Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Cold feet -- Anyone regret their TT/S?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 10:41 AM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Cold feet -- Anyone regret their TT/S?

So I accepted an allocation for a TTS yesterday, but I was up all night tossing and turning. Kind of getting cold feet. My concerns are:
1) Is the car just too fast? (You know... "more fun to drive a slow car fast... than a fast car slow..."). My 992 C4S is pretty damn fast. Would I really want more power on the street? Is the acceleration really even accessible / usable? I don't look good in orange stripes.
2) I worry I'll miss the engagement / fun factor of the MT in my Carrera. The PDK is no doubt a technical marvel in its own right.
3) Money isn't really a factor here (I'm not stretching my budget for the TTS), but I could trade my C4S for a GTS (there are some options I'd like to change) and have enough budget to pick up a GT4 for track work or a Spyder for top down cruising. Two cars vs 1 super car....
4) I worry a little bit about parking the TTS, wanting to baby it too much, etc. given the price tag. Will be my most expensive car purchase. That said, I used to feel that way about some of my more expensive Langes and Journes (babied them at first) and now rock them on the sailboat like they're a Rolex.

Popular Reply

08-19-2021, 10:11 PM
stetty
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Not to hijack the thread... mine is arriving in November. I'm currently driving a F90 M5. I still haven't driven the 992TTS. Anyone drive both the M5 and TTS? I would love to know how much faster the TTS feels as compared to the M5. I know handling is going to be in a different league.
I’m your guy here. I had a beautiful Nardo individual M5 that had lots of work done to make it one of a kind. I was in love with the car, still love the memories. But…I’m a Porsche guy and am only a BMW guy when Porsche doesn’t have something that fits the need or beats the competition. You want a killer sedan that burns gas? You’re in the right car good doctor. Nobody makes a better sedan than the current M5. Nobody. It is a surprisingly fast car, most people don’t appreciate just how fast and drivable the current M5 is. It’s insane.

However…if you want the ultimate sports car that is still practical, comfortable and shames cars considered “hyper cars”? Then nobody comes close to the 992 Turbo S. Nobody. This car is smooth and calming when you are gentle and drive it in “normal mode”. It is polite, even says please and thank you. Put it in sport and push a little and it gives you a gentle smack in the face and calls you a name. But then? It apologizes to you. Put it in sport plus, the spoilers extend, the exhaust gets deeper, the PDCC activates. You want to push it now? It will punch you in the throat with a closed fist and make you get on your knees and say YOU are sorry. I’m normally not into that kind of thing but this car has me thinking I need to be more open minded. It is placid if that’s what you want or a monster that terrorizes it’s surroundings when you’re in that mood. Believe it or not, the TTS makes the M5 feel slow. Yes. Slow. Your brain and stomach can’t keep up with the Turbo S. Sometimes even though I’m pushing the accelerator and know what’s coming, my brain cannot comprehend what follows. I’ve tracked many Porsches and currently track a prepped 991.2 GT3. While that car is raw and visceral, it does not prepare you for what the Turbo S can do with speed. And the all wheel drive pulls you out of turns like nothing else.

My M5 was amazing. Really amazing all around, especially the way I set it up. But this 992 Turbo S made me it’s bitch, what a car. Plus it is stunning.

For some of the others, I have always loved Porsche. Since I’m a little kid. I climbed the ladder many of you reference above, the Turbo S is my 8th Porsche. I thought the GT3 was my pinnacle car. That car is amazing and I’m so fortunate to have it. Gratitude as far as you can see. All the posters on my childhood walls were of 911s, many of Turbos. When this car got announced I considered doing the irresponsible. When the opportunity came, I jumped and man am I so happy that I did. It’s like a GT2RS wrapped in velvet…

Excuse the ramble, I hope there is some value buried in here. Feel free to ask specifics and I will avoid the ridiculous narrative and just address your ask.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:29 AM
PorscheSince2013
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 148 Posts

