Sponsored by:

Buying a GT2 RS: My Unfortunate Dealings with Porsche of the Main Line

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 08:16 PM
gt-2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
This is a complex topic due to state-by-state (in the US) regulations on auto sales / dealerships. I, too, like the Tesla model of direct sales (though I’ve never bought a Tesla) in principle.

There just isn’t a really good justification anymore for auto dealerships as required middleman for new car sales, IMO. Auto manufacturers can and should open their own stores and service centers as Tesla is doing and as Apple and others have done in other industries. Auto dealerships should still exist in a different role: non-brand-specific used car sales and service (think CarMax for mass market, and boutique dealerships for highline sales).

But it will take major regulartory reform is many states to make this possible.

Like Apple, Porsche/VW/Audi can do a better job promoting its brand by running its own “dealerships” and selling direct to its customers. Customers shouldn’t have to be loyal to a dealership, but rather to a brand. The store location one buys their car at should be a matter of convenience, nothing more, and customers shouldn’t have to build a relationship with the owner or manager of a particular store at an arbitrary location. Imagine if to buy a certain hot toy at Christmas you had to build a relationship with the owner of a particular Target store to get an allocation.
Yes agreed when things are flowing well in a good economy auto manufacturers are super at selling their own items when none is really needed to move the product BUT when economy sucks and you actually must "sell" the product and negotiate things to move them they are the worlds worst and make painfully slow decisions that hurt long term ability to be consistent and product levels skyrocket to fast and carrying costs can kill a manufacturer in as little as a couple months! I am consistently amazed at how everyone thinks Tesla has the perfect sales model when they really haven't proven anything........service is yet to be seen when Model 3 hits at claimed production levels, they are a fad now and we'll see when people dont want them how good they are at moving them, when trade in's start coming at them at feverish pace they will begin competing against themselves certified vs new and there is only so much market to dominate for themselves, they haven't even started to begin yet, then you have Porsche and others going different direction on technology with regards to batteries vs tesla. Tesla hasn't proven anything and at current volume levels they look great.. if "great" is measured in bleeding cash flow and being in the red each quarter is a high bar to set!?
Old 10-04-2017, 08:58 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I never bought a Tesla, and never will (I hope), so cannot hope. Didn't buy their stock either, unfortunately. All my "non car" friends/acquaintances that bought Teslas never said a bad thing about their buying experience. People registered in their site for the Model X and are waiting for their Model 3. All they have to do is wait, not pay more. Of course, no iimbalance between supply and demand, but that was not the case initially. We should have some interesting times ahead in case the Mission E is priced to compete with the Tesla sedans. If dealers try to get greedy, at least initially, since I understand that Porsche will make plenty of those given that ecars are the future, Musk will have some good laughs. My sense is that when it boils down to cars that are built to save our planet, PCNA will be a lot more rigid. Messing up with environment conscious drivers has far more implications than messing up with a few loyal car enthusiasts.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:20 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
This is an easy one ****, but not pleasant.

Any good attorney will remedy your situation in court and very likely prevail unless you signed something that said you will pay over MSRP when you made your good faith agreement. Its unfortunate that they will loose their money, their time, their reputation, and attorney's fees.

I don't recall ever learning the exception to "always do the right thing" *unless there is a lot of money involved.

Say nothing else on line.

Yep this will be quick and easy to handle with a goo attorney and make sure they cover his fees and your time as well.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:20 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
the dealer holds the title so there are no games.

Dealer cannot legally hold on to the title. Its either the finance company or the state in case of a finance. If you pay cash for the car you'd be a fool for allowing someone else to hold the title.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:18 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheflat6
Yep this will be quick and easy to handle with a goo attorney and make sure they cover his fees and your time as well.
why do so many assume the OP would prevail in court? (Please don’t take this as a suggestion the dealer is right; sounds like he is a jerk....)

there isn’t enough information from the OP to conclude the dealer breached a contract. The OP didn’t say there was even a written contract for the purchase of the GT2RS. And verbal contracts are no good if either side disputes what was said.

