997.1 C2S with Bose complete Focal Speaker Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 11:42 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,602 Likes on 4,198 Posts
Default 997.1 C2S with Bose complete Focal Speaker Upgrade

Over the past few days (using the "budget audio upgrade" thread from 6speed - https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4661890) I completed an audio upgrade in my 997 RUF R-Kompressor and the sound is so much cleaner and better balanced.

I wanted to preserve the original PCM for the OEM interior look, because I already ave BT capability installed via a Gateway 500, and to preserve the full functionality of my multi-function steering wheel controls.

What I installed were:
  • 2 x IS 200 - 8" Woofers with tweeters
  • 4 x IC 100 - 4" Co-Axial speaker set with positionable center tweete
  • 3 x TIS 1.5 tweeters for top of dashboard, including center speaker
  • 2 Focal Utopia Be WS 13 5.25" subs driven by an Alpine KTP-190U Mono Amp

The complete install details can be found in the attached PDF, but here are some teaser photos.

Sub Amp

Sub Amp

Sealed Speaker Mount Adapter

Focal Sub Speaker installed

Subwoofer Enclosure Ready for Reassembly I Install

Alpine RUX-2 **** for Remote Bass control

Rear Speaker Custom Plate

Rear Speaker Installed before Grille

Rear Speaker Completed

Modification of OEM speaker mount

Speaker Baffle

Speaker installed into mount with baffle

Assembled and Ready to go back into car

Front 8" Door Speaker Installed

4" Coax Door Speaker Installed

Isolation mat behind 4" door speaker - prevents potential vibration against metal inner door panel

Dash top Side Tweeter stripped, wrapped, and ready for install

Side Dash Tweeter Installed

Center speaker rig

Center Speaker Installed
Attached Images
The following users liked this post:
415 (09-27-2022)
Old 09-01-2017, 12:38 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 383 Likes on 248 Posts

Very nice. Saw your contribution on 6speed. I did the same upgrade except for different subs. Major improvement. Seems like it definitely improved the low end from the door subs.

Great cheap upgrade. Easy to do as well. Think it cost maybe $400 for the speakers and parts plus 3 hours of your time or so to install the speakers.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:47 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,568 Likes on 942 Posts

Nice! Great attention to detail.....

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-01-2017, 01:55 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys.

My choice of subs changes the price point of what I did here vs Kellen's comment, but it's hard to get good deep bass out of such small 5.25" speakers and I found the pair I installed used on eBay for about 60% of new so spent the little extra to make it as tight as possible.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:46 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Just looked at your PDF. Very detailed! You did an amazing job.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:15 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kellen
Just looked at your PDF. Very detailed! You did an amazing job.
Thanks
Old 09-01-2017, 08:01 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Wow Pete that's the way to go for those rear subwoofers! I want to do that now. I've done most of the focal speaker upgrade of ryem on 6 except for the subwoofers at the back. Most mono class d mono amps are strong and compact and would easily fit inside that box.
How is the sound coming from the rear box now, with the focal be's and amp?
The signal going into the box going to the Oem amp for the sub, are they llow voltage line outs or are they speaker level outs?
Applause to your detailed sharing of the whole process..
Old 09-01-2017, 09:27 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slicky rick
Wow Pete that's the way to go for those rear subwoofers! I want to do that now. I've done most of the focal speaker upgrade of ryem on 6 except for the subwoofers at the back. Most mono class d mono amps are strong and compact and would easily fit inside that box.
How is the sound coming from the rear box now, with the focal be's and amp?
The signal going into the box going to the Oem amp for the sub, are they llow voltage line outs or are they speaker level outs?
Applause to your detailed sharing of the whole process..
Sound is what I'd say a perfect complement. With the Bass level in the PCM turned all the way to +9 and the ability to dial back the sub contribution with the RUX ****, it can be adjusted on the fly to be just right. Some music you max out the **** setting and other times, I have it set at about 2/3rds. I was afraid with the small amp it might be weak since the sensitivity rating on those subs is pretty low, but I'm happy with the result. If you love car shaking bass that the car next to you can feel - you won't get that.

