Sponsored by:

K&N air intake kit and claning the engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 03:23 PM
stefan063
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default K&N air intake kit and claning the engine

I wanted to share with you guys what I did to my Porsche Cayenne Turbo S. I have installed K&N air intake kit (not panels) to my TTS. Sound is like thunder now. Also did full engine cleaning. While I took off air mass flow sensors I cleaned them also. It took me nearly 3hrs to do it all but at last everything is done (for now ). I need to put out part of old stock boxes out when I remove front bumper and also will do inter-cooler wash. As for air suspension intake I will put some cotton on top of it and put a little oil there and secure it with stock green locker. Also I am planing to De-Cat 2nd row of cats and put high flow rear muffler. And after all modifications I will chip tune it.
Attached Images      
Old 10-07-2017, 03:58 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 107 Posts

Are the old stock boxes you mentioned housings for the filters?
As it is, all you're doing is sucking in hot engine compartment air and probably losing HP.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:19 PM
stefan063
Racer

Originally Posted by 19psi
Are the old stock boxes you mentioned housings for the filters?
As it is, all you're doing is sucking in hot engine compartment air and probably losing HP.
No they are not. I will remove boxes on Monday and buy two more L-shape diffusor so that air is directed toward filters.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:10 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

There are other problems with the K&N filters. One is - they don't actually filter well. Another is the oil from them tends to downstream and migrate to the MAF sensors - causing them to die.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

I realize it's your vehicle, and your money - but it could be better spent elsewhere. The stock filters are HUGE for the size of the engine, and the intakes to the stock airboxes are also huge and out where engine heat doesn't get pumped into them.

IMHO - I've yet to see back to back dyno runs showing an increase in performance by installing a K&N filter vs a reasonably engineered (large enough with large enough plumbing going to it and from it to the intake) stock filter. When I do - I'll reconsider my opinion - but until then - I wouldn't install a K&N, especially the cone type mounted close to the MAF's on a vehicle I own. YMMV..

Nice job on cleaning the engine compartment..
Old 10-08-2017, 04:52 AM
stefan063
Racer

Originally Posted by deilenberger
There are other problems with the K&N filters. One is - they don't actually filter well. Another is the oil from them tends to downstream and migrate to the MAF sensors - causing them to die.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

I realize it's your vehicle, and your money - but it could be better spent elsewhere. The stock filters are HUGE for the size of the engine, and the intakes to the stock airboxes are also huge and out where engine heat doesn't get pumped into them.

IMHO - I've yet to see back to back dyno runs showing an increase in performance by installing a K&N filter vs a reasonably engineered (large enough with large enough plumbing going to it and from it to the intake) stock filter. When I do - I'll reconsider my opinion - but until then - I wouldn't install a K&N, especially the cone type mounted close to the MAF's on a vehicle I own. YMMV..

Nice job on cleaning the engine compartment..
This is not the first K&N install for me. I have installed 7-8 times K&N kit on my cars. Never ever had problems with air flow sensors. Performance gain is noticeable as soon as you put foot on the gas pedal. Also I have tested few cars on dyno after K&N filter install. On Mercedes R-Class 350CDI it was 8HP gain right away,on Jaguar S-type 3.0V6 6HP,etc... Dyno is near my location and my friend is the owner. I think that people have misjudged K&N filter. They are GREAT for me and will continue to add them to my car setup in the future. After all modifications that I will make I will as I wrote chip tune my Cayenne and will let everyone knows about end results.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:33 AM
quickster2
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Unless you can reduce the IAT with those filters sitting so close to the engine you will reduce HP. I used to be a K & N advocate and would put their filter in everything even the Wife's Dodge Caliber R/T AWD LoL. I know longer use any K & N as the filtration is suspect and unless an engine is restricted by airflow (an engine is really an air machine) more airflow will not help. I know that for a GEN IV & V Viper using a K & N reduces power (this has been well documented) vs. stock. Same for my Honda CBX. Each to their own. I assume your intake howl is louder giving you more visceral feedback. I do believe K & N had a place many years ago but now all modern engines of the last many years have been optimized for performance and fuel economy.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:55 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

I agree that for a satock turbo application BMC panel filters are probably the best option. The factory air intake is a true cold air. No matter how you shroud the cone filters you are going to suck air from the engine compartment unless you plumb cold air to them or cut holes in the wheel well liners which could posibly cause problems with the mafs. At speed the well areas would actually be a low pressure zone and could cause some vortice's around the cones or actually try to suck air out of them which could be detrimental to MAF readings. On my build I am forced to go with this type of setup due to design and space consatraints. If I even end up keeping the mafs I will have to make sealed boxes for the cones and pipe cold air to them from the intercooler ducts. I am not sure if maf placement will have a negative effect on MAF readings and I have done what I can to rule out that possibility in keeping the air flow as laminar asa possible. Il find out very soon. I think a big problem with the K+N filters is people over oiling them. However I agree that there are other better filters out there and have chosen a dry cone with secondary socks. I have yet to find any lierature that suggest the AIT's come from the Maf's ,Map, or is calculated somehow by the ecu without a dedicated AIT sensor, as the cayenne does not have one. Maybe saomeone has some proof to answer this? I'm not worried about IAT's at pump gas boost level due to my compressors and intercooler being much much more efficient than stock. When the ecu is tuned for stock turbo they are reaally at thier limit and I would imagine the air coming out of the compressor is in the 350 range. Stock or even upgraded side mounts just cannot keep up with that.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:29 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

10 or less HP gain is hardly worth the expense and effort on a 5K lb Cayenne.

