Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Number of Unsold Spyders in Dealer Inventory is Huge!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 03:12 PM
pcw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Only1Buck
Alan,

The sport shifter I don't believe was ever on the website configurator as you've stated, but was available in earlier build cars as an option as were other options like deviating stitching which was also not listed on the website, but available when cars were being spec'ed.

Steve

only1buck
Steve is correct, when I sat down and ordered my Spyder with my dealer, the Sports Shifter was an option but that was a day after the ordering banks opened. Not sure what happened after that.

pcw
Old 09-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I know; I ordered the option and have it on my car.

Options are subject to availability; for instance, I was able to get the sport shifter, but not the lightweight battery or painted Spyder wheels.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:13 PM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 84 Posts

hey Z356,
did u come across with any Spyder that has PCCB in the inventory search? just curious..
Old 09-14-2010, 06:17 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

does the sport shifter speed up the PDK?? :-)
Old 09-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

20C4S: I did not find a single Spyder with ceramic brakes (PCCB) in my search of stock inventory at dealers in the US. I can recall only one vehicle with 'A/C delete'. Do not remember seeing a Spyder with the Lithium Ion lightweight battery. Not many (if any) with sport shifter option. Alcantara package (steering wheel, shifter ) was very scarce, if any out there. I can remember only two deviating stitching interiors (red stitching on black leather seats and alcantara arm rests). But overall, very few cars with any Exclusive options at all. An option that was not as numerous as I would have thought (being dealers are choosing the specs) was PCM (Nav pkg), although a few have it. On the abundant side of the equation, you find quite a number of cars with leather sport seats. Some cars with optional black wheels. A few cars come with some of the other optional wheels, but not many (not surprising since stock wheel is the lightest). The optional sport exhaust abounds, which is a very good thing. Sport Chrono without PCM is popular. Bi-xenons are common.

As an interesting side note, you can tell early inventory at dealers by the center color of the steering wheels on manual cars, which are the vast majority of Spyders in stock. The all-black ones are the later production cars. The optic silver ones are the initial batch. On the red leather interior cars, the early steering wheels with silver spokes have red leather circle centers with the Porsche enamel crest in middle. On the red interiors with late production black steering wheels, the circular center is now black leather, even if the leather on the steering wheel itself continues to be red. The optional full black leather interiors are rare. Full red leather interiors are more common to see, then sand beige. No cocoa anywhere to be seen.

pdxjim: Sport shifter is an option on the 6 speed manual. The PDK might have a slight advantage with the Sport Chrono Plus option and that costs around $1300 with that transmission.

z356
Old 09-14-2010, 09:55 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Thank you Z. How many PDK were out there?
Old 09-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

pdxjim: I didn't take exact notes, so you will have to do that research yourself or ask your friendly Porsche dealer to print it out from the central PCNA database computer. Of the three Spyders left in your two Oregon dealers' inventory, all are 6 speed manuals. The fourth, a white/black one with sport buckets that I remember had PDK, just sold at Carrera in Bend. It was listed last week but not today. z356
Old 09-14-2010, 10:36 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Z thanks!
Old 09-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 101 Posts

Z356- appreciate your research and it's interesting. I also like your garage and car choices. I was surprised when you decided to spend some big bucks- gt3, gt3rs, r8 and included the Boxster Spyder. At half the price of the others, it's a bargain that's as much fun to drive as the others and I'm sure it will depreciate less than your other considerations. All are good choices for different reasons so good luck on your choice.

Your search didn't really show any real surprises. Who wouldn't get the ac and the radio is only a few pounds. OK, I know who wouldn't get the ac and besides the marketing weight reduction hype, it can always be removed later. I really, really wanted to like the sport bucket seats but couldn't get comfortable in them. They look incredible, are light weight and they define the car. So I opted for the multi-adjustable, comfortable, heated leather sport seats ( I love them).

I was able to get the short shift kit from the factory but it is an easy dealer add-on.

The serious enthusiast on this forum is more likely to order the sport buckets and no ac or radio which is probably how Porsche envisioned this car. However, sometimes reality takes over and we need ac when it's so damn hot and a radio for long boring drives to get to the mountains and adjustable heated seats for my old bones. Despite the top, it's still a blast to drive and the best bang for he buck in the whole Porsche line-up. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:53 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Carcam. That is the beauty of this little Spyder - The giant slayer. What we are hearing from Savyboy, Zellamsee, Polarporsche, Mooty and others in this forum is that this lighter car will give those others a run for their money at the track, specially shorter technical circuits. And on the street, it is a more user friendly vehicle and a joy to drive on curvy roads and other terrain. At half the price of the others! So, yes, it should be a serious contender for many of us. z356
Old 09-15-2010, 02:16 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

I was cross-shopping the GT3 as well.

Originally Posted by pdxjim
How many PDK were out there?
If you are looking for PDK, this dealer had the largest Spyder inventory in the country by far, and all were PDK. (Not to perpetuate the "huge inventory" debate, but last week they had 5, and now they have 4.)

http://pacific.porschedealer.com/new...ter/search.php
Old 09-15-2010, 02:21 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 84 Posts

^ Pacific also has 2 slightly used Spyders available. both PDK. 1 black & 1 white. sold them to a rental company but returned after 1k mile. i checked the white one & it's very clean. no sign of abuse yet. i believe the sticker was 72k & asking for 62k.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:28 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

They are good people as well. I bought mine from a friend at a competing dealership in the area, but I use Pacific for service.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:24 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I was cross-shopping the GT3 as well.

If you are looking for PDK, this dealer had the largest Spyder inventory in the country by far, and all were PDK. (Not to perpetuate the "huge inventory" debate, but last week they had 5, and now they have 4.)

http://pacific.porschedealer.com/new...ter/search.php
Be careful that the white PDK does not have Sport Chrono... you NEED that in this car... so a retrofit is needed (and now possible)
Old 09-15-2010, 09:00 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LiON battery was originally supposed to be an option for Spyder, but production of the battery apparantly lagged so only GT3RS's show it on the configurator. Being a track nut, I had my dealer order me one separately at the configurator price ($1700).

I also spec'ed PCCB on my car

For the average street/ 2-3 track days per year driver, steel or PCCB would be fine. PCCB don't dust and arguably offer better steering feel due to reduced rotating mass and unsprung weight. As I am all about the ultimate in driving dynamics, I also installed even ligher Forged Alloy USA wheels.

You gotta be pretty car crazy to go to these extremes.

Let me say even on long trips my Sport Buckets are very comfortable. Cass is a long legged/torsoed fellow and I can certainly see where he would find them to be too much on long trips. I am 5'7" and trips of 6 hours in a single run have been A-OK.

The Spyder provides so much value compared to a GT3 or RS it is crazy I tell you. The interior quality is superb. Fully stock it a very rewarding car to drive with gusto. With decent tires, alignment and a set of adjustable anti-sway bars to dial out the understeer it is a track monster.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Number of Unsold Spyders in Dealer Inventory is Huge!