Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Jannone
Looking good indeed!
Nice!
Old 11-20-2016, 12:54 PM
Andrew.M.Cox
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm getting towards the end of round 1 wiring cleanup. The alarm unit is ready to relocate, and I only had to extend two wires - a ground and an orange wire. Regarding the stock fuse panel and relay panel (greatly downsized), should I keep them in the factory location near the drivers left? I see people moving these under the dash, why?
Old 11-20-2016, 01:01 PM
Andrew.M.Cox
Instructor

Down to 8 wires. Shrink wrapped, in case I need to reconnect anything. I found this nice summary from another racer. I validated for myself in the wiring diagram.

I = blue
II = black

II/1, 2.5, Br. , Earth at GP7 (the big brown wire that bolts beside the box)
I/2, 0.35, Or/Bk, Diagnosis (the OBD plug)
I/3, 0.35, Bk/Rd, Signal transformer box (nearsteering column)
I/4, 0.35, Bk. , Signal transformer box
I/12, 0.35, Bk/Ye, Signal transformer box
I/16, 0.35, Or. , Fuse E1 (fuse box)
I/23, 0.50, Or/Wt, ECU term 88 "w" lead - diagnosis
I/36, 0.50, Bk/Br, Fuse B6 (fuse box)

After shrink wrapping, I made electrical tape bundles.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:11 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moving the fuse box just gives you more room by your feet
Old 01-03-2017, 11:59 AM
sbeamish
Intermediate

Very good progress! Get to work so we can get a cage in it.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:06 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 968workaholic
Moving the fuse box just gives you more room by your feet
Definitely move the fuse box and relays. The less around your feet the better I say

Here is what my car looked like right before I finished cleaning up the wiring. You can see there is much more room around the feet.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:19 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Matt do you heel toe with your heel on that setup (as opposed to the side of the foot technique)
Old 01-03-2017, 05:45 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Side of the foot. But I have giant feet
Old 01-09-2017, 05:27 PM
Andrew.M.Cox
Instructor

Matt. Where do your wires run towards the back of the car now? I don't see anything down the left door. Also, I see you've got the original dash crossbar plus cage bar. I've heard of people removing the stock bar. Any thoughts there?
Old 01-09-2017, 08:44 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andrew.M.***
Matt. Where do your wires run towards the back of the car now? I don't see anything down the left door. Also, I see you've got the original dash crossbar plus cage bar. I've heard of people removing the stock bar. Any thoughts there?
My wiring harness is very customized. I started with the stock harness, removed everything not needed and then changed the paths the wires took so they made more sense for a dedicated race car. All wires running front to back run down the center tunnel on the passenger side. There are also no wires on the passenger rocker. Wires enter the trunk now on the passenger side of the car and I was able to remove one of the rear connector sets completely (yellow connector). I did this to remove all possible obstructions from the driver side and to simplify the entire system. I also have no key to start the car, once again to simplify the system and reduce points of failure.

Cage design to me is best left to cage designers, like Jay from JPC. The cage in my car was built by a cage builder who typically builds top fuel drag cars. As result it's both overbuilt and heavy. But my car is stiff and has easily survived a 4G impact with just sheet metal damage (drivers side). Personally, more bars are better!
Old 01-10-2017, 08:50 AM
Provost Motorsports
Advanced

Correct me if I am wrong here....But all Boxsters have a pill in the key for the alarm control module ....some did not have trunk releases but all had a pill and removing it requires the dme to be modified so it does not need a transponder which is "ILLEGAL"
The Texas boys had a couple of cars this way and were disqualified for illegal modifications to the DME.....
Old 01-10-2017, 08:58 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Provost Motorsports
Correct me if I am wrong here....But all Boxsters have a pill in the key for the alarm control module ....some did not have trunk releases but all had a pill and removing it requires the dme to be modified so it does not need a transponder which is "ILLEGAL"
The Texas boys had a couple of cars this way and were disqualified for illegal modifications to the DME.....
Who said I removed the pill?
Old 01-11-2017, 10:15 AM
jaundice
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Likely still has key and ignition in car to satisfy the immobolizer, but bypassed the ignition piece and put it on a push button.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:12 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

So I got a few PM's on the ignition switch asking about how it's done, so rather than answer the same question multiple times, I will just answer it here.

There is no magic. As Provost pointed out above, removing the mobilizer requires an illegal change to the DME. However, the ignition switch is a point of failure. So I removed the pill from the key, disassembled the lock assembly to separate the mechanical barrel from the electronics. I taped the pill from the key to the sensor ring and then wired a start switch to where the original ignition switch was wired to. This removes the failure point, but keeps the immobilizer.

Quick Reply: Black Spec Boxster Build