Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

The Spyder / Cayman R Auction Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2024, 11:50 PM
dpeete
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PTSGT3
Curiosity and helps understand the asking price. Most aren't buying PCCBs for the performance.
Retrofitting PCCBs or LWBS isn’t usually worth it - the individual parts are too expensive. If a buyer wants them, they should buy a car that has them.

-Doug
Old 08-04-2024, 11:51 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 500 Posts

Curiosity and helps understand the asking price. Most aren't buying PCCBs for the performance.
Not less than 10k all in to retrofit.
Old 08-05-2024, 09:34 AM
Alc
Racer

Received 532 Likes on 216 Posts

the only thing justifying his ask is the market. Fortunately or unfortunately you have a dealer that immensely overvalued a used Spyder PDK with low miles about 2 months ago (25%-35% too high) irrespective of what these car had been selling for. Because of that everyone is asking a lot more for their Spyders. It’s just a market thing. In a few months I suspect the market will cool off and the asking prices will come down if these cars don’t sell for these higher asks. Again, all it took was 1 Pdealership to set a price on a lower production car to start this price hike. Now all unique and special specs are 30%-40% higher based off that dealerships valuation. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still an awesome car.
Old 08-05-2024, 04:43 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 308 Posts

In addition to the calipers, pads, and rotors, a PCCB car requires different knuckles (aka hubs or uprights), uses a slightly larger master cylinder (between standard and GT3 in size) and the car's coding needs to be updated. For new parts you'd be looking at $25-30k. Best to buy the full kit used off a totaled car for about $6-10k.

I had PCCB on my previous 987 and absolutely loved it. There's not a better braking system out there, but I wouldn't pay to retrofit them to my current 987.

Last edited by Zach L; 08-05-2024 at 04:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zach L:
islaTurbine (08-05-2024), jreifler (08-05-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 09:24 PM
PTSGT3
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L
In addition to the calipers, pads, and rotors, a PCCB car requires different knuckles (aka hubs or uprights), uses a slightly larger master cylinder (between standard and GT3 in size) and the car's coding needs to be updated. For new parts you'd be looking at $25-30k. Best to buy the full kit used off a totaled car for about $6-10k.

I had PCCB on my previous 987 and absolutely loved it. There's not a better braking system out there, but I wouldn't pay to retrofit them to my current 987.
Very helpful, thanks.
Old 08-07-2024, 02:17 PM
plafondles
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

Boxster Spyder on BAT: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...ter-spyder-76/

Old 08-07-2024, 03:28 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 268 Posts

Nice car - but its priced like it has a PDK. Should sell fast!

***Sorry, my message was for gandalfthegray, above.***

DaveGee

Last edited by DaveGee; 08-07-2024 at 03:29 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

This one's up now: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...mpaign_2648441

I didn't realize it had an accident. Seller didn't mention to me when I was chatting with him.
Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler
This one's up now: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...mpaign_2648441

I didn't realize it had an accident. Seller didn't mention to me when I was chatting with him.
I noticed in the PCA Mart listing the side decals normally on the front bumper are missing and thought that may have been due to bodywork in the past, but the Carfax says it was a rear-end collision. It's odd.

Overall it's a super nice spec. Just needs the carbon LWBs put back in the car. The painted interior trim in the cargo area is a really nice touch and the sport look footrest should have been standard equipment... both look great!
Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zach L
I noticed in the PCA Mart listing the side decals normally on the front bumper are missing and thought that may have been due to bodywork in the past, but the Carfax says it was a rear-end collision. It's odd.

Overall it's a super nice spec. Just needs the carbon LWBs put back in the car. The painted interior trim in the cargo area is a really nice touch and the sport look footrest should have been standard equipment... both look great!
Agree very nice all in. I think with wheels and buckets he'd get top market even with the history and mileage. But he will definitely net more from the buckets out of the car than the premium they'd fetch in it . . .
Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM
Alc
Racer

Received 532 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler
Agree very nice all in. I think with wheels and buckets he'd get top market even with the history and mileage. But he will definitely net more from the buckets out of the car than the premium they'd fetch in it . . .
I guess we will see, but I would not bid just because the LWBS were removed. It’s like getting 2/3 of a car. At that point the only thing going for it is Peridot and PCCBs. But the accident will more than offset those attributes. If you get rear ended and it cannot drive, chances are the PCCBs (rotors) have damage too. When I saw the LWBS missing the first thought is the damage was severe enough to replace seats. This would gain a ton more interest with those seats still in the car and with a lot less questions that will distract bidders.
Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alc
I guess we will see, but I would not bid just because the LWBS were removed. It’s like getting 2/3 of a car. At that point the only thing going for it is Peridot and PCCBs. But the accident will more than offset those attributes. If you get rear ended and it cannot drive, chances are the PCCBs (rotors) have damage too. When I saw the LWBS missing the first thought is the damage was severe enough to replace seats. This would gain a ton more interest with those seats still in the car and with a lot less questions that will distract bidders.
Yeah. I mentioned those points when talking with him. He was originally planning on removing PCCB before selling, which would have really killed interest. At least buckets can be sourced, albeit astronomically now. But I agree with you. I would not have bought mine without buckets. And I track pretty aggressively, so PCCB would have been swapped for Girodiscs, but I love ceramics on my RS for street duty. Will be interesting to watch.

Quick Reply: The Spyder / Cayman R Auction Thread