Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Unusual Comparison: 987.2 Spyder vs. 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 01:49 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 729 Posts
Default Unusual Comparison: 987.2 Spyder vs. 991.2 GT3

A few months ago I sold my Miami Blue 991.2 GT3 with PDK after putting 10k miles on it in 18 months (bought it new, order to spec). It was a fantastically capable car with probably one of the best motors but I found myself wanting something more 'back to basics' and something I could enjoy more often on the B-roads in North Texas. I used to track my BMWs when I lived in Chicago, mostly at Autobahn, but now I have a 2 year old and do not have the time to make a weekend getaway at the tracks around here, so most of my driving is on the somewhat twisty roads north of 380 if you are familiar with DFW.

Initially, I was hunting for a 993 S, but sadly after a couple months of looking, I couldn't find the right car (although I fully plan to look again next year and add it to the stable). Enter 987.2 Spyder... I had totally forgotten about this car probably because it came out when I was focusing on college and then the 981 Spyder took the journos by storm. I did my research, watched reviews, looked at the market and decided to go after one. Luckily, within a week of posting the WTB ad, a fellow RLer reached out with a Carrara White with MT, Buckets, Sport Shifter, AC/Radio, cupholders, Bi-xenon... it was in my garage shortly thereafter.

I don't think it's a surprise to anyone here that in the past ~10 years enthusiast cars from all brands have really started to turn a corner and over-focus on spec sheets (0-60, braking, n'ring lap times, etc.) and frivolous design elements (carbon fiber everywhere, massive wings, scoops/ducts, complicated entertainment systems, deviated stitching, etc.) while also bowing to the demands of emissions regulations. In parallel to all of this, car makers have implemented nannies galore to ensure their drivers don't faff about too much. All of this culminates to modern cars being extremely capable but at the expense of watered-down driver involvement and (in my case) joy... which is the sole reason for me to buy a fun car in the first place.

I know not everyone shares the same sentiment as I do for what a 'fun' car should be, and even the 987.2 Spyder isn't as raw as cars before it, but I truly feel like the Spyder is the goldilocks of the modern era and why I chose to get one. I think the below comparison of the GT3 and Spyder make for a good representation of why I chose to go the way of the Spyder.

Dimensions and Weight
The Spyder not only is the lighter car, but it feels like a small car. I think this is a very important discussion point. Many modern cars can lower the weight of a car by using carbon fiber, magnesium, etc... but the car can still feel big. I personally enjoy the feel of a small car as it leaves me to believe I have more control over it and is more tossable. I have more confidence where every part of the car is because it is closer to me, it's more intimate and doesn't feel like there are parts of the car that are too far for me to control.

Another point is the obvious advantage of where the weight is. Mid-engined cars have physics on their side from the beginning and it shows the moment you turn. The GT3 has RWS, engine mounts, bigger tires, and other technologies to hide this. It's funny how some 911 drivers will say "oh, well having a rear engine is part of the charm and what makes it fun to drive"... well, if that's the case, why has Porsche been trying to filter that out for 60 years?

Winner: Spyder

Steering
Hands down, the weighty and linear hydraulic steering is better than any electric steering I've driven. I can feel everything and it is real. I have complete control over where the front end is and I know when and where to adjust. Granted the electric steering in the GT3 is the best of it's kind I've driven.

Sound
Probably the worst thing about the Spyder. I don't have the PSE, but even if I did I think I would reach the same conclusion. The Spyder sounds like a blender compared to the GT3. I unplugged the vacuum lines on my GT3 and the throaty sound that turns into a 9k RPM high-pitched saw blows away the Spyder - absolutely demolishes it. I knew this going into it, and I think it would be kind of weird if the Spyder sounded like a GT3, but it's an issue I have to think about. Sound is very important to me, especially in a convertible sports car. I've got to say though, it was pretty fun to crank some 80's rock while flying through the B roads... different experience I guess.

Winner: GT3

Braking
I had PCCBs on my GT3 and I have the master brake cylinder on my Spyder with steels. The GT3 stops quicker and with a bit more confidence. The Spyder isn't deficient with braking, but the GT3 is just better in this department.