Safe chipping will do more for the S but not so much for a Turbo S.

Please post the before and after dyno results to prove this is incorrect.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:47 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,461 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Engine cleanup looks beautiful - nice job.

I'm interested in your dyno results as my Cayenne Turbo S is setup essentially like yours will be - Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes, HHR cai with K&N filters that have hydrophobic pre-filters on them, cargraphic performance muffler, but I also have the larger FVD intercoolers, IPD plenum, and EVOMS billet diverter valves.

The HHR kit is a little different than the K&N in that it locates the intake filters on the opposite side of a heat shield that separates it them from the engine compartment. It also includes a small filter for the air suspension compressor intake line.

I've run K&N filters on all of my vehicles since I first started driving 30 years ago and have never had to replace a MAF and my UOA reports don't show any increased silica in them vs those prior with the stock intakes installed. The secret to properly using k&n filters is after cleaning and oiling them, wrap a couple layers of paper towels around them and stuff paper towels inside and leave them for 24 hours. The towels will absorb all the excess oil which is what can contaminate the MAF.

Throttle response is much improved with an open intake, and with other mods further downstream, helps to take better advantage of them.
​​​​

Last edited by Petza914; 10-08-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:00 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

Your car, your money, your choice.

But...

Don't expect a whole lot of admiration or praise on here for that setup.

#1 - Porsche does intake air pretty well. Genuine "cold air", the intakes are put in a zone of higher pressure (not a true "ram air', but some increase), generous sized pipes and filters, all that. The engineering on the parts themselves might less than ideal (928 intake tubes for one), but the systems themselves work quite well. There are very few aftermarket intake setups that work better than factory, unless you are pulling in a lot more air than original.
Opening up the intake to the engine compartment isn't a real good idea. Losing the filtration for the air suspension isn't either.

#2 - K&N isn't very highly regarded around here. The filters aren't as clean as original, they don't flow as well and the the oil is believed to damage the MAF.
Far too many incidents to ignore it, no matter what K&N claims.
I've heard it said that if you oil the element with enough oil for it to filter well, the excess will blow down the intake and get all over the hot wire in the MAF, eventually destroying it. If you leave the filter dry enough that the oil doesn't get on the MAF, it doesn't filter very well.

You claim a 6 and 8 hp gain on a Jag and Merc, respectively. What kind of percentage is that?

I would suspect that any gain you feel is more "I put all this money and effort into it, it has to gain performance" than anything else.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:21 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

My former rallye mechanic indy guy did a true cold air intake on my build - custom made ducts from a really high pressure zone in front of the radiator and the filters are separated from the engine. He was fiddling with it for over a week back in 2013.

I have an EVOMS intake and bought it “just because” I was already doing it, mostly for sound.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:38 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

This are pics from when it was being fabricated. The airboxes are not completely sealed, there is a small outlet on top so air can flow a bit since I have a vented hood.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/htc2yn836h...ake1.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/otvjt1fbbl...ake2.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6s7qkm5co...ake3.jpeg?dl=0
Old 10-08-2017, 02:19 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,461 Likes on 4,117 Posts

You guys might be interested in the data gathered in this study by another Rennlist member in his 997.2. I'm not saying that this necessarily crosses over to the Cayenne platform, but the 997 has the same naysayers to the CAI mod, and it looks like there may actually be benefits compared to a stock airbox, at least at higher RPMs.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...surements.html
Old 10-08-2017, 02:30 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Default I would equate the Cayenne's intake more similiar to the 997.2

Pretty efficient being that it has the separated Left & Right bank individual intakes to the Turbos. Although the caveat I would say is that it would be nice to have flow numbers since the system is the same for the Cayenne S and for the Turbo (which obviously has the need to flow a fair amount more air than the 'S').
With that said I will also say I'm also a K&N non-advocate. I have seen the blackened MAF wires from oil burning onto the wire from oiled filters. The oil doesn't cause a big failure but it causes a slow degradation over time, usually without any codes until it gets real bad. There is a lot of info on this from the Audi/VW forums but I agree that many K&N users compound this by over oiling there filters. Properly oiled you probably wouldn't see much of a change in 100K miles. But I also doubt they flow any better than a good OEM Mann or Mahle filter, sure an open K&N is going to sound better with all of that intake noise at full throttle but I can live without it.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:01 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
This are pics from when it was being fabricated. The airboxes are not completely sealed, there is a small outlet on top so air can flow a bit since I have a vented hood.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/htc2yn836h...ake1.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/otvjt1fbbl...ake2.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6s7qkm5co...ake3.jpeg?dl=0

Love it!

Exactly what I am going to do for mine except I'm going to buy stainless cylindrical colanders? like for the kitchen, and put the filters inside with a removable lid and flex pipe the air to them from the intercooler ducts.

Quick Reply: K&N air intake kit and claning the engine