understanding most dealers finance cars from the mother company and usually in the first 90-120 days haven't even made a payment on the car yet. In the event that PCNA had to repossess the vehicle from a delinquent dealership you can be sure they would be going after them for the replacement cost of the missing parts when they got the car back.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

You would not be throwing the dealer under the bus, instead simply exposing them for what they are.

Quick Reply: Dealer has the wrong seats in the spyder,now what?