Sponsored by:

Buying a GT2 RS: My Unfortunate Dealings with Porsche of the Main Line

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 04:48 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Are the "good" dealers the ones that give away these (sometimes very valuable) long-term call options for free?
Yes

Are the "bad" dealers the ones that don't give them out at all and simply ask market prices (the highest bid) for their cars on the day of the sale?
Yes

Is a "good" customer the one that demands to be given these valuable long-term call options from many dealers and on many future models for free (i.e. for a refundable $1k deposit each)?
Yes
Old 10-08-2017, 05:25 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,282 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertR1
Integrity is remembered the most during the valleys of economics cycles....

Bingo.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:37 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

- - - - - - -

Last edited by FORENN; 10-22-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:57 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
No offense, here; but let's be honest. You haven't a clue about what was said between the dealer and the OP.

All you have is what everybody else has: the OP's side of the story.

That alone seems to be enough, for some, to justify impugning the integrity of the dealership.That picture looks awfully one sided.

And, since you brought up the law, I seem to recall in front of some courthouses, there is a statue of a blindfolded woman holding a scale. The scale has two sides for a reason.
When someone says no offense they mean to be offensive and then deflect - Bravo!

So go ahead and offend - you must know something. Usually by now a 918 or VIP pops in to tell everyone it's not Porsche's fault it's those lousy dealers when Porsche could easily add a GT2RS buyers guide to their site or even better throw out allocations to dealers as they stated it's not limited. Tell me why Porsche states one thing but their dealers state and act differently would love to know and given your post you seem to know everything
Old 10-08-2017, 09:53 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Once you leave Porsche you realize how much crap you have been dealing with. Irony for me is as a new potential customer to Ferrari I can get a 488 GTB in the Spring, 488 Spider in 12 months and a 812 in 24 to 30 months. No games - just need to place my deposit and wait. Going in Monday to test drive a 488, 488 Spider and F12 to decide which way to go.
You're not exactly comparing like for like though. If you wanted a GTS or turbo s it wouldn't be an issue. That's the same as getting a 488 or F12. Try getting a TDF or the 488 speciale and compare that to the GT cars....

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Mclaren for the P15 and BP23 is currently overall demand minus 50% = actual builds.
Unfortunately Mclaren builds for the 720 are probably overall demand plus 20%.....
Old 10-08-2017, 10:36 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,101 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Tell me why Porsche states one thing but their dealers state and act differently would love to know and given your post you seem to know everything
Yes, I would love to know why that is the case myself. Either Porsche is full of crap OR the dealers are playing a shell game with buyers. Either way, it's annoying and just pissing real buyers off.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:35 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Yes, I would love to know why that is the case myself. Either Porsche is full of crap OR the dealers are playing a shell game with buyers. Either way, it's annoying and just pissing real buyers off.
My GT3 order was a "Special Project" inside PAG due to the level of CXX options, primarily LTS driving it. They only have a certain number of them a year due to the special handling.

I emailed PCNA to tell them why I was cancelling the order (as well as my other order). I would say there is a 99% chance that nothing at all comes of it, but I'll report back if they do reach out to me. Even if they offer me a GT2 RS I'm still out.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:01 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 182 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
My GT3 order was a "Special Project" inside PAG due to the level of CXX options, primarily LTS driving it. They only have a certain number of them a year due to the special handling.

I emailed PCNA to tell them why I was cancelling the order (as well as my other order). I would say there is a 99% chance that nothing at all comes of it, but I'll report back if they do reach out to me. Even if they offer me a GT2 RS I'm still out.
Was this your first disappointment with the brand? It's seems odd that you would bail even if they try and reach out to you to correct the situation.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:02 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,394 Likes on 640 Posts

ISV- mclaren is only building 720’s to customer demand-

I have a 20k deposit list in az 28 deep after delivering 7 cars so far. I get 2-4 cars Per month and cannot just float them for fake customers like some P car dealers.

The 570S/ GT is a lot more of the “here: spec it and find a buyer” and the spider we have a waiting list for.

The earlier guy asked why so few P15/BP23...

They made 375 normal P1’s. How many P15’s should they build? They are bringing 500 to gestation. 120ish to usa. The BP23 is only 106 cars. Initially I was told 64...but some guys were earlier on the project and had agreed to pay way more to keep it more exclusive.

The McLaren and Ferrari rabbit holes are a lot deeper than you guys realize but mostly because there are a couple thousand cars per year total being built. If you imagine that McLaren builds less total cars annually then Porsche made GT3RS (3600 total vs 4500?)

There are less dealers, less “halo” cars (Cam debate that the 911 Turbo AND GT3 AND GT3RS are all Halo cars for porsche relative to cayenne and Macan and boxsters)

So- they make less Hypercars than Ferrari does.

