Sponsored by:

GT3 Convenience Features - Mod thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 11:33 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Received 848 Likes on 372 Posts
Default GT3 Convenience Features - Mod thread

I love my 992 GT3 Touring - in my book, it's one of the most amazing machines ever launched on the general public. However, even masterpieces can be improved. While I understand the "ethos" of the Porsche GT series, I feel that Porsche could have compromised just a wee bit with some of the convenience features. Of course my frame of reference is the 992 TTS, which has every convenience feature and gizmo known to man. But there are a few obvious omissions that I'd like to add back:
  1. Heated wheel - Can't figure out why this wasn't an option on the GT3 - weight penalty near zero. I purchased several OEM heated wheels from Protekpartseu.com in Romania -Stratulat Razvan, the owner does excellent work, and he is very quick to reply to requests. I also purchased a few wheels for my TTS, and the heating works perfectly. To add heating to the GT3, a new stalk switch unit is required as the GT3 version does not have the pins for the heating switch. I purchased a new unit off of ebay for around $400 - PN 992 953 502 EK HUO. This unit has the correct cruise control, wiper and turn stalks, and is setup for heating. Once installed, this will need to be programmed with PIWIS, which I will attempt. I do know that on previous models a "code" was required to activate heating - not sure if this applies to the 992. If so, there are some online sources for "hacked" code, so hopefully I can get this programmed.
  2. Heated seats - my GT3 Touring came with LWCBs, but I've also sourced a set of 991 generation 18 ways that I'm currently reupholstering with custom plaid centers and DB Carbon backs and sides. As my car came with buckets, no heating switches are present. I purchased the switch unit, PN992 959 365 DSTDL (about $500) and next step is to disassemble the center console and "hope" there is a plug present. If not, I have the wiring diagrams, and will have to figure out how to spice in the CAN buss connection and of course source the correct male plug. Not sure if PIWIS enablement will be necessary, but we will find out!
  3. Ventilated and Memory seats. If I do find a nice set of 18 way memory seats, I will attempt to implement the memory function. There are only a few different controllers from what I can tell, and of course the door switch. As an added bonus, it's nice to have the seat power backwards when the ignition is switched off making egress easier.
  4. Power folding mirrors - not a high priority for me, but might tackle this one if I find a good core set of mirrors.
  5. Comfort door handle function - this is the proximity feature that opens the door handles as you approach. Handy, but not sure how complicated this will be to implement.
Most of these mods are not practical, nor economic, but should be a fun project, a good learning experience, and will force me to become one with PIWIS. I was able to get an hourly-based subscription to the PPN (Porsche Partner Network) so do have access to most of the technical information. It's a bit challenging to find information on that site, but there is a wealth of data

This is the new stalk with pins for heated wheel

This is the new center console trim with heated seat switches.

I'll update the thread as I progress with successes / failures and hopefully other members can chime in with any advice / experiences.
The following 6 users liked this post by f4bones:
Charcharius (04-07-2024), cyn (05-13-2024), dixonk (02-27-2024), dontlookback (07-06-2024), Gk101 (04-07-2024), GT3 Mike (02-27-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-27-2024, 01:10 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,632 Likes on 726 Posts

Curious if you manage to get comfort access retrofitted. It’s probably the feature I miss the most from moving from the C2S to GT3. All my other vehicles have it so mind/muscle memory is real.
The following users liked this post:
thigos (02-28-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 01:57 AM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be possible . . so hopefully after I conquer the easy mods, I'll move onto this one and hopefully post the step by step process with PIWIS coding. I'll enlist @rnlst_log to help . .. .
dixonk (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 04:19 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by f4bones
I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be possible . . so hopefully after I conquer the easy mods, I'll move onto this one and hopefully post the step by step process with PIWIS coding. I'll enlist @rnlst_log to help . .. .
I think #5 is doable. You will need to check your wiring harness for the sensors. We added gesture control with PIWIS for the frunk and trunk here on 982. The door handles use the same keyless antenna/sensor.

Edit. Door handle sensor has a different part number

Last edited by 718socal; 02-28-2024 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-27-2024, 04:31 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

That's encouraging - I need to figure out the differences in controller / antennas between the GT3 and the TTS - one would think that the remote already communicates and thus it should know proximity, but not sure if there is a different redundant system that determines proximity and sends the signal . . some research to be done here.
Old 04-04-2024, 10:31 AM
Tarun.C
3rd Gear