Winner: GT3

Handling
As odd as this sounds... I can drive the Spyder faster than the GT3 through the twisties. I can approach the same turns with the same speed and use less braking in the Spyder and feel more confident doing it. These are roads I've done hundreds of times and know the limit. There is less body roll and better turn-in in the Spyder. It's like orchestrated tire squeal in the Spyder and abrupt in the GT3. The Spyder gives me more confidence to take the corners faster, although the GT3 is probably more capable. The Spyder makes me faster because I feel like I have more control over what's happening, when I have doubts (and I am not is a position to properly test the limits), I slow down.

Quick note on tires: GT3 had Dunlop Sport Maxx (equivalent to Cup 2). Spyder has Michelin PS4S. The Dunlops were obviously much wider and gripier, but one thing I really enjoy about the PS4S is how much lower the road noise is when driving. The B roads aren't the smoothest roads, so constantly hearing the Dunlops got annoying.

Powertrain
Independent of everything else, the 4.0L in the GT3 is incredible. Revs quick. Mid-range torque can pull you out of corners quickly and it is mostly linear power. Feels special. It's also a LOT of power to use outside of a track, you are going fast very quickly. The issue of snap over-steer when taking a turn at high RPM is exacerbated by the amount of power. It's a fantastic engine given the proper environment to drive it in. But, at the end of the day, I always felt annoyed by not being able to exploit it all the time because the limits are so high.

The Spyder engine isn't as special but fits the car very well. You can experience all of the engine around town and on the B roads which is very satisfying for me. The power is very linear and predictable. The engine isn't a slow revving engine, but it doesn't spin up as fast as the GT3 which I kind of like, I can think while enjoying the shifts.

Winner: Standalone (GT3), fitment with the car and the way I drive it (Spyder)

Transmission
This is a bit of apples and oranges. I chose PDK in the GT3 because I thought a fast revving motorsports engine with 500hp would be too much going on to enjoy a MT... sadly I don't have much time in a MT 991.2 GT3. Although, I do know the clutch feel is heavier in the Spyder and the Spyder forces you to heel-toe (no auto rev match). The MT in the Spyder is really what makes the car. A lightweight convertible Porsche sports car really needs a MT.

PDK is super fun in its own way, it allowed me to get more out of the capabilities than a MT might have (maybe?). But, at the end of the day, MT is what connects me to a car the most and is perfect in the Spyder.

Winner: Apples and Oranges

Design
Exterior
The GT3 is definitely more aggressive looking, flashy (Miami Blue and a huge wing), has more presence, and looks more special, but the Spyder looks more classic, simple, elegant, approachable. I like both. Sometimes, the attention I got in the GT3 was fun, flying a bit under the radar in the Spyder is also fun. Honestly, I've gotten more comments in the Spyder each time than the GT3... maybe because other folks also feel like Spyder drivers are friendlier?

Interior
I specced the GT3 and the interior was gorgeous. Stitching, alcantara, leather, 12 o'clock indicator, buckets. The Spyder has a lot of the same just from 7 years prior. I will say this, the GT3's interior is moving further from classic 911 and more towards trendy digital displays, big nav screen, buttons everywhere... which I don't like.

Winner: Tie

Overall Experience
The one metric that trumps everything above is which one makes me happier when driving, and that goes to the Spyder. I feel more in control of the car, able to reach higher into its limits, more approachable. It's more analog wherein it feel like it is just me, the road and the pedals. Everything feels 'just right'... just enough power, just enough modern amenities, just enough precision, just enough space. There's no nonsense about the car, everything is driver focused and built for point A to point A destinations. Coming home from driving I couldn't stop smiling and telling my wife. It's just a better car for what I want and how I drive.

Winner overall: Spyder (what did you think I was going to say)
The following 12 users liked this post by WenigerAberBeser:
arod2051 (05-01-2022), deilenberger (06-29-2020), islaTurbine (06-03-2024), Masergss (10-28-2021), MCPorsche987S (07-01-2020), metalone (07-03-2020), peladex (07-02-2020), Porvair (07-03-2020), raidersfan (07-04-2020), Viper pilot (06-30-2020), Wilder (09-18-2022), Zeus993 (06-02-2024) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-29-2020, 02:16 PM
tq.3z
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

A lot of people buy the car they think they want rather than the one that represents the things they truly enjoy. Not saying a GT3 is a bad car but it sounds like you're where you belong and that is a good thing!

