Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987.2 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 10:21 PM
Silver Surfer
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 987.2 Spyder

Great review of the 987.2 Spyder by Porsche expert Nathan Merz, of Columbia Valley Luxury Cars, at: =68.ARBMPX0XY2p1YrJvSpx8-nQVX3cXg2BQfLzHtzfFRf2tMpMLA45vBHXI1SADsQFZzG0ii9rmDbHH2ucMvpG1bWXPRdpDK UEJRLKJm9NDdLCSTHKCmATnyghvrnyf51km6ZmAOrMTirJ0CLV1MN5F75NKqVxbp4FN9UCm4 fIwMpLcJZ-wCp4wn9_i3J-18w76OmYx3BOz58GhXn9ZcXXK6SimqGGjwo8dwjoBGeT7h-_KVPNBaMBBphSP7QtvwaslVVXLuUiui4NmOs6bTYkY8bDMT3OPUhjf18iBQdJWyXOd5ipjcj ENZHhfoWC-iQ40HwTQEG6lgvrwotAQyHZbxyWAtuI2QcwcAZ0437hjEwTJ-_Vh]https://www.facebook.com/CVluxurycars
The following users liked this post:
MilesO'Smiles (08-12-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 02:07 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts

Why did I sell my 2nd 987 Spyder????
I will be in another one very soon I hope....
Anyone know of good ones for sale or coming up for sale soon?
Old 08-11-2019, 09:42 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 466 Posts

I’m not on facebook, any chance you could post the article here?
Old 08-11-2019, 10:53 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I’m not on facebook, any chance you could post the article here?
Sure thing, here is what they posted:

Gorgeous morning in the Redmond Valley this morning... All Porsche's are wonderful, some however rise to another level... The 987.2 Boxster Spyder is one such car... The spec sheet on these cars is interesting but doesn't exactly jump off the page in this era of ever increasing horsepower, but somehow there lies a synergistic harmony that is apparent within 30 seconds of driving this car... There is just something magic about these cars that defies description. MARK MY WORDS, well into the future Porschephiles will wax poetically about how this car perfectly distilled the "essence" of Porsche and market values will reflect that, these ARE the 356 Speedster of our generation! Just 891 of these made it to our shores and the Holy Grail configuration is this: 6-speed manual, Carbon Buckets, Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE). Good luck finding one like this one... It will be listed as soon as I can decide I should actually sell it, I HATE my job sometimes as I fall in love with my inventory....
Old 08-11-2019, 11:24 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daylorb
Sure thing, here is what they posted:

Gorgeous morning in the Redmond Valley this morning... All Porsche's are wonderful, some however rise to another level... The 987.2 Boxster Spyder is one such car... The spec sheet on these cars is interesting but doesn't exactly jump off the page in this era of ever increasing horsepower, but somehow there lies a synergistic harmony that is apparent within 30 seconds of driving this car... There is just something magic about these cars that defies description. MARK MY WORDS, well into the future Porschephiles will wax poetically about how this car perfectly distilled the "essence" of Porsche and market values will reflect that, these ARE the 356 Speedster of our generation! Just 891 of these made it to our shores and the Holy Grail configuration is this: 6-speed manual, Carbon Buckets, Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE). Good luck finding one like this one... It will be listed as soon as I can decide I should actually sell it, I HATE my job sometimes as I fall in love with my inventory....
Thank you!

Nathan is right about the Spyder being special and I know he’s been exposed to some very special Porsche’s over the years. I doubt he’ll hang on to this one but who knows. He’s also right that they are getting harder to find without stories. Hope he keeps it!
Old 08-13-2019, 01:22 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Thank you!