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Subscribed to this thread and following. I am interested in #3 (memory seats) and #4 (comfort access).
- I have the 18 way and it is a pain - anytime, anyone else gets in (valet, service center, wife) and then have to remember exactly the right position!
- Comfort access is a usability issue - every time I am outside the house and parked, I have to take the key out, unlock the car and then promptly put the key back into the pocket, since I don't need to insert it in.
Old 04-04-2024, 11:50 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Felt same way when ordering. Details on PAG's site showed features for the GT3 Touring like 'memory seats' but failed to come with them. During the production cycle for the first year 992 GT3's I was told those would NOT be on the vehicle even though Porsche specifically identified the feature. Why? "Chip Shortage" - "Race Car" - "Weight Saving"....take your pick. Same for ventilated 18-ways. Clearly none of the comfort features mentioned would amount to more than a few ounces of weight. Still love the Touring, but some things should have been on the car. Good luck with your changes.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 04-04-2024, 12:37 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Right now I'm working on heated seats, heated steering wheel and power folding mirrors. I just got shipping notification that the steering wheel switch unit is on the way, so should have some answers on that next week. I also have the new motorized mirror internals and door switch ready to install. One interesting discovery - the mirror internals with or without the power fold feature weigh exactly the same - seems like they simply deleted the wires! Thus, not offering power folding mirrors saved exactly ZERO weight - purely Porsche's marketing arm trying to hammer home the "race car" ethos over substance . . .

I also have new door handles and a few antennas on order to test out "convenience opening" - again, this feature was deleted with zero weight savings. Hopefully we can add it back. It's a bit more difficult as door handles will need to be painted to body color should I be able to program them in. . .
Tarun.C (04-08-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 12:14 AM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Ok - some progress today - got power folding mirrors working on the GT3T as well as heated seats! For mirrors, I found a used set that had heat, dimming, folding and cameras - then added a PN 992-959-858-K-HTO window switch (has the power folding button). Then some quick programming with PIWIS and bingo - works!

For the heated seats, I had to add 5 wires to each seat connector (really 4, but the 991 generation seat has a separate ground on pin 13, so added that as well). The 992 generation seat has separate circuits for seat base and back heaters, while the 991, both are on one circuit. I intend to rewire the 991 seats I have to separate the heating circuits so that I can take advantage of the "heat balance" control (mix between seat bottom and back heat". Each seat connection when you order buckets, lacks the 4 wires for heat (two supply, two control) - thus to add heated seats to a bucket car, you need to run 4 wires from each seat connector to BCM1, which is located right above driver's side fuse box. I went ahead and purchased color coded wires to match the factory drawing - kind of a PITA as had to pull seats, carpet, center console etc.

Next up heated steering wheel - the new column switch should be here next week, so should have that working here shortly. I also ordered the memory seat button for the drivers door - the PNs for the seat controllers are different between the 992 Turbo S seats and the 992 GT3 - I need pull my TTS seats to see what the supplier PN is for the controller and then try and figure out what else is required for memory seats. I'm pretty confident I'll get these working as well.

Haven't really done much research on "comfort opening" - I know door handles are different as the comfort closing feature requires a capacitance pad on the door handle. I ordered a set of handles to experiment with. I'll probably tackle this one with I install the 360 deg camera mod . . .

I'm pretty happy that it now seems we can add back all the silly deletions that Porsche implemented on the GT3. Will make it a much more pleasurable driving experience!

The following 3 users liked this post by f4bones:
dixonk (04-07-2024), Gk101 (04-07-2024), M5150 (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 12:11 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,115 Likes on 616 Posts

I’m most interested in the power folding mirrors. Would you mind documenting it in detail please?
Thanks!
Old 04-07-2024, 01:18 PM
Charcharius
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Subscribed! Nice work, @f4bones !

I'm keep on your seat memory and reupholstering efforts, and the comfort access! I'd love to have my seat centres (I'm Canadian) swapped out for something more unique, but a bit hesitant to go 'first'.
Old 04-07-2024, 01:25 PM
Orca911
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 225 Posts

Tire temperature. It's a useless function on the street yet my GTS had it. Why not a detailed tire temp readout on dash for a track car.
The following 3 users liked this post by Orca911:
cyn (05-13-2024), Gk101 (04-07-2024), M5150 (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 03:35 PM
1RedHead
Racer

Received 289 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Orca911
Tire temperature. It's a useless function on the street yet my GTS had it. Why not a detailed tire temp readout on dash for a track car.
My Mercedes SUV even has this. Was really surprised that the GT3 doesnt.
Old 04-07-2024, 03:54 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,085 Likes on 647 Posts

Is Mars helping with the Piwis programming or did you figure it out on your own?

F4 does it again! I love following this stuff.

M3Inline6 (04-27-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 04:12 PM
Gk101
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

I absolutely love this! I wanted to add keyless entry to my 958.2 Cayenne GTS but didn't want to risk messing with it and here you are with your 911.

I wouldn't mind fold in mirrors for my 992 GT3RS!

Quick Reply: GT3 Convenience Features - Mod thread