It it certainly sounds like bad business, but in absence of a written contract being breached, it’s unreasonable to assume this is an easy case.

Disclaimer: I’m not an attorney, but I am a real estate broker and produced training videos for an attorney / professor friend of mine in which I had to sit through tens of hours of classes about contract law.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:14 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
why do so many assume the OP would prevail in court? (Please don’t take this as a suggestion the dealer is right; sounds like he is a jerk....)

there isn’t enough information from the OP to conclude the dealer breached a contract. The OP didn’t say there was even a written contract for the purchase of the GT2RS. And verbal contracts are no good if either side disputes what was said.

It it certainly sounds like bad business, but in absence of a written contract being breached, it’s unreasonable to assume this is an easy case.

Disclaimer: I’m not an attorney, but I am a real estate broker and produced training videos for an attorney / professor friend of mine in which I had to sit through tens of hours of classes about contract law.
^^ this......

in fact while the dealership sounds like they have taken advantage of the reasonable assumptions from OP and from a moral standpoint they are scumbags, it is highly likely that they have covered themselves legally with the paperwork that was signed when Ferrari was dropped off and/or deposit paperwork that was completed. You can always hire an attorney just for sport and start throwing letters and threats of lawsuit jabs for principle but it can get expensive with little beneficial outcome. Almost all buyer's orders or deposit docs give the dealer about 5000 ways out of specifically honoring a deal without a specific VIN number listed on contract and most dealers don't even fill out much other than deposit receipts with a description of what you are putting deposit down for with no price breakdown.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:43 PM
lfish
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 52 Posts

This topic makes me nauseous, and sad for the OP (well as sad as one can feel for someone with serious liquidity who got screwed in a car purchase). As a means of entertaining my fellow RLers please consider the following: After the GT3's introduction in Geneva I approached the general manager (Tim Brookhart) and Porsche sales manager (Rory McGregor) at my local store, White Allen Porsche in Dayton, OH. I was placed on a waiting list, number 4 in line for their meager allocation of two cars. I mailed in a deposit of $15k to show I was a serious buyer and stated I would only purchase the car at MSRP and with the manual transmission. Several months went by BEFORE THEY CASHED THE CHECK when they told me that the three other customers had changed their minds and that the allocation was mine. They were very pleased to have a local buyer who was also a serious Porsche enthusiast. I enjoyed the entire process from configuration to deciding on ATL PEC delivery (probably late November). Despite my numerous inquiries Rory was very patient (and very helpful with the configuration) and was fully committed to seeing me get my dream car at MSRP.

This morning I called Rory to discuss the timing of my delivery when he told me about a phone call he recently received from an agent of an NBA player who offered him a substantial ADM to allow this athlete to take my allocation. Rory, being British and a follower of European football, was not impressed with the athlete's name or the proposition and politely declined the offer. When the agent asked if he truly understood what was being offered, Rory told him that he was fluent in English and wondered why the agent seemed confused.

I am very pleased to do business with these folks, and will encourage my colleagues and friends to consider doing likewise.

In anticipation of your questions, No, I am not a VIP and have not purchased vehicles from them before except for my wife's 2012 Audi Q5. Yes the second allocation has been sold and will be delivered next summer/fall. And Yes there MAY be further cars available for 2019 delivery. To be sold at MSRP.

