Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder Bitten. When Does Obsession Become Insanity?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:01 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More tasty bits...closeups of the monoballs/drop-links/solid caster pucks/Toe-control arms/Cup control arms/custom rear sway. Oh and braided brake lines. Enjoy a labor of love not a marketing exercise.
Attached Images      
Old 02-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

beautiful...simply beautiful
Old 02-28-2011, 04:05 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

A bit hard to tell from the pics, but there doesn't seem to be rear upper control arms (dog bones). How are the wheel carriers supported lateraly at the top on the Boxter?
Old 02-28-2011, 11:03 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by FFaust
A bit hard to tell from the pics, but there doesn't seem to be rear upper control arms (dog bones). How are the wheel carriers supported lateraly at the top on the Boxter?
You will hear talk of the rear end (carriers) not being up to the task (tracking) on 987. You now see one reason why

The strut is the upper support. Good eyes my friend!

With that said, it was never intended as a race car, therefore it does not have race car suspension strength.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:08 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks Pete, it make's sense now.

I just read about some some shortcomings in Excellence but wasn't sure what it meant. Something about the rear suspension basically being the front suspension reversed. Now I understand... I think.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:10 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Lol, I think you may be living the dream as well my friend. 2980 with 1/2 tank fuel in current configuration. Weighed it today John.

True! : )

Thanks P. so without PDK and fuel it would be near published weight. Right?

BTW send to Ira those lovely pics for the website. Excellent!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:47 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

You will hear talk of the rear end (carriers) not being up to the task (tracking) on 987. You now see one reason why

With that said, it was never intended as a race car, therefore it does not have race car suspension strength.
Savyboy, rookie here contemplating purchase of my 1st Porsche. The Boxster Spyder is one of the choices I have it narrowed down to. I would like to be able to confidently put the car on a track. Wondering if you could explain this to me?
Thanks for your time.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Pearlcoupeg35
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete, you may have just sold another Capristo exhaust system. I have been on the fence about which system to get - but wow, seems like there is no choice.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:23 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Thanks P. so without PDK and fuel it would be near published weight. Right?

BTW send to Ira those lovely pics for the website. Excellent!
Ira? As I understand it published weights are for lightest possible configuration, so my PDK, A/C, and PCM/NAV etc added back in some weight. Close enough for me.

Originally Posted by paver
Savyboy, rookie here contemplating purchase of my 1st Porsche. The Boxster Spyder is one of the choices I have it narrowed down to. I would like to be able to confidently put the car on a track. Wondering if you could explain this to me?
Thanks for your time.
Occasional track fun and lots of street fun, a Boxster, Spyder especially, is a mighty fine choice. More hard core duty calls for some version of GT3, it is just a beefier suspension.

And keep in mind, a convertible will never be a best track car choice. Too many compromises. New Cayman R in stripper spec would be a cool dedicated track car?

My GT3RS is going to be nearly 100% track duty so the Spyder, with mods, suits my needs for a super-sharp car around town and on the mountain roads.

Originally Posted by Pearlcoupeg35
Pete, you may have just sold another Capristo exhaust system. I have been on the fence about which system to get - but wow, seems like there is no choice.
Having experience with several different set-ups, this Capristo is awesome in quality and incredible sound. The key fob remote for quiet/loud is perfect. I don't want a full time ear assualt, you know? The system is pricy, but offers a great deal of value (and HP/TQ increase as well! thanks to headers/cats).

Last edited by savyboy; 03-02-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:57 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,625 Likes on 2,310 Posts

^ ira is the owner of tarret.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:21 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by mooty
^ ira is the owner of tarret.
Man, I have been working too hard. Upon re-reading that I thought, oh yeah Ira!

Oh my the brain is fried.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:14 PM
bensf
Racer

Savboy, love your Spyder, one hell of a car. Since you have a lot of experience and knowledge when it comes to the Spyder, what is your view on routine maintenance if one were to track a Spyder with PDK and standard brakes once a month? More specifically in the realm of frequency of oil changes, brakes and transmission maintenance. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:43 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

oops just saw this..

U should have bought the R.. I hear it's all motorsport : )
Old 03-26-2011, 07:56 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by bensf
Savboy, love your Spyder, one hell of a car. Since you have a lot of experience and knowledge when it comes to the Spyder, what is your view on routine maintenance if one were to track a Spyder with PDK and standard brakes once a month? More specifically in the realm of frequency of oil changes, brakes and transmission maintenance. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Ben- thank you for the kind comments! I think the track is not so bad for the oil, especially Mobil1 !. Stop and go city driving with no chance to burn off the contaminants to me is what is harmful. With that said, for your use, my view would be standard oil change intervals. Same for PDK lube.

Brakes will be your biggest maintence when tracking if you are running fast. Examine them carefully for wear, especially at the leading edge! Also eye the rotors for cracking that connects three holes.

Make friends with the best Porsche technician you can find and have him carefully examine the car regularly. Ounce of prevention=pound of cure as you know.

Please post some pics of your track events!

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
oops just saw this..

U should have bought the R.. I hear it's all motorsport : )
How I wish that were true

Lol...
Old 03-30-2011, 01:57 AM
bensf
Racer

Thanks for your advice. What setting are you using with the Sport Chrono? I'm a newbie to the track, I only have two DE events under my belt and both times I encountered significant rain. I still had a lot of fun and it gave me an opportunity to learn how to be smooth but I hope my next outing will be drier.

Name:  Thill March 19th 2.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  87.9 KB

Name:  Thill March 19th 1.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  88.8 KB

Quick Reply: Spyder Bitten. When Does Obsession Become Insanity?