Sponsored by:

997.1 C2S with Bose complete Focal Speaker Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 10:09 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,764 Likes on 4,304 Posts

Wasn't happy with the bass from the rear subs - should sound stronger than that. Redid my calculations and determined I'm only sending them 15 watts each and they're rated for 75 each.

So, sourced a new compact amp that with the 2 Ohm resistance because of the way I have the 4 Ohm speakers connected will actually drive them to their full potential.

Let me tell you how hard it is to find an amp that fits inside the sub box, results in this power level at 2 Ohms that's also has remote control ****, high level inputs with auto turn on, and a low pass crossover - how hard? .... Crutchfield didn't have a single one but props to Dante there for an hour long exhaustive search with me trying and for explaining Ohm resistance from two speakers hooked up various ways, etc. With my two 4 Ohm speakers I could either end up at 8 Ohms or 2 Ohms depending on how they were connected so we also looked for 8 Ohm subs that were stable at 8 Ohms - nope.

I found this Rockford Fosgate PBR300x1 that they only made from 2011 - 2014 that was brand new an hour from me still sealed in the plastic !

When removing the sub box I realized my remote **** setup was less than ideal once run to the front seats, as there was no way to remove the sub box without taking it apart inside the car to unplug the remote (fun), so this time I bought an extension cable with a matching RJ45 port that I ran to outside the sub box, so next time it will be easier. Also made the fuse accessible under the flap for latch top hook so if it blows I can replace it easily.

New Plexiglas.mounting plate for the larger amp

Amp in it's new home

Remote **** port

Ready to be sealed back up again

Will be reinstalling and testing it later this week.

Last edited by Petza914; 03-15-2022 at 10:12 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Petza914:
BLU997 (03-17-2022), Ohio Performance (03-15-2022), Tkersting (03-15-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 06:25 AM
BLU997
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Hi @Petza914 have you thought about lining the inside of your sub box with stick on "Dynamat" or similar? it controls errant harmonics emanating from your box by adding mass to the plastic shell.
Old 03-17-2022, 08:40 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BLU997
Hi @Petza914 have you thought about lining the inside of your sub box with stick on "Dynamat" or similar? it controls errant harmonics emanating from your box by adding mass to the plastic shell.
Hadn't, but could. Think I have some sheets of that left.ovwr from my 928 project. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2022, 09:59 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Wasn't happy with the bass from the rear subs - should sound stronger than that. Redid my calculations and determined I'm only sending them 15 watts each and they're rated for 75 each.

So, sourced a new compact amp that with the 2 Ohm resistance because of the way I have the 4 Ohm speakers connected will actually drive them to their full potential.

Let me tell you how hard it is to find an amp that fits inside the sub box, results in this power level at 2 Ohms that's also has remote control ****, high level inputs with auto turn on, and a low pass crossover - how hard? .... Crutchfield didn't have a single one but props to Dante there for an hour long exhaustive search with me trying and for explaining Ohm resistance from two speakers hooked up various ways, etc. With my two 4 Ohm speakers I could either end up at 8 Ohms or 2 Ohms depending on how they were connected so we also looked for 8 Ohm subs that were stable at 8 Ohms - nope.

I found this Rockford Fosgate PBR300x1 that they only made from 2011 - 2014 that was brand new an hour from me still sealed in the plastic !

When removing the sub box I realized my remote **** setup was less than ideal once run to the front seats, as there was no way to remove the sub box without taking it apart inside the car to unplug the remote (fun), so this time I bought an extension cable with a matching RJ45 port that I ran to outside the sub box, so next time it will be easier. Also made the fuse accessible under the flap for latch top hook so if it blows I can replace it easily.

New Plexiglas.mounting plate for the larger amp

Amp in it's new home

Remote **** port

Ready to be sealed back up again

Will be reinstalling and testing it later this week.
Will be anxiously waiting for your impression on your sub mod.... how did it perform????
Old 03-17-2022, 10:01 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slicky rick
Will be anxiously waiting for your impression on your sub mod.... how did it perform????
Waiting for the adjustable bass boost **** to arrive so I can complete the install. Different plug jack type than the Alpine one used so have to swap them. Think it comes Monday so will get it back together next week.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:10 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Finished this up tonight and it's a major improvement. I put it in the way I had it configured and it was going into protect mode at full bass boost and/or at higher voules, so I took the box back out, opened it up and connected it again open so I could play with the gain and see what was happening. I found a decent balance with gain and the PCM volume **** that allows for 75% of the boost **** to work without going into protect mode. That has the gain set at 3.