At the onset I approached Tim and Rory openly and honestly with my only expectation of being treated with honesty, professionalism, and respect. My expectations have been exceeded.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:56 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,039 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by lfish
This topic makes me nauseous, and sad for the OP (well as sad as one can feel for someone with serious liquidity who got screwed in a car purchase). As a means of entertaining my fellow RLers please consider the following: After the GT3's introduction in Geneva I approached the general manager (Tim Brookhart) and Porsche sales manager (Rory McGregor) at my local store, White Allen Porsche in Dayton, OH. I was placed on a waiting list, number 4 in line for their meager allocation of two cars. I mailed in a deposit of $15k to show I was a serious buyer and stated I would only purchase the car at MSRP and with the manual transmission. Several months went by BEFORE THEY CASHED THE CHECK when they told me that the three other customers had changed their minds and that the allocation was mine. They were very pleased to have a local buyer who was also a serious Porsche enthusiast. I enjoyed the entire process from configuration to deciding on ATL PEC delivery (probably late November). Despite my numerous inquiries Rory was very patient (and very helpful with the configuration) and was fully committed to seeing me get my dream car at MSRP.

This morning I called Rory to discuss the timing of my delivery when he told me about a phone call he recently received from an agent of an NBA player who offered him a substantial ADM to allow this athlete to take my allocation. Rory, being British and a follower of European football, was not impressed with the athlete's name or the proposition and politely declined the offer. When the agent asked if he truly understood what was being offered, Rory told him that he was fluent in English and wondered why the agent seemed confused.

I am very pleased to do business with these folks, and will encourage my colleagues and friends to consider doing likewise.

In anticipation of your questions, No, I am not a VIP and have not purchased vehicles from them before except for my wife's 2012 Audi Q5. Yes the second allocation has been sold and will be delivered next summer/fall. And Yes there MAY be further cars available for 2019 delivery. To be sold at MSRP.

At the onset I approached Tim and Rory openly and honestly with my only expectation of being treated with honesty, professionalism, and respect. My expectations have been exceeded.
Wow, that's really a good guy dealer right there. It's great to hear stories like this. I'm happy and fortunate that I have of 2 good guy dealers that I've worked with.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:00 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB

Dealer cannot legally hold on to the title. Its either the finance company or the state in case of a finance. If you pay cash for the car you'd be a fool for allowing someone else to hold the title.
Yes they can and they do - fact.

Could care less it's their rules if it bothered me I wouldn't buy it.

Dealers are punished lose incentives rebates advertising etc if the factory finds their car is exported via flipper etc.

Flip side is I have never paid ADM.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:13 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt
There are 1000's of customers out there.They do not need any ONE to survive.When will you folks quite thinking you are actually special to them??
Companies advertise promote hire quality people - building bridges they don't go around blowing them up.

Special - by that you mean a customer how dare someone.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:03 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I dont understand why more of the pissed off people don't hire a lawyer, if you can afford them car you can afford an attorney, so what if you don't win, its the principle. I think demanding a FROR from buyers is the way to go to stop the nonsense.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:23 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
I dont understand why more of the pissed off people don't hire a lawyer, if you can afford them car you can afford an attorney, so what if you don't win, its the principle. I think demanding a FROR from buyers is the way to go to stop the nonsense.

Probably because most people trust lawyers about as much as they trust dealers!
Old 10-05-2017, 08:12 AM
bretster
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612

Dealers are punished lose incentives rebates advertising etc if the factory finds their car is exported via flipper etc.
Flip side is I have never paid ADM.
I signed an agreement with my dealer that I would pay a penalty if my GT4 were exported within the first year. MSRP purchase.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:54 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

This has been beaten to death here as well as numerous other threads so I won't repeat what has been said

I will say this....While I agree this totally sucks for the OP my first question is did he get this in writing?....not to sound like an as*(&%$ but there is no way in hell given today's ADM environment I would pretrade a car for any GT car without something clearly written from the GM of a dealer on what the new car is going to cost.....

Telling the dealer you won't pay over sticker and them telling you they will charge you sticker means absolutely nothing.....zilch....anytime money changes hands for something, whether it be a $300,000 car or a few hundred for something little there needs to be some sort of written contract detailing the transaction or future transaction.....period
Old 10-05-2017, 09:59 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Probably because most people trust lawyers about as much as they trust dealers!
LOL. Trying to choose between dealers and attorneys kills all the joy.

Quick Reply: Buying a GT2 RS: My Unfortunate Dealings with Porsche of the Main Line