Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

07 GT3 or New Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 10:54 AM
hatari
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 07 GT3 or New Spyder

I've read through the views of some that have both cars (consensus seems to be that the Spyder is a better daily car with occasional track use; GT3 better track weapon). I thought I'd post just to see if there were other views/experiences. I've driven the GT3, owned a Cayman S years ago...can understand how the Spyder changes versus the Cayman S. This is a spring-autumn car (have four distinct seasons where I live) that will get to the track for PCA-type events (not racing...unless I get very interested in it) 2-4x per year. Still, looking for an elemental experience vs a luxury one...closer to a motorcycle experience (like a Duc, not cruiser), if you know what I mean. If I got the GT3, I'd go to street tires, PS2s or similar.

Economics are about the same. Will get slightly more use out of a coupe, but not materially more.

Any views/experiences appreciated.

Regards and thanks
Old 11-21-2010, 11:55 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like a Cayman R may be what you are looking for?
Old 11-21-2010, 01:18 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

I own both a GT3 and a Spyder and if I had to go with only one car it would be the Spyder, it's that good. My GT3 is a dedicated track car, it's suited for that purpose and I am elated by how it handles each time I get it on the track. The GT3 on the street is not as much fun to drive, especially in a lawful manner, feels like your driving in Valet mode. It was meant for track use IMHO.

The Spyder on the other hand does everything very well and is a real treat to drive on the road. The Spyder will also compliment you driving skills on the track, it's a very capable car.

Mine is also a spring-fall car and I really don't get enough time to drive it. My daily driver for the winter months is a dodge pick-up so I suffer P-car withdrawal for many months, luckily I get time to travel to the warmer US states and play with my GT3.

There really is no bad choice here, both great cars and I truly believe it's a personal choice that has no bad result.

Last edited by Polarporsche; 11-21-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:04 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 135 Posts

Easy choice for me .... Spyder. I've had the 2007 GT3 and RS. The Spyder is a more all around enjoyable car.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:35 PM
batty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gave up motorcycles 15 years ago in the interest of life or limb preservation and have missed the elemental experience ever since. Until the Spyder that is. I'm finally cured of over a decade of knee dragging withdrawals.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:32 PM
wbgordon
Racer

Can't speak for the GT3, but having owned a 997S and now driving a Spyder, I can tell you that the latter is perfectly suited for urban driving -- quick, nimble, able to get the revs up a little without fear of going to jail. One thing that's noticeably different about the two cars but hasn't been discussed here is leg room. I'm a little shy of 6-foot-2 and I feel a teensy-weensy cramped in the Boxster cockpit. Never felt that way driving a 911, and the GT3 is one bad-boy 911.

How do you lose either way -- both are great cars!
Old 11-21-2010, 11:48 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,704 Likes on 2,342 Posts

had 3 cay s, 5 box s, 11 GT3.
based on your description, spyder is the car you want.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:32 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I had the same dilemma about a year ago. I've had a few 911s, the last one a 2005 that I chose over the then-new Elise, but I found the current standard models even more soft and isolated. I get to the track every few months, but as addicting as the GT3 motor is, in reality most of its use would be on the street, where I find a nearly 200mph car with big wing to be a bit obnoxious. When the Spyder was introduced last year, I knew that even though I'm not a convertible person, its minimalist approach was exactly the focus I had in mind; a great cross between the Elise and 911. No regrets!
Old 11-22-2010, 01:14 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I had the same dilemma about a year ago. I've had a few 911s, the last one a 2005 that I chose over the then-new Elise, but I found the current standard models even more soft and isolated. I get to the track every few months, but as addicting as the GT3 motor is, in reality most of its use would be on the street, where I find a nearly 200mph car with big wing to be a bit obnoxious. When the Spyder was introduced last year, I knew that even though I'm not a convertible person, its minimalist approach was exactly the focus I had in mind; a great cross between the Elise and 911. No regrets!
Similar dilemma for me a year ago -- I had the first spot/allocation at my dealer for the Gen 2 RS -- should I swap my Gen 1 RS for Gen 2, or get the Spyder? I decided to keep the Gen 1 RS and get the Spyder. Absolutely no regrets -- great decision. As between the two, the Spyder is much more fun to drive on the street. In fact, it is quite fun at the track too (had it @ Infineon just yesterday). I vote for the Spyder.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree fully with zellamsee. I have a gen 1 RS and also thought about the upgrade to a gen 2 RS, but decided to just add the Spyder instead. I have no regrets. Give me any day without rain and temps above 50 and I'm taking out the Spyder. I really love my RS, but for driving on public roads, the Spyder has it beat.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by hatari
I've read through the views of some that have both cars (consensus seems to be that the Spyder is a better daily car with occasional track use; GT3 better track weapon). I thought I'd post just to see if there were other views/experiences. I've driven the GT3, owned a Cayman S years ago...can understand how the Spyder changes versus the Cayman S. This is a spring-autumn car (have four distinct seasons where I live) that will get to the track for PCA-type events (not racing...unless I get very interested in it) 2-4x per year. Still, looking for an elemental experience vs a luxury one...closer to a motorcycle experience (like a Duc, not cruiser), if you know what I mean. If I got the GT3, I'd go to street tires, PS2s or similar.

Economics are about the same. Will get slightly more use out of a coupe, but not materially more.

Any views/experiences appreciated.

Regards and thanks
If you want an "elemental experience" ... "closer to a motorcycle experience" buy the Spyder and drive it year 'round with the top off, the windows down, and the heater/AC off.

If you want motorcycle like acceleration buy the GT3.

My 03 Turbo has a near motorcycle like acceleration and the GT3 I believe offers even better acceleration.

More seriously, you have to drive both the Spyder and the GT3 and then decide. Both are fine cars but deliver different experiences.

If you are not a die-hard top down driving fan, I would advise you to *not* own a convertible/roadster and certainly not the Spyder.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:32 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I am following this thread due to the fact that I was going to move to a 10 gt3. I am now seriously considering going with a spyder.

Since it won't be tracked, a gt3, for me, seems restrained on public roads. I have had both a 07 gt3 and 07 rs. I would have never thought to consider a spyder, had it not been for the praise it has been getting from the current gt owners.

Now I'm really confused...
Old 11-22-2010, 07:49 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 135 Posts

^
The Spyder is almost half the price and twice the fun on city streets compared to the GT3.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:01 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Im trying to grasp that...

The sound/feel of the gt3 has me wanting another one...the fact that it's hard to wring that out on the street is what has me looking at the spyder.

How does it look in the flesh? Is it a good looking car? I would say to me the pictures dont do it justice, because I would not buy it on looks alone.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:21 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

I have 2 very similar cars. An '05 Boxster 3.4 S "plus" and an '05 997 S. I have been waffling over which car to keep and decided on keeping the modded 987, which I'm guessing has to be at least somewhat like driving a new Spyder. From everything I can gather, a well set up 987 chassis car is hard to beat as a dd or track car or whatever.

Quick Reply: 07 GT3 or New Spyder