Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2024, 03:51 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 368 Posts

The recommissioning continues.

I lay awake at 3am working through a sequence of tasks, in my mind.

First off, I knew I had to fit the headlight and windscreen washer reservoir, because it’s not on impossible with the wing on.

Taking the wing off highlighted a number of issues. Leaking coolant, fasteners not fitted and a missing hose for the windscreen washers. I will do those tomorrow.

Today, I sorted out the wing. The bodyshop had omitted to fit the plastic shield that stops water funnelling into the door hinge, so I did that. I also fitted new plastic film to both wings. These protect the wing paint from damage when the bumper is fitted.

Shield fitted with three plastic rivets.

Plastic film. I forget the cost but it was likely stupid considering it’s $0.50 of film.

All sorted.

I’m getting closer to a mass fitting of parts but right now it’s a mess
Old 09-06-2024, 12:12 PM
Spyder_2011
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 135 Posts

A bit of a sidebar but now that you have had both the 964 and 987 apart in depth what are your thoughts on the build quality differences?
Old 09-06-2024, 03:13 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyder_2011
A bit of a sidebar but now that you have had both the 964 and 987 apart in depth what are your thoughts on the build quality differences?
The 964 build ethos seems to be hand built, simple, strong, durable, and long lasting. I think someone could own and drive one for a lifetime and pass it onto the next generation to do the same.

To me, the Spyder build is a mass produced base car with clever engineering that is focused on its function but parts of it are needlessly complicated and won’t be easy to repair in the future eg PDLS headlights.

Other thoughts.

Given its weight saving parts, why isn’t the Spyder far lighter than the C4?

Why didn’t Porsche fit passenger air bag off switches as standard to the Spyder? The air bag system going off almost destroys the value of the car.

Did Porsche realise that rubberised interior surfaces on the Spyder would degrade and have to be replaced?

Spyder hvac system is light years ahead of the 964.

The ease of access with fender removal is great with the Spyder. While the 964 fender removal is an absolute mission.

The 964 just required a radio change to make it compatible with newer technology. Whereas the integrated Porsche system is planned obsolescence.

In Watch terms, the 964 is a Rolex Submariner no date. It will last generations but its quality is hidden unless you own one. Whereas the Spyder is a Tudor Black Bay. Well made and achieves its purpose but is
not multigenerational.

The following 3 users liked this post by John McM:
Spyder_2011 (09-06-2024), will007 (09-07-2024), Zeus993 (09-08-2024)
Old 09-06-2024, 09:13 PM
Spyder_2011
Racer

That’s a great synopsis of both, thank you!

I have to admit, the HVAC system in the 964 scares me and I dread when I finally have to have the suitcase removed and evaporator replaced.

When I ordered my Spyder I did my best to avoid any of the options that could increase replacement complexity such as xenon lights, Navigation etc. I do wonder which will wear faster, full leather interiors or the standard rubber interiors. I suspect the leather will likely wear faster (shrink) but it is something that can be replaced by a good interior shop without paying Porsche prices.

I do think the Spyder can be multigenerational but it will certainly require more money to keep it cosmetically nice since as you have observed the parts don’t hold up as well as the older cars.
The following users liked this post:
Zeus993 (09-08-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 05:45 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Another big day on the Spyder.

1. I fitted the reservoir for the windscreen washer and headlight washer, only to find I was missing the hose for the washer connection. A trip out West to plunder John K’s stash of Golf parts and it’s sorted.

2. I diagnosed a coolant leak that blew litres of coolant out at the body shop. One of the spring clips on a hose to the radiator wasn’t sitting in its groove so when pressure built, it leaked. Off to buy some more Nulon pre-mix.

3. I put a litre of fluid through the brake lines to see if there were bubbles. So many came out of the right front that I initially thought I’d run the reservoir dry. I have an acceptable pedal now but the real test will be on the road.

4. I washed the car to get the worst of the dirt off, prior to getting the DA and cutting compound out. It will take a lot of work to get back to the original colour.

5. I bought Crystal Clear PVC sheet to make a temporary windscreen as I can’t drive with the carpet protector sheets I used for transport.

Tomorrow, I will fit the undertrays, wing, bumper, and wheel well liners. I can also see a bump stop replacement in my near future.

Last edited by John McM; 09-07-2024 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-09-2024, 02:44 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Crash sensor replaced.

PVC film as a temporary windscreen

Wing and bumper on. A bit of fettling yet on gaps.

I installed a PVC film over the windscreen opening so I can both see out of it and keep the rain out of the interior.

A quick drive around the neighbourhood had alarm chiming at me for many things. It’s not close to ready for a real drive.
The following 3 users liked this post by John McM:
Dana R (09-09-2024), islaTurbine (09-09-2024), Miggytosh (09-09-2024)
Old 09-09-2024, 08:53 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 209 Posts

Hey John,

A quick lesson from my mistakes.....

I cracked the windscreen (original) on my Spyder. Ordered an OEM one from the local Dealer. Had them install it. Was dropped home - and during a casual inspection - it wasn't sitting flush. Wasn't happy.

Called them and after sighting it - agreed - don't worry Mr Customer - we'll make it right........
2nd attempt - Same issue....
3rd attempt - they dropped the screen.
Had to wait 6 weeks for a 2nd new one, and, you'll guess, it arrived broken.
Another 8 weeks - and the 3rd one arrived - again - wasn't sitting correct.

Long story short - after almost 5 months - they found a TSB had been issued from PAG - and the method of replacing windscren on Spyder V1 - has changed.

Just make sure your shop (if a dealer) or installer has the latest info.

Old 09-09-2024, 10:20 PM
Spyder_2011
Racer

Simon, does the glass and frame on the Spyder differ from the other Boxsters? Seems odd they would have soo much trouble on a car that is fairly common.
Old 09-09-2024, 10:25 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 209 Posts

It wasn't he glass per se - more the installation procedure and method of bonding.
Apparently the Spyder is different to the Boxster.....
Old 09-09-2024, 11:42 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

My windscreen took two weeks to arrive from Germany. Unfortunately I can’t get the car to them until after my vacation. Last time I spoke to them, they said there is a TSB requiring foam and the screen to be strapped down. They did my last one ok. It’s the OPC and not a subcontractor doing the work.
Old 09-11-2024, 05:29 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

If you know, you know.

The following 2 users liked this post by John McM:
islaTurbine (Yesterday), Spyder_2011 (Yesterday)
Old Today, 02:33 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Broken Spyder is back on its wheels. The idea is to fit everything and have a comprehensive list as to what’s missing, and what’s past its best eg bumpstops.

Other than that, I decided to work on the rear emblems. I generally like to keep this kind of car original but Boxster Spyder is a lot on the rear deck and later generations were just Spyder.

I removed the emblems with (a lot of) Dental Floss. Then removed the spoiler and put a DA over the deck.

I then reinstalled the spoiler and Spyder emblem. The latter used a 3M adhesive that allows an emblem to be reused.