Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Calling all SpecBoxers...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Laura
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott,

The reply when asked about several improvements made was 'if it increases reliability, and has no performance gain, I have no problem with it'.
Again, interpretation, vague, intent of the statement?

And Scott, I have been around racing for a very, very long time in many forms and in varying capacities. Professional and club. I understand about interpretation of the rules. In my younger years I was head of a logistical engineering department. I get it.

Boxster spec rules are not 'notoriously tight' in any way, shape or form. Read them, you'll understand. When you have rules that you want followed explicitly, you need to write the rule explicitly. They need to be distinct and defined.

Vague or gray, to be challenged? Ok, but when you supply the facts and all supporting evidence you would expect the ruling party to look into that. They did not. The committe was supplied with very ambiguous information and they made their decision. Many did not know how the immobilzer even worked. They didn't know how the mechanics of the steering housing worked.
The appeal ruling was based on the committee's decision and the committee members never talked to Eric or saw any of his supporting information.
Is that fair and in the spirit?

Last edited by Laura; 12-02-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:15 PM
jittsl
Racer

Originally Posted by winders

Spec class rules are notoriously tight. If you want to do something that is in a grey area of the rules, you go to the rules committee (or equivalent) and you get a ruling. If you are smart and want to cover you butt, you get it in writing.

Scott
How about the rules writers making their intention clear in the first place and not put the onus upon us poor bastards who just trying to have fun to figure out what they might have meant. It's not like spec racing was invented yesterday.

All they had to say was " all functions of the ECU, along with the associated immobilizer and any other **** that resides within the silver box Bosch part #986 XXXXXXX, must remain unmodified ".
Old 12-02-2011, 09:45 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by jittsl
How about the rules writers making their intention clear in the first place and not put the onus upon us poor bastards who just trying to have fun to figure out what they might have meant. It's not like spec racing was invented yesterday.

All they had to say was " all functions of the ECU, along with the associated immobilizer and any other **** that resides within the silver box Bosch part #986 XXXXXXX, must remain unmodified ".
If we only lived in a perfect world......

Scott
Old 12-03-2011, 06:35 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

It looks like getting a forum is a cart and horse deal, so the traffic has to justify the need... So we got a sticky, if we continue to use this as the forum for discussions, either in this post or in the forum I think we can build the case...
Old 12-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keeping the dream alive. Any other Spec Boxsters out there? Speak up
Old 12-05-2011, 11:43 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Speaking up

Btw, I will be installing a trans cooler this off season. Would be nice to have a forum to put the write up
Old 12-05-2011, 11:53 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Keeping up the traffic...

Could the transcooler be the ticket for the reliability issue? Any rules issues with it? And speaking of rules, who's in the know of the 2012 rules from each org? I put together a matrix in excel but don't have all the new rule sets...
Old 12-06-2011, 12:26 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Speaking up

Btw, I will be installing a trans cooler this off season. Would be nice to have a forum to put the write up
Great idea. I run a Tilton pump to a small cooler located behind one of the side radiators. Also on the advise of Paul Guard and Viking I run (ran?) Synoloc 9920 gear oil in both my current 996 and my Spec Box...
Old 12-06-2011, 03:05 AM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Also on the advise of Paul Guard and Viking I run (ran?) Synoloc 9920 gear oil in both my current 996 and my Spec Box...
He's talking about this gear lube if anyone was curious.

http://www.le-inc.com/productPages.jsp?productID=202
Old 12-06-2011, 03:30 AM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard

Could the transcooler be the ticket for the reliability issue? Any rules issues with it? And speaking of rules, who's in the know of the 2012 rules from each org? I put together a matrix in excel but don't have all the new rule sets...
PCA SPB and POC BSR rules for 2012 appear to be closely aligned, except for PCA allowing Lexan windshields:

PCA 2012 Spec Boxster Rules Changes (from Volume 4 2011 Club Racing News - http://pca.org/portals/crn/CRN-2011-4.pdf )

SPEC BOXSTER:
1. The Spec tire in SPB is the Toyo RA1.
This tire, unshaven, serves as the rain tire as well.
2. Lexan windshields are allowed.
3. The engine air injection system may be removed.
4. Transmission oil coolers are allowed

2011 PCA Rules
http://pca.org/portals/cr/2011_club_..._rule_book.pdf

2012 POC BoxsterSpec Rules:
http://poc.westhostsite.com/forum/sh...!&referrerid=0
Old 12-06-2011, 09:33 AM
TIM COSTA
Pro

I'm running the same set up as JR. Only differance is my cooler is located in the rear trunk to shorten the distance of the aeroquip lines.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:16 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

No toyo bucks for spec box?!

Just got an update on the NASA/TOYO contingency payouts for the 944SPEC, I've gotten a few sets of tires over the past few seasons, but no Specbox is listed?! If it's the spec mfrg why no toyobucks? Is this an oversight? Did anyone get a payout last year? It's not huge but a few tires is a pretty cool trophie for a season...

I have the PCA, POC rules but anyone have any insight as to NASA 2012? Would think they would be out in front of everyone.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:22 AM
mjj0000
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can anyone report transmission lubricant temperatures with and/or without an auxiliary cooler?
Old 12-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 74 Posts

No toyo bucks for spec box?!

Just got an update on the NASA/TOYO contingency payouts for the 944SPEC, I've gotten a few sets of tires over the past few seasons, but no Specbox is listed?! If it's the spec mfrg why no toyobucks? Is this an oversight? Did anyone get a payout last year? It's not huge but a few tires is a pretty cool trophie for a season...

I have the PCA, POC rules but anyone have any insight as to NASA 2012? Would think they would be out in front of everyone.
I thought it was in place last year.

If it's been dropped this year that probably doesn't bode well for SPB in Nasa
Old 12-06-2011, 10:45 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Ok, how about another topic to discuss:

The SP996 guys in Texas have been talking amongst ourselves about allowing a specific floating rotor assembly. Our philosophy is generally to not allow changes to the spec that are aimed at performance enhancement, but we are thinking that over a couple of years (or maybe just one year) the floating rotors will give lower running costs due to decreases in rotor cracking, and also lower replacement costs (once you get over the one-time upgrade cost).

Probably not as applicable to SPB, but I suppose it could be.

Comments?

Quick Reply: Calling all SpecBoxers...