Enjoy in good health!
The following users liked this post:
Zeus993 (06-02-2024)
Old 06-29-2020, 02:26 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tq.3z
A lot of people buy the car they think they want rather than the one that represents the things they truly enjoy. Not saying a GT3 is a bad car but it sounds like you're where you belong and that is a good thing!

Enjoy in good health!
True! The GT3 was a great experience and driving it (and every other car before it) helps me get closer to the car best for me
Old 06-29-2020, 03:28 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Great review, well organized and written.

My impression of where cars are headed leads me to believe that a true driver focused car like the 987 Spyder will never come again from Porsche, especially with the changes that VW is making. There’s no fluff, technology for the sake of technology and as you said it’s “just right”. I’ve always preferred street driving for the scenery and road nuances that come with it, purchasing a track oriented car never made sense since I can’t really exploit them on the street. Your decision to move from a GT car to a street oriented car makes total sense for your use.

The Spyder is truly the perfect back road companion, you never feel uncomfortable or stressed when driving it. Instead you quickly connect with it, find yourself forgetting about everything else and focusing on the feedback it provides as you push it through the corners. I have never driven any other car that makes me feel as comfortable exploring its limits. Most other cars have quirky handling characteristics which can bite you, not the Spyder. Having said that, the neutral handling and incredible feedback don’t translate into a boring drive either, its just rewarding. The best comparison I can make to driving a Spyder for those that haven’t experienced it on proper B Roads is when you perfect a sport like Golf, skiing, mountain biking etc when everything comes together and you get everything right. You are rewarded with that “bliss” on every drive.

As far as the engine sound, I would definitely explore a PSE combined with sport headers. It won’t be GT3 good but it will be SIGNIFICANTLY better than no PSE stock exhaust. If it wasn’t for California smog rules I would already have headers on my Spyder. If you want to feel more of the engine like you do in the GT3 you might also consider WEVO engine mounts.
Zeus993 (06-02-2024)
Old 06-29-2020, 03:38 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

Wonderful writeup,

I would suggest adding PSE and a set of Headers to fix your exhaust complaints. This motor loves to sing but is very quiet without some exhaust work.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:59 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Great review, well organized and written.

My impression of where cars are headed leads me to believe that a true driver focused car like the 987 Spyder will never come again from Porsche, especially with the changes that VW is making. There’s no fluff, technology for the sake of technology and as you said it’s “just right”. I’ve always preferred street driving for the scenery and road nuances that come with it, purchasing a track oriented car never made sense since I can’t really exploit them on the street. Your decision to move from a GT car to a street oriented car makes total sense for your use.

The Spyder is truly the perfect back road companion, you never feel uncomfortable or stressed when driving it. Instead you quickly connect with it, find yourself forgetting about everything else and focusing on the feedback it provides as you push it through the corners. I have never driven any other car that makes me feel as comfortable exploring its limits. Most other cars have quirky handling characteristics which can bite you, not the Spyder. Having said that, the neutral handling and incredible feedback don’t translate into a boring drive either, its just rewarding. The best comparison I can make to driving a Spyder for those that haven’t experienced it on proper B Roads is when you perfect a sport like Golf, skiing, mountain biking etc when everything comes together and you get everything right. You are rewarded with that “bliss” on every drive.

As far as the engine sound, I would definitely explore a PSE combined with sport headers. It won’t be GT3 good but it will be SIGNIFICANTLY better than no PSE stock exhaust. If it wasn’t for California smog rules I would already have headers on my Spyder. If you want to feel more of the engine like you do in the GT3 you might also consider WEVO engine mounts.
Originally Posted by idk_alex
Wonderful writeup,

I would suggest adding PSE and a set of Headers to fix your exhaust complaints. This motor loves to sing but is very quiet without some exhaust work.
Thank you both. I do prefer the OEM path with PSE... who do you recommend for the headers?
Old 06-29-2020, 09:17 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts

PSA: If you're in a CARB emissions state think twice about catted headers.
yohoba (06-30-2020)

Trending Topics

Old 06-29-2020, 09:31 PM
MattUF
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Nice writeup and comparison.

Fabspeed catless headers have been my favorite addition to my 987 Spyder. I have the stock non-PSE exhaust and with the headers the car is both docile (when babying it) and a banshee (when flooring it).