Nathan is right about the Spyder being special and I know he’s been exposed to some very special Porsche’s over the years. I doubt he’ll hang on to this one but who knows. He’s also right that they are getting harder to find without stories. Hope he keeps it!
I reached out to this guy Nathan that posted that and he said he is keeping this one....
Old 08-13-2019, 02:10 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Really .. Nice to see the pros changing their mind. He had a very different take when he was drove my Spyder #1 a couple of years ago. Its good for us Spyder enthusiasts when such statements are released as the investors/speculators really don't listen to us and they are the ones who keep the values steady
Old 08-13-2019, 06:48 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

I would have to agree that the 987.2 Spyder is special. About a year after I bought mine I was invited to a evening event and was asked to host Mr. Michael Barsh who at that time was the COO of Porsche Cars North America. We had a great evening , a nice meal some good wine and very enjoyable conversation . When the evening ended and we were saying goodby he looked at me and said, your Spyder is a special car that will someday be a classic. We will never make another like it , don’t ever sell it ...... you know I think he might be right.
Well several years later I did trade it in for another Porsche ..... fortunately it was in Feb and soft tops don’t sell Well even in Texas in Feb. Well I watched it on their showroom floor for about four days and bought it back .... smartest move I made and we have enjoyed it even more since that almost bad mistake.... and we don’t even take the top off that often .

bottom line, if you have one keep it, if you can find one buy it and enjoy a true sports car and perhaps the last of the breed.
This is not meant as a slap to those that have a later Spyder, it is just a different car

Two questions for the more informed:

One, someone mentioned that there were 891 Spyder for the US, I thought the number was more in the mid 700's I know there were only 142 2012 models.

Two, how many people are the original owners and still have that Spyder. Yes, I foolishly traded mine in but the dealer had it for only several days and had not submitted the paperwork so according to the state I am the only owner of record. To be specific I am the first and second owner but still the only owner ... and I got extra warranty out of it.

Last edited by f4 plt; 08-13-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:07 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is Eduardo’s original thread with the production number explanation: https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...er-spyder.html. The 891 figure is accurate but it represents Spyders built for US and Canada. As I understand it, there are no differences between the two although I’m not sure if the odometer and speedometer are in km for the Canadian cars?

I am still the original owner of my Spyder. I know there are a handful of others on this forum that have had theirs since new.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:44 AM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut

Why did I sell my 2nd 987 Spyder????
I will be in another one very soon I hope....
Anyone know of good ones for sale or coming up for sale soon?
I'm on my 3rd and final 987 Spyder
FYI there is an awesome white one for sale Autotrader. Checks all the boxes.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:04 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,247 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I would have to agree that the 987.2 Spyder is special. About a year after I bought mine I was invited to a evening event and was asked to host Mr. Michael Barsh who at that time was the COO of Porsche Cars North America. We had a great evening , a nice meal some good wine and very enjoyable conversation . When the evening ended and we were saying goodby he looked at me and said, your Spyder is a special car that will someday be a classic. We will never make another like it , don’t ever sell it ...... you know I think he might be right.
Well several years later I did trade it in for another Porsche ..... fortunately it was in Feb and soft tops don’t sell Well even in Texas in Feb. Well I watched it on their showroom floor for about four days and bought it back .... smartest move I made and we have enjoyed it even more since that almost bad mistake.... and we don’t even take the top off that often .

bottom line, if you have one keep it, if you can find one buy it and enjoy a true sports car and perhaps the last of the breed.
This is not meant as a slap to those that have a later Spyder, it is just a different car

Two questions for the more informed:

One, someone mentioned that there were 891 Spyder for the US, I thought the number was more in the mid 700's I know there were only 142 2012 models.