The way I listen to the stereo is at lower volume unless I have the windows down and roof open, so at normal volume, I can boost the bass **** to 5/8 -3/4 of it's travel, which supplies a lot of bass. If I need more overall volume, I dial the bass **** back to about half and that works well too.

Not sure why it's entering protection mode - could be the stock wiring is a bit smaller than the 10 gauge recommended or could be that testing it with the car off isn't supplying as much voltage or amperage as it will when running.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:34 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

I'm sure nothing a few tweaks here and there couldn't fix... will be monitoring this post... how is the sound, in terms of the spectrum?.. does it sound so much better? Did it give your expectations? My concern was it could add lower bass but remove some mid bass... I have a sound stream class d tarantula amp and a pair of 5 1/4 mini subs waiting for this installation.. I just feel ok with my current setup bose with focals upgrade and not getting the energy to install the back sub box stuff.
Old 03-23-2022, 08:48 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Another update from today. Had to move the car off the lift to work on a neighbor's Corvette so tested it again while it was running and no clipping or cutting out even at louder than I'd like volume and full bass boost, so last night's issues were a result of not enough juice getting to the setup with the car not running. I now have tons of bass - more than I need and can modulate it with the ****, so although I could have probably adjusted the gain higher, I don't need to. Today I'm really happy with the setup and sound and the new amp makes those expensive Focal Utopias worth the high price.
The following users liked this post:
MarkinMD (03-24-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 12:34 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Because of Petza, I dug up the toys and realized I have a problem... skar audio evl-65 and soundstrean nano class d amp... the subs I got are too big!!! 6.5s instead of 5.25s.. haayaayaa...

6.5 subs

Amp
Old 04-17-2022, 10:46 AM
veloaudio2
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another Bose Sub Option

Referencing this thread I did something very similar to my Bose sub in my 06 S.

I used two Morel 5.25 Hybrid woofers (no mounting adapters needed) and an Alpine KTA-200M. A few install notes:

1. I had to retap an ignition on 12V source (by the ECU) for the amp turn on because my factory Bose amp was only putting out 11V for the amp wake up line.
2. I set the amp gain (on the unit itself to 60-70%). I have the Rux **** running to drivers seat rail for now. Rux **** is a must though
3. I combine the two inputs to the Alpine in to one (+s together and -s together) fed from the one input to the Bose sub

Wanted to add it here for those looking for other options.

Petza914 (04-17-2022)
Old 05-24-2024, 06:50 AM
MarkTro
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

In the 997.1 Bose cars, everything but the rear sub box is powered by the Bose amp up front. The rear sub box gets a low level output and has an integrated amp in the box between the low level input and the actual subwoofers. I upgraded the amp to a higher power Alpine and used Focal Utopia speakers in the box.

My DIY and impressions write-up is attached.
This is an AWESOME job! I love how you cataloged it too with the summary. VERY WELL done. Do you still have the car and does it still sound great?

Love for you to check out my audio journey too and tell me what you think. It's at: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post19455634
Old 05-24-2024, 08:48 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarkTro
This is an AWESOME job! I love how you cataloged it too with the summary. VERY WELL done. Do you still have the car and does it still sound great?

Love for you to check out my audio journey too and tell me what you think. It's at: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post19455634
Thanks. Yes, I'll have this car forever. Still sounds great. What brought it all together was the better amp in the sub enclosure to properly drive those compact Utopia subs.
MarkTro (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 07:03 AM
MarkTro
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks. Yes, I'll have this car forever. Still sounds great. What brought it all together was the better amp in the sub enclosure to properly drive those compact Utopia subs.
Enjoy it!!!!

Quick Reply: 997.1 C2S with Bose complete Focal Speaker Upgrade