Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder Bitten. When Does Obsession Become Insanity?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 12:00 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice...
Old 02-23-2011, 11:27 AM
HN-GT2997
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey Pete thanks for the Link looking forward to see more greetings from Germany
Old 02-23-2011, 12:25 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Polarporsche
Pete, your Spyder should kick butt on a tight track, any chance you'll be dropping by Spring Mountain this coming weekend? It would be very interesting to see the Spyder in action.

I'll be sharing a BMW track prep car with a few buddies at SM this weekend, the trip with our cars in the transporter didn't pan out, should be an interesting weekend in the BMW instead of my GT3.
I love SM as you know but there is no way I can make it, too much prep to do on my 3RS, as well we are due for another dang winter storm

Post some pics on the GT3 forum if you can? Hope the weather cooperates for you and you all have a ton of fun!

Originally Posted by HN-GT2997
hey Pete thanks for the Link looking forward to see more greetings from Germany
Thanks Heiko!
Old 02-23-2011, 11:10 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Got it out today for testing and bedding in the new brakes. The project was huge but the results are well worth it. A video and some pics. The sound is much more intense in real life than in the video. It also barks on up and down shifts (PDK). Brakes are monumental and pedal is rock solid. Previous to the MovIt install I put in a GT3 master cylinder to help with the nasty mushy OE pedal feel. The MovIt full system (calipers/rotors/braided lines/hardware) is expensive and well worth every penny.

WOT going under bridges is, as the kids say: EPIC. With the remote control I can also choose a "cruise" mode which is much quieter than stock PSE in quiet mode or a "Sport" mode which utilizes a backpressure sensor to alter the sound and valving. The Capristo system is expensive and well worth every penny.

Can't wait to get it back on track and see how the new brakes and weight loss affect the driving.

Project was done by myself, and the best tech I have ever known- Jess Lattin. He is truly gifted and "The Man" when top-quality work is a "must".

Contact for MovIt USA- Tom Frederico tom@tfent.com
Contact for Capristo- Nick Scianna sales@nicksforzaferrari.com

Tell them you saw my Spyder post.

I am picky and hard to please but I cannot imagine making any changes from where the Spyder is now. It just can't get any better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scu7f3uQEK4
Attached Images        

Last edited by savyboy; 02-24-2011 at 01:27 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:06 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,792 Likes on 2,373 Posts

that's one hell of a beast, if there ever was one.
can't wait to see it.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:07 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Pete is living the dream! I am happy for you mate : )

Did you weigh her?
Old 02-24-2011, 08:18 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

That sounds really good! The Capristo's seem to be one notch beyond the factory sport exhaust when it comes to sound adjustability and overall sound when wide open. I really like it.

You mentioned that you had upgraded your brake fluid reservoir to the 997 reservoir, did this change help with the soft pedal feel?
Old 02-25-2011, 08:55 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow Pete, I'm going to have to keep tabs on you, lol. Followed the link from Rennteam.

Very nice to see what you are doing here. Along with the GT3, I would love to add an air-cooled and a Spyder some day.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Ferdie
Advanced

Even as a fourth reader, I tremendously enjoy that article. Curious to hear how the movit brake system will fare. Love your enthusiasm...
Old 02-25-2011, 03:32 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a seriously sexy beast!
Old 02-25-2011, 05:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 776 Posts

So awesome..

Same brake setup on the GT3RS? Or differences?
Movit might be onto something here.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:37 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

very nice, peter.
the spyder has certainly not wasted any time entering the bloodstream of quite a few gt1 die-hards round here.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:54 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Jealous...
Old 02-25-2011, 11:00 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Pete is living the dream! I am happy for you mate : )

Did you weigh her?
Lol, I think you may be living the dream as well my friend. 2980 with 1/2 tank fuel in current configuration. Weighed it today John.

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
That sounds really good! The Capristo's seem to be one notch beyond the factory sport exhaust when it comes to sound adjustability and overall sound when wide open. I really like it.

You mentioned that you had upgraded your brake fluid reservoir to the 997 reservoir, did this change help with the soft pedal feel?
Thanks Marine Blue- the Capristo is incredible. Until I began my homework for this specific project I didn't even know they did "lowly" Porsches (they focus on Ferrari and Lambo's). This is by far the most sophisicated system in sound and technology I have ever experienced. And I had a FVD/M&M on a DFI car and currently have a Akrapovic on my GT3RS.

The master cylinder change made a big difference in pedal feel. The OE pedal feel is horrible- soft and mushy. I can't believe they ship it with that thing?

Originally Posted by FFaust
Wow Pete, I'm going to have to keep tabs on you, lol. Followed the link from Rennteam.

Very nice to see what you are doing here. Along with the GT3, I would love to add an air-cooled and a Spyder some day.
Francois, you would look good in a Spyder and love driving it. Wait until you see what else I have up my sleeve

Originally Posted by Ferdie
Even as a fourth reader, I tremendously enjoy that article. Curious to hear how the movit brake system will fare. Love your enthusiasm...
Haha, Ferdie thanks for the kind comments. I will of course post my experiences but so far I am feeling very confident in its abilty to exceed the OE PCCB performance.

Originally Posted by niche
That's a seriously sexy beast!
Thanks niche! Boxster is all grown up now...lol

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
So awesome..

Same brake setup on the GT3RS? Or differences?
Movit might be onto something here.
Peter- same master cylinder and I really should have done the booster as well but it is a bit of a nightmare job and $$$. With that said the pedal now is equal or superior to a GT3RS.

Oh- the MovIt setup on Spyder is DIFFERENT than what will be on the GT3RS. Totally new system is being developed by MovIt for GT3/GT2 cars.

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
very nice, peter.
the spyder has certainly not wasted any time entering the bloodstream of quite a few gt1 die-hards round here.
Thanks Jimmy! I loved that car stock and I am rabid about it now.

Originally Posted by tetzlafh
Jealous...
No need! Porsche will sell you one today
Old 02-26-2011, 08:55 AM
HN-GT2997
3rd Gear

wow the car in total and the calipers look very nice, looking forward to here more how the brake are when the are working right after the brake in. I see you have the new Trofeo on your Spyder will soon put it on the GT2 cant wait to finish my car greeting from Germany Heiko

Quick Reply: Spyder Bitten. When Does Obsession Become Insanity?