There is a small Bose amp integrated into the subwoofer box already - I just replaced it with a slightly more powerful one that also had adjustment capability, so the signal going into the box and the connector is low voltage line outs. This is different than the signal going into the front amp which are over the MOST connection so I didn't mess with the front amp setup.

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:30 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick question for you since your install of the front door 8" drivers is a bit different than others have reported. I just want to confirm your method here as I will install IS 200s in my front door this weekend.

Most people seem to mount the new 8" speaker to a 3/4" trim ring in order to get enough clearance. It appears that by cutting out the factory speaker basket, you can avoid adding a trim ring and mount directly to the factory plastic speaker mount. Is that correct? If so, I am not sure why everyone doesn't do it your way (unless they absolutely want to avoid cutting any factory parts). Can you confirm that my understanding is correct?
Old 07-30-2018, 02:37 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TypeRx
Quick question for you since your install of the front door 8" drivers is a bit different than others have reported. I just want to confirm your method here as I will install IS 200s in my front door this weekend.

Most people seem to mount the new 8" speaker to a 3/4" trim ring in order to get enough clearance. It appears that by cutting out the factory speaker basket, you can avoid adding a trim ring and mount directly to the factory plastic speaker mount. Is that correct? If so, I am not sure why everyone doesn't do it your way (unless they absolutely want to avoid cutting any factory parts). Can you confirm that my understanding is correct?
Your understanding of how I did it is correct. Make sure you follow the assembly sequence I used as you can only tighten all the bolts if you do it that way. You have to insert the bolts you'll use to screw it into the car before you mount the speaker as the bolts used to attach it to the car get partially obscured and you can get them in after.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:43 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fantastic -- thanks for your response and also for documenting how you did everything!!
Old 07-30-2018, 06:23 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Nice job! I like the bass switch location on side of seat.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:50 AM
flgfish
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

I wonder if anyone has done something like this with the standard SPP ASK amp. If they have, I can't find where they've talked about it.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:18 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by flgfish
I wonder if anyone has done something like this with the standard SPP ASK amp. If they have, I can't find where they've talked about it.

I did a complete audio upgrade to sound package plus (ASK) in a 987.2. I believe the only difference would be that in 997 the rear speakers are larger than those found in the 987.2. The fronts would almost certainly be the same since the door is the same door on both cars (found '997' stickers on the inside of the door from the Porsche factory)

I utilized:

Focal SG-165A3 - 3 way components (front stage)
Alpine Type S - 4" 2 way coax (rear fill)
Polk PA D5000.5 5 channel amp (replaced the ASK amp)
Pioneer W8400NEX NAV head unit
Rockford Fosgate R2S 12 inch sub (located on rear shelf, not sure this would be ideal in a 911, cayman has a bigger rear shelf I think)
Suncoast aftermarket radio install kit (came with pretty much everything needed to do the head unit swap, pricey but looks great) https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/OEMRADDELE.html

Sounds excellent. Really great.

Here is a link I used (has wiring/pinouts for ASK);

https://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-...grade-how.html

The following users liked this post:
gnava00 (11-07-2020)
Old 01-18-2019, 12:15 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by flgfish
Did the same focal upgrade as Petza in my old 997.1 using ryanm's speaker upgrade thread on 6speedonline. That thread touches upon the SPP models and how they are the same speaker wise except for the rear subwoofers which are missing in non BOSE. Further the thread on 6speed discusses how in the Sound Package Plus the speakers are powered by a mix of head unit and the AMP. Can't recall off the top of my head which speakers receive what.

Currently upgrading my non Bose 997.2 C4S. Did the rear speakers which are the same as outlined above and over on 6 speed. Found information on the SPP which I attached showing speaker sizes. Monday will likely replace the door and dash speakers/tweeters. Went with Focal as recommended in 6 speed and also what I used last time. May replace the amp but that would be down the line.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Sound System.pdf (384.9 KB, 300 views)

Quick Reply: 997.1 C2S with Bose complete Focal Speaker Upgrade