I'm almost to 2000 miles. It's an extraordinary car. I am still learning, and appreciating it more. I will probably be intimately familiar with it between 3000-5000 miles. I don't know how people can think they know this car in a brief time. It's spooky fast. To me, without a doubt, the ultimate DD.
The following 2 users liked this post by PorscheSince2013:
motown (08-18-2021), NOSUB2T (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 11:47 AM
BTN1
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great post. I am same way. I get my 2021 911 Turbo S next Tuesday. I just got a 2021 Taycan Turbo S last month and am sitting last night thinking do I even want to put miles on the 911 and if not, why am I even getting it? For something that costs nearly 300k, its expensive to just let sit there...But feel strangely same way. I guess I an re-evaluate in 1-2 months especially if market stays hot and 2022 gets delays or reduce allocations....
Old 08-18-2021, 12:45 PM
Rflichman
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have owned Porsche products for over forty years, ranging from the 924 to the 911 TT.

The 944 and the 968 were some of my favorite, they were also well within my budget.

My first 911 was a major milestone for me and there was no turning back. After owning a 996 C4, 996 TT and 997 TT,

I was ready, both financially and emotionally for the 992 TTS.

I have driven 1700 miles and have enjoyed each and everyone of them.

I’m Porsche for life, my new 992TTS. was not only a dream come true for me, it was a destination!

So yes, it was worth the extra money to me, although I loved my Twin Turbo, it still wasn’t a TTS.

Best of luck.
The following users liked this post:
Mech33 (08-20-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 01:14 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 436 Posts

Interesting, vulnerable thread. I'm in a similar boat. I can afford the new one, but I absolutely love my 2012 and I constantly wonder why I'm going to spend about $171k (including taxes and PPF) plus my car to get a newer one. How could it be THAT much better, there's no way, right? My car is absolutely perfect for me though I'd like to have a glass sunroof, newer nav, and a back up camera (and surround view). I don't need it though. If I couldn't get the new car, I'd still be in 911 heaven. I don't need to go that fast. My car is so fast it's ridiculous. Yet... something draws me to this new car. My friends think it's too big, and doesn't look as good as my tiny little, cute current car.

Ha, it is a hard decision for sure. But... boredom leads to some crazy decisions in life. I only go around once and I'm 60 now. I just thought, since I'm single, it's time. Then I think, I could keep my car instead and buy the Polar Edition 2014 Jeep Wrangler for the winter since I no way to get around in the snow we get 7 days a year but that's just stupid.

Then I think, I could redecorate my whole house for amount of money but... I'm single, who cares? It's nice enough though the bathrooms are a bit dated (from 2003).

But I keep coming back to the new car. It must be a sign.
The following 3 users liked this post by Steve 96C4S:
alaris (05-17-2024), heshalosny (08-22-2021), typehxr1 (12-04-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 01:19 PM
motown
Racer

Received 264 Likes on 96 Posts

I will say as a poster said above... it is spooky fast but that is what makes it so incredible. I have yet to be able to test it laterally and not sure where I would be able to. I also think it is a perfect daily driver. Shocking how much I love it after 6 months and close to 2k miles. Zero buyers regret. Did I say it was fast?
The following 2 users liked this post by motown:
AlexCeres (08-19-2021), ScottTurbo (08-19-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 02:31 PM
Licensed2bill
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 9 Posts

I just replaced my 992 C4S with a 992 TTS that now has about 500 miles on it. I bought my C4S last March and put 6,500 miles on it before I traded it towards my TTS allocation, which I picked up last week. I don't regret it for a minute. I drove both cars on a track and they are quite different in my opinion. The C4S was a great car and far more then you will ever need on regular roads. Mine had rear wheel steer, sports chrono, etc. so it was as performed based as a non-Turbo could be. But the TTS is Porsche's pinnacle of turbo-charged 911 engineering. It's their halo car and the state-of-the-art technology. I find the TTS very compliant and controllable as a DD in normal mode but when you need the power it has absurd amounts. But for me the looks, and the exclusivity of the TTS make it a more "special" car to me. Frankly any modern 911 you buy is massively underutilized on normal roads so I might as well have the best-of the best. But I get far more kudos, thumbs ups, and people asking about my TTS then I did with my C4S.
Old 08-18-2021, 02:38 PM
ER911S
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 133 Posts

I love the car and it was better than expected from every aspect (speed, power, quality, aural note. my last Porsche was a 997 S 6 speed). I do however debate that I could have bought a Plaid and a dedicated Cayman GT4 for the same price. Do what your hear tells you.
As long as you do not pay above MRSP, you can always sell it and probably come out without much of a financial impact.
14turbo S (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 02:39 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rflichman
I have owned Porsche products for over forty years, ranging from the 924 to the 911 TT.