Last edited by MattUF; 07-02-2020 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:45 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A432
PSA: If you're in a CARB emissions state think twice about catted headers.
thanks for the heads up. Fortunately, I live in Texas
Old 06-29-2020, 09:46 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MattUF
Nice writeup and comparison.

Fabspeed catless headers have been my favorite addition to my 987 Spyder. I have the stock non-PSE exhaust and with the headers the car is both docile (when babying it) and a banshee (when flooring it). 7.0.37.0.3
nice! That might be enough sound for me, if not, I might add pse. Thanks for the tip
Old 06-29-2020, 09:56 PM
MattUF
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
nice! That might be enough sound for me, if not, I might add pse. Thanks for the tip
Whenever Maverick region hosts another DE at MSR you're welcome to hear them in person
Old 06-29-2020, 10:57 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 62 Posts

I enjoyed your comparison. I only have a comment regarding this statement of yours.

"It's funny how some 911 drivers will say "oh, well having a rear engine is part of the charm and what makes it fun to drive"... well, if that's the case, why has Porsche been trying to filter that out for 60 years? "

As someone who has a fair degree of driving experience of early 911 and a more modern 911 like the 997.2, the experience and feel of driving a 911 (more so the long hoods compared to the newer cars) is vastly engaging and drastically different. Anything post 997.2, then you are talking about a longer wheelbase and a lot of technology like PDCC, PTV etc that just serves to insulate us more and more from the actual experience of that pendulum dynamics of a vehicle that has an engine in the rear. This is lost in the mid engine cars and yes that is an ABSOLUTE deal breaker for some who would never buy a mid engine car. Having said that I too own a 987.2 and would never imagine having to be without it in my stable of cars. Porsche has been trying to filter it out only because they would like to sell more cars to a work wide audience and for that they want to make these cars more driver friendly. These days anyone with perhaps even one year of driving experience can walk into a Porsche dealership and drive any model without having the fear of it biting you if you make a wrong move. The same can't be said of the rear engined Porsches of the past including a 997.2 GT3/RS.

Enjoy your keeper safely and thanks agin for sharing your thoughts.
Zeus993 (06-02-2024)
Old 06-29-2020, 11:55 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
I enjoyed your comparison. I only have a comment regarding this statement of yours.

"It's funny how some 911 drivers will say "oh, well having a rear engine is part of the charm and what makes it fun to drive"... well, if that's the case, why has Porsche been trying to filter that out for 60 years? "

As someone who has a fair degree of driving experience of early 911 and a more modern 911 like the 997.2, the experience and feel of driving a 911 (more so the long hoods compared to the newer cars) is vastly engaging and drastically different. Anything post 997.2, then you are talking about a longer wheelbase and a lot of technology like PDCC, PTV etc that just serves to insulate us more and more from the actual experience of that pendulum dynamics of a vehicle that has an engine in the rear. This is lost in the mid engine cars and yes that is an ABSOLUTE deal breaker for some who would never buy a mid engine car. Having said that I too own a 987.2 and would never imagine having to be without it in my stable of cars. Porsche has been trying to filter it out only because they would like to sell more cars to a work wide audience and for that they want to make these cars more driver friendly. These days anyone with perhaps even one year of driving experience can walk into a Porsche dealership and drive any model without having the fear of it biting you if you make a wrong move. The same can't be said of the rear engined Porsches of the past including a 997.2 GT3/RS.

Enjoy your keeper safely and thanks agin for sharing your thoughts.
you are spot on. The earlier (less powerful) 911s probably do increase charm and character by having the rear weight bias, I should’ve clarified it was regarding more modern 911s. Thanks!
Old 06-29-2020, 11:56 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MattUF
Whenever Maverick region hosts another DE at MSR you're welcome to hear them in person
Old 06-30-2020, 12:55 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

No denying the earlier 911’s have their charm and are very engaging and enjoyable to drive. They’re also incredibly capable when properly dialed in and I would highly recommend having one in the stable.

Having said that, if I had to choose just one I would still pick the car with the engine in the right place.
The following 3 users liked this post by Marine Blue:
deilenberger (06-30-2020), Viper pilot (06-30-2020), Zeus993 (06-02-2024)

Quick Reply: Unusual Comparison: 987.2 Spyder vs. 991.2 GT3