Sponsored by:

Buying a GT2 RS: My Unfortunate Dealings with Porsche of the Main Line

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 12:45 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
It has nothing common with free market. On free market traders behave.
Now imagine it's one week to delivery date of your GT2 and the sales person after you arrive to the dealer says sorry buddy but yesterday one folk turned up and offered me 1000usd to sell it to him. I said why not!
If there is not a sales contract in place for actual price then the dealer is free to do that. If your house is for sale and you have taken a deposit from your neighbor to sell it but with no binding contract and I show up with $250k more than your original ask to your neighbor you won't sell it to me?

If no, I am sure you are in the minority. What people say on the forum and do in real life are not the same.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:52 AM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Porsche of the Main Line graded by their customers (except for one) and BBB:

1) Better Business Bureau: A+

2) Yelp: 4.5 out of 5 stars

3) Cars.com : 5 out of 5 stars

4) Dealerrater : 5 out of 5 stars

5) Facebook 4.6 out of 5 stars

6) CARGURUS: 4.5 out of 5 stars

And so on.
Grade average: 94.4% (I wish I'd have got that in college!)
Pretty impressive, I think.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:11 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman

And so on.
Do you work for them? Lol

Anyways, Why get a lawyer to buy a car? Really?
I suggest talking to the GM, getting your money back, spread the word of the way you were handled, and move on.
Be patient you'll probably be able to buy one later and if not buy something else.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:13 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd
Unfortunately, most people on this board forget that it is a free market economy. I don't like what's happening, but there are people that will pay the adm.

This is no different than the watch/housing/art market, everything will correct at some point.
Of course, but you're wasting your time explaining the basics to the folks here on the GT3 forum. We are drowning in economics and business professors here.

And Sean, very sorry to hear mainline Porsche treated you so poorly. This happened to me before and I pulled my business. Although, in my case, there was no trade or issue of the dealership holding six figures of my money for a year, so your situation is far more egregious. I hope you get your 2RS, and for MSRP.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:57 AM
Homsy94
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And so on.
Yea maybe they HAD high ratings but they did the same thing to me for the .2 GT3 and now I'm left allocationless. They just decided it was ok to bump me down the list and then they told me "well if someone drops we'll see but it'll be at "market adjustment". Actually, just look for a new dealer". I still haven't gotten my deposit back from them
Old 10-06-2017, 03:07 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If there is not a sales contract in place for actual price then the dealer is free to do that. If your house is for sale and you have taken a deposit from your neighbor to sell it but with no binding contract and I show up with $250k more than your original ask to your neighbor you won't sell it to me?

If no, I am sure you are in the minority. What people say on the forum and do in real life are not the same.
Agree on the lack of paper contract but the mutual agreement is for some gentlemen as important as the paper one even it's not legally binding. That is building relations that in future always pay back.
Now if my neighbour paid me a deposit of 400kUSD two years in advance and you show up offering 250k more for the house I would probably say it's not for sale anymore. If however trying to get more $$$ from the sale I would discuss it with my neighbour offering compensation so everyone is happy at the end. You can handle different issues different way and not always be a crook or a douche.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:08 AM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And so on.

That's awesome now go buy a Gt car from them and pay X over sticker. I will go buy the same car from another dealer. Whom I have not bought a car from in the past, they may not have as good ratings as main line on the various websites but we had a gentlemans agreement about a Gt car. I never gave a deposit until it was confirmed, my car will show up in a few weeks n I will pay msrp. Which one would an educated consumer rather do business with?

Glad you have great ratings and think they are impressive that must dissuade any ill feelings of paying a premium for the identical item.
main line they are lucky to have you as a loyal customer or employee or both ,maybe if your college GPA was a 94.4 , you would be conducting business elsewhere.
I will take my savings to add some nice goodies ! Which my not as good rated dealer will happily do fo me

Last edited by Ddesimone17; 10-06-2017 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:17 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

A deposit on a house for sale is 100% binding - you received something of value.

A seller can not make a buyer buy a buyer 100% can make a seller sell. The deposit reflected a contract something of value was transacted. As long as you discussed a sale price and accepted deposit it is a contract. If it turns into a he said she said he who placed the deposit will win in this case there is MSRP which is only what the dealer is entitled to as the dealer took no risk vs if the dealer specified took delivery and placed it in inventory etc.

If you sold your house for 250k after entering a contract in good faith with me - you would be in a ton of hot water As you state your house was for sale the only way to sell something and take a deposit there would have been a published or discussed price. Best case for you even if there is no price which would be highly unlikely the buyer could order an appraisal and hold you accountable to sell at that price - fair market but again that's highly unlikely as you took a deposit based on some agreed or published value.