Two, how many people are the original owners and still have that Spyder. Yes, I foolishly traded mine in but the dealer had it for only several days and had not submitted the paperwork so according to the state I am the only owner of record. To be specific I am the first and second owner but still the only owner ... and I got extra warranty out of it.
I think we'll let you get away with "Single Owner" status!
Old 08-16-2019, 12:05 AM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 404 Likes on 122 Posts

I just stumbled across this thread as I was doing a little brainstorming for a few small items on the new to me 987 Spyder. I am glad you all enjoyed my little review! Interestingly enough I have driven several of these (and in fact I sold this example to my client ~3 years ago) as well as having driven Amar's car several years ago. I have also driven the 981 Spyder and the as yet to be released 718 Spyder, which are both amazing cars in their own right, but they seem a little less pure, the designs seem less simple/elegant and I felt more "impressed" than in love.. Sometimes I think one has to look in the mirror to recognize greatness. I am primarily a collector of air-cooled cars and own quite a few, but over the years I have owned various 996, 997, 991, GT Cars, et al and while I have enjoyed them, they never last in my garage longterm yet the air-cooled cars seem to have a certain "stick" factor for me.

I hopped in this 2011 early last week to drive it from my clients home to my office and I just couldn't shake this overall sense that I needs to stay with me. Being in the business means I obviously cant keep everything or else it would simply be a hobby! I slept on it, consulted with the wife (who simply shrugged and said "fine...") and it was done... The only sad part is that it does mean that I will be selling my 986 Boxster (my only "modern" Porsche) as I just don't need 2 Boxster, but it will be hard as its a very rare color and I have spent quite a bit of time making it just how I want it. Luckily the Spyder makes that decision easy!

So here is my new to me Spyder: 6-speed, LWBS, PSE, SS, Sport Chrono, AC, etc...

Here is my cherished Zanzibar 986...

Zeus993 (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 09:40 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Excellent Nathan, nice to see you join the group! I think you’ll find that after a few jaunts in the twisty roads the car gets under your skin. It has an old school Porsche feel but with a more modern steering response and the controls/inputs are exactly as you would expect. Plenty of power, tons of grip but not so much that you can’t have some fun and beautiful.
Zeus993 (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 11:30 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by nathan1
. . . . . So here is my new to me Spyder: 6-speed, LWBS, PSE, SS, Sport Chrono, AC, etc...
Wise choice on the Spyder and congrats!

But I can certainly understand the dilemma on the 986 as Zanzibar is one of my all-time favorite colors. Hope there might be some way to hold on to both because I sense the 986 has been a labor of love. Perhaps your wife has one more shrug left in her??
Old 08-16-2019, 11:38 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,247 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by nathan1
I just stumbled across this thread as I was doing a little brainstorming for a few small items on the new to me 987 Spyder. I am glad you all enjoyed my little review! Interestingly enough I have driven several of these (and in fact I sold this example to my client ~3 years ago) as well as having driven Amar's car several years ago. I have also driven the 981 Spyder and the as yet to be released 718 Spyder, which are both amazing cars in their own right, but they seem a little less pure, the designs seem less simple/elegant and I felt more "impressed" than in love.. Sometimes I think one has to look in the mirror to recognize greatness. I am primarily a collector of air-cooled cars and own quite a few, but over the years I have owned various 996, 997, 991, GT Cars, et al and while I have enjoyed them, they never last in my garage longterm yet the air-cooled cars seem to have a certain "stick" factor for me.

I hopped in this 2011 early last week to drive it from my clients home to my office and I just couldn't shake this overall sense that I needs to stay with me. Being in the business means I obviously cant keep everything or else it would simply be a hobby! I slept on it, consulted with the wife (who simply shrugged and said "fine...") and it was done... The only sad part is that it does mean that I will be selling my 986 Boxster (my only "modern" Porsche) as I just don't need 2 Boxster, but it will be hard as its a very rare color and I have spent quite a bit of time making it just how I want it. Luckily the Spyder makes that decision easy!

So here is my new to me Spyder: 6-speed, LWBS, PSE, SS, Sport Chrono, AC, etc...

Here is my cherished Zanzibar 986...

There is nothing as beautiful as a pristine Carrara White Spyder. Stunning and a great addition to your crib, Nathan. Well played!

Anf the Zanzibar Red Boxster? Beautiful. I feel your pain...

Quick Reply: 987.2 Spyder