499+ FXXK
375+ GTR

Mclaren and Ferrari also make limited in between Hypercar like the 675 and TDF and speciale

500 coupes
500 spiders
1000 speciale (??)
499 speciale aperta (??)
800 TDF

I think the real magic number is 750- as there are enough guys worldwide that can afford to absorb the cool cars made/ paid for in 2017

100 Bugatti’s
30 Koenigsegg
40 paganis
400 GT2RS
750 720’s
400 TDFs
600 SV’s
300 performante

Obviously they will make 500 chitons, 4000 720’s, etc just saying what I would estimate 2017’s to be on the ground paid for.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:23 AM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertR1
Integrity is remembered the most during the valleys of economics cycles....

To be fair.....It's hard for me to imagine many guys on this forum going to the dealership willing to pay MSRP for a car during an economic downturn. They would leverage that position as much as possible.

There's something about buying a car that makes all guys feel like it's a challenge to their manhood...they have to negotiate the best deal possible. I know guys that spend 500 dollars on a bottle of wine at dinner..no problem....but they haggle over 10 dollars a month on their lease payment!
Old 10-09-2017, 06:28 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ak432
To be fair.....It's hard for me to imagine many guys on this forum going to the dealership willing to pay MSRP for a car during an economic downturn. They would leverage that position as much as possible.

There's something about buying a car that makes all guys feel like it's a challenge to their manhood...they have to negotiate the best deal possible. I know guys that spend 500 dollars on a bottle of wine at dinner..no problem....but they haggle over 10 dollars a month on their lease payment!
I mean more from the sense that when times are tough and people are asking you for money, you'll deal with those who did right by you than those who left a bad taste in your mouth when they were in a position of power.

Listen if a dealer wants to charge 250k+ on a car, more power to them. Just be transparent with your customer and don't flip.

I get what you're saying but personally, I've always kept my transactions simple. I come up with a fair price and see if the other side is accepting. If they are, let's get it done. I don't know how people get off spending a whole day a dealership arguing over $10, as you said..
Old 10-09-2017, 07:22 AM
JCO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don`t understand what is happening i US!
In Europe the we all buy the GT2 RS directly from PAG at MSRP and the dealers has a fixed cut of that from PAG.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:02 AM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
I heard the NYT was failing, plus Ive heard there were untrue stories in it, That price is way too high for what you need, Im sure an ad in Autoweek would be much much cheaper. I might even threaten to buy a billboard or 2 at Rennsport reunion or Austin, can you imagine the bang for your buck much cheaper a few thousand can be devastating, ever hear about assymetrical warfare? I rent out a billboard by an interstate, I only get a few k a year for it

lololzzzz
He heard the nyt was failing
PLUS "Ive heard there were untrue stories in it"
That price is way too high for what you need,

I might even threaten to buy a billboard or 2 at Rennsport reunion or Austin, can you imagine the bang for your buck much cheaper a few thousand can be devastating, ever hear about assymetrical warfare? I rent out a billboard by an interstate, I only get a few k a year for it

So you gonna man up and buy a billboard or 2 or just be a straight up loud mouth **** Cuck ???
Old 10-09-2017, 03:35 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 207 Likes on 105 Posts

I think that there is a disconnect between Porsche, the Porshalphile, and the general market's desires.

The bottom line is that the RS is a super car. Porsche made a street drivable track car. They made this car for the enthusiast.

The 'problem' is that it is also very 'desirable' and thus people that can afford a supercar have no problem paying significantly over MRSP, as it is still relatively 'cheap'. Thus dealers look at it as an opportunity. The free market dictates the price. I disagree with that, as an enthusiast, but I understand it. I suspect that the OP will get his car, at MRSP, but he may have to wait some more? I think the dealer clearly mishandled the situation and should come to a 'understanding' with the OP that will be mutually acceptable.

This car has been known to be coming out for the last couple of years. Dealers have been accumulating potential buyers, so it would have been easy for Porsche to know how many people want the car. Why can't they overproduce the initial run, and launch them simultaneously? Everyone that wants them immediately would get one, flippers would not have a big enough market all of a sudden, as buyers would be getting their car at MRSP. Dealers would then not have any need to make 'market adjustments'.

I do not know how they make these cars, and how difficult it is, but (to me at least) it would seem to be more efficient to make 1000-1500 at the same time? Win win for everyone?
Old 10-09-2017, 07:35 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon9898
[/B]
lololzzzz
He heard the nyt was failing
PLUS "Ive heard there were untrue stories in it"
That price is way too high for what you need,

I might even threaten to buy a billboard or 2 at Rennsport reunion or Austin, can you imagine the bang for your buck much cheaper a few thousand can be devastating, ever hear about assymetrical warfare? I rent out a billboard by an interstate, I only get a few k a year for it

So you gonna man up and buy a billboard or 2 or just be a straight up loud mouth **** Cuck ???
listen you don't even know me and I don't appreciate you calling me a cuck, you want to keep pushing? secondly these are ideas, it didn't happen to me, but believe me if it did, I would take action, just keep pushing

Quick Reply: Buying a GT2 RS: My Unfortunate Dealings with Porsche of the Main Line