Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

The Spyder / Cayman R Auction Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2024, 12:08 AM
BW71872
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder_2011
Looks pretty rough and likely driven on salt roads based on the corrosion underneath.
Ah I didn’t make it that far into the pictures to see the corrosion (that website isn’t great on mobile.

Pity, other than the corrosion the roughness/miles/price make it a good driver’s choice
Old 09-02-2024, 09:10 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,170 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Alc
Please let me know if anyone has a line on a Spyder with:

1. Guards Red
2. PDK
3. PCM
4. Sport Chrono
5. A/C
6. no aftermarket garbage
——— not necessary but would love———
7. LWBS
8. Sport Exhaust
9. prefer the A/C isn't spewing foam/residue (yeah, that happened when we tried to buy the last one)

wife and I are looking for a car for the long term that she can also drive. Haven’t found what I’m looking for and if we can’t find a Spyder we are going for a 2.5L 718 BGTS.
Just as a heads up, Guards, PDK and PCM alone means there are only 15 examples in North America. 14 have Sport Chrono, but that is an add on you can do later. All 14 appear to have A/C.
Old 09-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BW71872
Ah I didn’t make it that far into the pictures to see the corrosion (that website isn’t great on mobile.

Pity, other than the corrosion the roughness/miles/price make it a good driver’s choice
Question with this car is really if someone is willing/able to spend another $10k on a car without corrosion on the underside. I'm obsessive and would prefer a car with zero corrosion, but on a $56k Spyder, it's getting to the point where I would probably be ok with it. If someone is buying a show car or a 1k mile/yr car, then buy one without corrosion. If someone plans to drive it on a nice winter day when there is going to be residual salt left on the road, then I think this would be the perfect choice. I think every M3 out there is going to have this amount of corrosion (likely way more) and will be priced similarly depending on the model.
Old 09-02-2024, 10:24 AM
Alc
Racer

Received 537 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Just as a heads up, Guards, PDK and PCM alone means there are only 15 examples in North America. 14 have Sport Chrono, but that is an add on you can do later. All 14 appear to have A/C.
yup, looking for one isn’t easy but they’re out there and PDKs are usually not nearly as sought after as the MT.
Old 09-02-2024, 12:36 PM
Spyder_2011
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Question with this car is really if someone is willing/able to spend another $10k on a car without corrosion on the underside. I'm obsessive and would prefer a car with zero corrosion, but on a $56k Spyder, it's getting to the point where I would probably be ok with it. If someone is buying a show car or a 1k mile/yr car, then buy one without corrosion. If someone plans to drive it on a nice winter day when there is going to be residual salt left on the road, then I think this would be the perfect choice. I think every M3 out there is going to have this amount of corrosion (likely way more) and will be priced similarly depending on the model.
This is a good point, if you’re looking for a driver or maybe something you can track this would be a great option. I would try to push the price down further but as noted being a manual will make it more sought after and thus command more money.
Old 09-02-2024, 02:54 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyder_2011
This is a good point, if you’re looking for a driver or maybe something you can track this would be a great option. I would try to push the price down further but as noted being a manual will make it more sought after and thus command more money.
Yes, trust me, I'm a very picky buyer when it comes to condition. If this was my one sports car, I'd be looking for one without corrosion. So I 100% agree with you.

But, I also know that in every other car community except Porsche (and the low mile exotics), wouldn't bat an eye at that amount of corrosion. So this could be the perfect opportunity for someone that wants to get into a unique car but doesn't want to pay top dollar. Long term, some dry ice blasting and maybe replacement of hardware could help clean some of it up.
Old 09-02-2024, 06:46 PM
SHooks
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 53 Posts

I live in Texas where corrosion does not happen, I would buy that car and clean up with new hardware and dry ice if it were my only Porsche, I have a really nice 991 and a 914 but I wanted a Spyder I could drive and not worry about it. I bought a Spyder from a Dealer friend of mine out of Pennsylvania who acquired the car out of New Jersey/ New York that has more corrosion than the Silver one posted earlier.
I have put a couple thousand miles so far and I don’t worry about rock chips or road rash.

Last edited by SHooks; 09-02-2024 at 07:28 PM. Reason: grammer
The following users liked this post:
Zeus993 (09-05-2024)
Old 09-05-2024, 11:28 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 75 Posts

For sure, you could replace all the hardware for a relative pittance on the underside of that 59k mile car and polish up the exhaust and it would show much better and perhaps give peace of mind. As someone else said, most other car manufacturers you wouldn't think twice about it. On our daily drivers, even as a car guy, I couldn't even tell you what they looked like underneath condition wise. Rust on modern garage kept cars just doesn't even enter my mind.

Sidebar on the buckets... As one who's Spyder came with heated 'sofas' I outfitted the car with buckets afterwards to see what all the hype was about. Several months later I removed and sold them to go back to my sofas. I know seats are a very personal preference but even as a perfect candidate for the shape/fit of the buckets I'd take the sofas every damn day over the buckets. The only place buckets were a plus to me were in the weight/aesthetics. The look cool for sure but for driving, give me sofas all day every day. A meaningful part of the Spyder aura? Not at all in my experience.
The following users liked this post:
SeanPatrick31 (09-05-2024)
Old 09-05-2024, 08:57 PM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by AWay
For sure, you could replace all the hardware for a relative pittance on the underside of that 59k mile car and polish up the exhaust and it would show much better and perhaps give peace of mind. As someone else said, most other car manufacturers you wouldn't think twice about it. On our daily drivers, even as a car guy, I couldn't even tell you what they looked like underneath condition wise. Rust on modern garage kept cars just doesn't even enter my mind.

Sidebar on the buckets... As one who's Spyder came with heated 'sofas' I outfitted the car with buckets afterwards to see what all the hype was about. Several months later I removed and sold them to go back to my sofas. I know seats are a very personal preference but even as a perfect candidate for the shape/fit of the buckets I'd take the sofas every damn day over the buckets. The only place buckets were a plus to me were in the weight/aesthetics. The look cool for sure but for driving, give me sofas all day every day. A meaningful part of the Spyder aura? Not at all in my experience.
The manual sport seats offered in the Cayman R and Spyder and terrific seats. Comfortable and somewhat light weight (compared to the comfort seats and adaptive sport seats). I agree, great all-around seats.
Old 09-06-2024, 01:08 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanPatrick31
The manual sport seats offered in the Cayman R and Spyder and terrific seats. Comfortable and somewhat light weight (compared to the comfort seats and adaptive sport seats). I agree, great all-around seats.
I think you mean they're lighter than the Power seats. Comfort seats are lighter than the Sport seats, both being manual adjustment.

Last edited by Zach L; 09-06-2024 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-06-2024, 02:22 PM
Schmed
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 87 Posts

I have (had…… car sold on Monday) the sport seats and compared to the 4 ways in my new Carrera T, I like them better than the 992 seats! Simple, supportive.

but, I’m only 500 miles into 992 ownership!
Old 09-06-2024, 05:27 PM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L
I think you mean they're lighter than the Power seats. Comfort seats are lighter than the Sport seats, both being manual adjustment.
Yes, good catch. Lighter than the 8-way power seats. Five levels of seats. Manual Comfort (power recline only), Power Seats 8-way (which I call powered Comfort), Manual Sport Seats (power recline only), Adaptive Sport Seats (all power, heavy, but good), and the carbon Buckets.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: The Spyder / Cayman R Auction Thread