The 944 and the 968 were some of my favorite, they were also well within my budget.

My first 911 was a major milestone for me and there was no turning back. After owning a 996 C4, 996 TT and 997 TT,

I was ready, both financially and emotionally for the 992 TTS.

I have driven 1700 miles and have enjoyed each and everyone of them.

I’m Porsche for life, my new 992TTS. was not only a dream come true for me, it was a destination!

So yes, it was worth the extra money to me, although I loved my Twin Turbo, it still wasn’t a TTS.

Best of luck.
Thanks. I think you touch on part of my reluctance that wasn't obvious to me. For you, getting to your 992 TTS was a journey. Over decades you've worked your way up the Porsche hierarchy. It feels like that's how you "should" do it, to derive maximum enjoyment and appreciation. My situation is a bit different. I'm in my mid-30s, and my first Porsche was the 992 C4S I bought a few weeks ago (which didn't turn out as I expected due to a miscommunication between me and the SA). Buying a TTS is a rounding error on my personal balance sheet though my wife and I keep ourselves on a strict "toys" budget so as to not lose touch with reality, hence the trade-off. I don't know... it just feels like I don't "deserve" this car yet. Like I need to work my way up the totem pole more. I have no doubt the insane power would be fun, but the lack of the MT is a tough pill to swallow.
stetty (08-19-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 02:51 PM
Salj
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 53 Posts

I had my '21 TTS for 6 months and sold it yesterday with 1,400 miles of driving.

Why?
1. Never made an emotional connection with the car (came from GT3's and .2 RS). It is not a very engaging drive, IMO
2 .It is spectacularly fast with robust sound but feels heavy with respect to handling.
3. It had some issues that I never had on other new Porsches--Repeated CELs for catalysts and twice it stranded me (defective coolant hose & dead battery w/o identifying cause).
4. Not much "sense of occasion" when driving--not very differentiated from current and recent 911's.
5. I was able to sell above MSRP easily.
michaeldorian (08-19-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 03:08 PM
SLATETT
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 92 Posts

Hey ..love this thread ..I traded in my ‘16 Turbo Cab for a ‘21 Turbo Cab S .. all I can say - is NO regrets .. make me smile every tim .. my regret was not getting a coupe. But if any of you have the needs to back out. . Let me know and send me the spec.
Old 08-18-2021, 03:30 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

The ability to get out above MSRP if I don’t bond with the car is appealing. But who knows how much longer that will last. Just the other day I saw a thread where a guy traded his TTS for MSRP + $1 and lost sales tax (which ain’t chump change).
Old 08-18-2021, 03:37 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 518 Posts

Not to hijack the thread... mine is arriving in November. I'm currently driving a F90 M5. I still haven't driven the 992TTS. Anyone drive both the M5 and TTS? I would love to know how much faster the TTS feels as compared to the M5. I know handling is going to be in a different league.
Old 08-18-2021, 03:42 PM
BTN1
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to ask others their same thoughts about spped/acceleration/handling between '21 992TTS vs '21 Taycan Turbo S..

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Old 08-18-2021, 04:07 PM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 211 Posts

I had a F90 M5 and I own a 992 TTS. If you need the back doors for kids to get in/out of the answer is easy. Otherwise, the 992 TTS is better in every performance category, even in speed. I have not missed the M5 one bit.

I currently also own a Taycan Turbo S and the Taycan "feels" faster at low speeds, but it's probably not. 992 TTS feels faster at higher speeds and the 922 handles much better. I only drive the Taycan for family road trips.

Last edited by riotgear; 08-18-2021 at 04:32 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by riotgear:
AlexCeres (08-19-2021), BTN1 (08-18-2021), Flowmacks (08-22-2021), mashoutposse (04-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Cold feet -- Anyone regret their TT/S?