Sellers are allowed to market after taking a deposit - allowing for a back up contract the only trigger to enact that contract is the original buyer fails to perform. In this case buyer was 100% capable of performing so the dealer is acting in bad faith ethics and the buyer relied on the dealer to his detriment - detrimental reliance which is subject to punitive as is the dealer buying the Ferrari below market it would appear that there are real damages -again I would not suggest pursuing the dealer but I am not in his shoes nor your neighbor

Last edited by nuvolari612; 10-06-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:47 AM
DBC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LastMezger
Get a McLaren 720S.
This^^^^^^

It doesn't seem possible to buy a new GT car from Porsche anymore without having to take a shower afterwards.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:49 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 247 Likes on 145 Posts

OP, take $5k.. hire a social media marketing firm.. have them blast your story across every platform.. get word out.. This type of gorilla campaign can bring a tonne of attention to their practices..

Channel your inner USCTrojan..
Old 10-06-2017, 10:13 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

What a sad blight on this dealer and the Porsche brand again as this balloon gets out of control.

It may be contractually right, or just free market reflective, but ultimately it appears the dealers greed has over ridden what most would consider decent or aligned to some sort of moral compass.

Remember the days when you were good as your word ?

Remember the days when people didn't walk around thinking it was their right to take advantage of someone else if the opportunity presented itself?

A brand is not just made up of a logo and its car, its the people who drive them, the people that sell and service them, the culture and its market perception/ associations. Actions like this in my opinion are a smear on the brand and its attractiveness.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:44 AM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldmxnut
What a sad blight on this dealer and the Porsche brand again as this balloon gets out of control.

It may be contractually right, or just free market reflective, but ultimately it appears the dealers greed has over ridden what most would consider decent or aligned to some sort of moral compass.

Remember the days when you were good as your word ?

Remember the days when people didn't walk around thinking it was their right to take advantage of someone else if the opportunity presented itself?

A brand is not just made up of a logo and its car, its the people who drive them, the people that sell and service them, the culture and its market perception/ associations. Actions like this in my opinion are a smear on the brand and its attractiveness.
Well said !
Old 10-06-2017, 10:56 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 247 Likes on 145 Posts

^+2
Old 10-06-2017, 11:00 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

For as many “bad dealers” out there, there are 10x more “bad buyers” looking to buy and flip a car and take advantage of the market.

I can understand dealers playing defense against these parasites. How many dealers have sold cars at MSRP to have this “enthusiast” turn around and flip it the next week?? How pissed would be if you were a dealer and someone was flipping your sale the next week for big $$$$?? It’s happened way too many times.

Dealers always sell at “market value” with all other models which 99% of the time is under MSRP. They’d like to sell at MSRP, but the market isn’t buying at that price. Sometimes the market is over MSRP. Isn’t that fair? Use the MSRP argument for a GT car but doesn’t apply the same way for a Cayenne purchase?

How many “delivery mile” cars do you see for sale on RL here and online??

The issue here is two fold. Unfortunately the legit prospective buyer is the one that gets the short end of the stick many times.

There’s not “one size fits all” solution here.

It’s merely a supply issue. Limited supply which is under demand is fueling this. Who controls supply?? Complain to PAG and PCNA.

Same guys who want to buy at MSRP are wanting low deprecation and supply too. Can’t have it all guys.

Last edited by STG; 10-06-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:23 AM
NJRickD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
This is a complex topic due to state-by-state (in the US) regulations on auto sales / dealerships. I, too, like the Tesla model of direct sales (though I’ve never bought a Tesla) in principle.

There just isn’t a really good justification anymore for auto dealerships as required middleman for new car sales, IMO. Auto manufacturers can and should open their own stores and service centers as Tesla is doing and as Apple and others have done in other industries. Auto dealerships should still exist in a different role: non-brand-specific used car sales and service (think CarMax for mass market, and boutique dealerships for highline sales).

But it will take major regulartory reform is many states to make this possible.

Like Apple, Porsche/VW/Audi can do a better job promoting its brand by running its own “dealerships” and selling direct to its customers. Customers shouldn’t have to be loyal to a dealership, but rather to a brand. The store location one buys their car at should be a matter of convenience, nothing more, and customers shouldn’t have to build a relationship with the owner or manager of a particular store at an arbitrary location. Imagine if to buy a certain hot toy at Christmas you had to build a relationship with the owner of a particular Target store to get an allocation.
and there is a huge lobby with a giant war chest that will fight that every step of the way

Quick Reply: Buying a GT2 RS: My Unfortunate Dealings with Porsche of the Main Line