Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Black Spec Boxster Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 08:16 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Provost Motorsports
As the pistol is usually not the problem.... the electrical part of the switch is the main failure point ....seems like a lot of work for a 20$ switch....just saying
We replace the electrical part of the switch all the time here for reasons mentioned above with great results.....
I did mine because it had let me down on grid before and the car was apart and I was rewiring it anyway. Turns out, this mod only took about an extra 40 minutes, saved me about 3-4 lbs (remember , my car is nearly 100lbs over) and replaced a $20 switch that can fail with a $10 switch this is not likely to fail. Would have I don't it if I wasn't rewiring? Maybe not
Old 01-22-2017, 04:14 PM
Andrew.M.Cox
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Lisle 56500 works (barely) for removing the fuse pins from the rear. I've got a bout 20 fuses left (could probably drop a few still). I started removing some the pins, in order to reroute the fuse panel, but using that tools is a giant PITA. Of the few pins that I removed, I'm worried that I've over-stressed the connections, so now I'm going to use an aftermarket fuse panel instead and drop the 20 leftover fuses into it. Any recommendations on a generic fuse panel, like a pair of these Blue Sea Systems ST Blade ATO/ATC Fuse Blocks? I'd like to use the same fuses to keep it easy if possible.

Last edited by Andrew.M.Cox; 01-23-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:00 AM
gyuill
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Blue Sea blocks are what I used for my build. Used a 6 block for permanent 12v, 12 block for switched 12v. Work out what load you will be pulling and run the correct number of power leads from the distribution panel, otherwise you might blow the fusible links.

I relocated them to behind the airbag panel.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:34 PM
Andrew.M.Cox
Instructor

These Blue blocks are like 100A max. Can I simply add my remaining fuses from the stock box and put any combination in here that's less than 100A?

What about the power wire, it seems the stock panel has only a few fuses per power wire? I'm not sure what gauge power wire to run here, though I've seen some charts online that define number or amps to gauge size.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:52 PM
Andrew.M.Cox
Instructor

So looking at my remaining fuses, I have 15 total. I think I'll want to run (2) 6-fuse blocks and (1) 10-fuse block, each of which a 100A max, then I allocated accordingly and I'll have a few empty fuses left for accessories later. In the Porsche wiring diagram, I found the ratings for each of the power wires coming out of the power block which will be a good reference.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:44 PM
choeglund
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

I used 2 small 4-fuse and 2 small 6-fuse blocks. 2 are constant power re-using wires from the power block in the passenger foootwell and 2 are switched using power wires from the back of the ignition switch. If you re-use stock power wires and balance the draw across the blocks you should have adequate gauge. Also, an extra tip - replace the ignition switch while you have the dash apart. Mine started to act up shortly after I got the dash back together and it was far more difficult to access with dash and seat in place. Good Luck.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:21 PM
Andrew.M.Cox
Instructor

Here's my build workbook, with a price/work list and all of my wiring notes/remaining fuses/relocated fuses to marine blocks mapping/remaining relays.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 04-03-2017, 06:21 PM
Andrew.M.Cox
Instructor

There's a set of used sway bars, $400 shipped. Is this what I need? Any thoughts about buying used sway bars?

Front: 996.343.701.21
Rear: 996.333.701.26
Old 05-15-2017, 05:15 PM
Andrew.M.Cox
Instructor

I'm pretty much done with wiring, except for the kill switch and eventual transponder and cool suit. What are the best practices for the tangled web of wires that will live under the dash? Should I try to make bundles of wires wrapped in electrical tape where possible to keep them safe from rubbing, vibrations, etc.?
Old 05-15-2017, 06:09 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew.M.***
I'm pretty much done with wiring, except for the kill switch and eventual transponder and cool suit. What are the best practices for the tangled web of wires that will live under the dash? Should I try to make bundles of wires wrapped in electrical tape where possible to keep them safe from rubbing, vibrations, etc.?
I'll be interested in feedback on this one as well. I may throw mine in a fire blanket using zip
ties for the moment but that's no permanent answer.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:59 AM
mjj0000
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was very happy with this spiral cut tubing ... works much better than the split corrugated style.

http://www.wiringdepot.com/store/c/1...ut-Tubing.aspx

I purchased mine at Ax Man Surplus. I also believe that Grainger's sells it. Actual wrapping was not that bad ... I started at my fuse box and identified the wires going to the rear and wrapped them and the rest just fell together.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:57 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm using 3M friction tape on everything, sticks well to itself but does not leave residue on the wires.

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-16-2017, 11:26 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
I'm using 3M friction tape on everything, sticks well to itself but does not leave residue on the wires.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This. Also sometimes called grip tape.

This is what mine looked like after all taped up and cleaned up before the dash went back in

Quick Reply: Black Spec Boxster Build