Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

07 GT3 or New Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010 | 09:26 PM
hatari
Track Day

This is great stuff, keep it coming and thanks. I have the same issue as lumber...the sound/feel of the GT3 really draw me in. I have an Audi RS4, so I feel like I need to get more. I also have a Ducati Sport Classic, and realize that less can be much more. But the experienced advice here is certainly compelling.

Just looked at Top Gear's Power Laps, that Spyder did unbelievably well, despite the blow-hard's commentary.

Thanks
Old 11-22-2010 | 09:36 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lumber
I am following this thread due to the fact that I was going to move to a 10 gt3. I am now seriously considering going with a spyder.

Since it won't be tracked, a gt3, for me, seems restrained on public roads. I have had both a 07 gt3 and 07 rs. I would have never thought to consider a spyder, had it not been for the praise it has been getting from the current gt owners.

Now I'm really confused...
Originally Posted by lumber
Im trying to grasp that...

The sound/feel of the gt3 has me wanting another one...the fact that it's hard to wring that out on the street is what has me looking at the spyder.

How does it look in the flesh? Is it a good looking car? I would say to me the pictures dont do it justice, because I would not buy it on looks alone.
This is the exact reason why I decided to put my 928 up for sale. The 928 needs some serious space to stretch its legs and the car really only wakes up when you're well beyond legal limits. Since I don't have time/finances to properly track a car I need to get my kicks on the street and the Spyder fits the bill perfectly.

As far as looks, it's always preference but personally I think it's one of the best looking cars Porsche makes.
Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2010 | 09:39 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Re: the sound of these cars. Both the Spyder and the Cayman R are available with the optional sport exhaust (Opt # XLF) which offers an incredible great sound, reminiscent of the stock gt3. In fact, Michael Hack of Porsche's Exclusive in Germany told me last Friday that the Spyder/Cayman R optional exhaust was developed by the Exclusive Department under different parameters, which allowed them greater latitude in creating the special sound their customers demanded vs the more muted stock exhaust in gt3 series production. It may be marketing hype but I found the comment interesting. z356
Old 11-22-2010 | 09:41 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

The wife and I have 00 and 01 Boxster S, both bought new, hers (the 00) Euro-delivered. I bought a 997.1 RS last year. The mechanicals are amazing, but I keep wishing for it in a mid-engine chassis.

Everything I've driven in the last 20+ years has been mid-engine, and the transition to the GT3RS's rear-engined handling characteristics is taking me far too long to get comfortable with.

I've sold my 01 S and the Cayman R will replace it as my daily driver.
Old 11-22-2010 | 11:55 PM
Rob T
Advanced

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
As far as looks, it's always preference but personally I think it's one of the best looking cars Porsche makes.
Absolutely.
Old 12-04-2010 | 12:51 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

i had 3 997 gt3's. not even close get a spyder, the car roxxx
Old 12-04-2010 | 02:08 PM
hatari
Track Day

watt - thanks. you're saying you had 3 997 GT3s (what variants?) and not even close? can you kindly expand on your thought? how do you compare the two cars, and how do/did you use them?
Old 12-04-2010 | 08:17 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Originally Posted by hatari
watt - thanks. you're saying you had 3 997 GT3s (what variants?) and not even close? can you kindly expand on your thought? how do you compare the two cars, and how do/did you use them?
just regular gt3s no rs, multiple gt2s and strads also as i liked them all alot. mountain driving, 2-4 track days per year, round town; this type of usage from just a decent driver can not leverage a gt3 [espec. w/o a short set of gears - $$$$]. massive track reliability problems in the gt3 well described [oil leaks, cheques from porsche...] on this site. the new ones are very nice marketing and driving machines that keep margins up.

i prefer the lightness, nothing wasted inherent unity of the spyder. we all know a spyder with the 911 engine would shred.... porsche's business model and other porsche models. also bang for $ >>>>> for me.

Quick Reply: 07 GT3 or New Spyder