Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2017, 10:03 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
I said this before, but..

WOO HOO!
Yeah...I'm not getting my hopes up too soon, but we'll see.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:08 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Do you mean that the CEL was still on even after you had removed the DME and opened it up? Would the CEL not go off and the code clear ? Did you attempt to clear the code after you reinstalled the DME? Normaly it takes 2 drives with a fault code for it to illuminate the CEL. and it takes 20 drive cycles with NO fault for the DME to self-clear a code !! Did you do a HARD RESET of the DME? Seems like this is shaping up to be one of those weird problems.
Sorry, I didn't really answer you questions in my last reply...

Yes - CEL was still on after removing/replacing DME
I didn't go back in and clear the code after replacing the DME
I drove the car at least 3 times last week after re-installing the DME
I did not do a "hard reset" of the DME...

Weird indeed!!! (Cue the Twilight Zone music)
Old 08-20-2017, 10:46 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 336 Posts

Congratulations!
Old 08-21-2017, 12:05 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,588 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
"Seems like this is shaping up to be one of those weird problems."

[/B] It's possible that they were working all along, and the Durametric program was messed up (and uninstallation/re-installation fixed it), or that there might have been a blockage in the bank 1 actuator that has cleared itself, or removing and re-installing the DME cleaned a funky connection...
or the DME had some bad data that finally got deleted after removing ,opening, and reinstalling the DME !!
Old 08-21-2017, 07:41 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

or the DME had some bad data that finally got deleted after removing ,opening, and reinstalling the DME !!
Yeah, yeah... ^that^ too!!!😆 In which case, that "hard reset" may have worked after all! I suppose what I did was essentially a hard reset... we'll see what the future holds. Oh and btw...
Old 08-21-2017, 10:50 AM
Device2
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Keeping the old fingers crossed that the hard reset solved the issue.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:23 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

If it was the "Hard Reset" that fixed the problem, this is an important lesson for us.
When hard reset was discussed elsewhere, some ppl dismissed it as an ineffective fix.
If it is (in this case anyway) a fix and it could do no harm to try it, that is huge.
The alternative is often a major fishing expedition into the bowels of the engine or an exchange DME. Neither of which may have been necessary?
The hard reset is fast, cheap and if it can do no harm, it should be the first 'treatment' , not the last ?
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:54 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
If it was the "Hard Reset" that fixed the problem, this is an important lesson for us.
When hard reset was discussed elsewhere, some ppl dismissed it as an ineffective fix.
If it is (in this case anyway) a fix and it could do no harm to try it, that is huge.
The alternative is often a major fishing expedition into the bowels of the engine or an exchange DME. Neither of which may have been necessary?
The hard reset is fast, cheap and if it can do no harm, it should be the first 'treatment' , not the last ?
Thanks for sharing your experience.
^Yes^... As I mentioned in my last post, the "hard reset" wasn't really my intention, but in effect, it's exactly what I did... Time will tell whether it was actually effective. In a case like mine where I just had the engine out of the car and in pieces, I'm certainly glad I decided to open up the DME before dropping the motor and opening it up again.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:05 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

For those who follow I guess we should define what hard reset means in your case.
1.Battery disconnected from the car/DME /engine for several days.
or
2. Battery terminals disconnected from both posts of the battery and +ve+ -ve terminals connected together for at least 10 minutes.To discharge capacitive charges.
or
3. Other methods?
And then there is the Initialization Procedure to follow and the Readiness Process

Last edited by Schnell Gelb; 08-22-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:20 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
For those who follow I guess we should define what hard reset means in your case.
1.Battery disconnected from the car/DME /engine for several days.
or
2. Battery terminals disconnected from both posts of the battery and +ve+ -ve terminals connected together for at least 10 minutes.To discharge capacitive charges.
or
3. Other methods?
Uh... yeah... I didn't do any of the "smart stuff"! I pulled the foam cover off where the DME is located, unclipped all the electrical connections (4 or 5 plugs), brought the DME into my studio (where I do my electronics work) opened it up, examined it - didn't find anything awry or out of the ordinary, put it back together, and reconnected/reinstalled. Upon starting the car, the CEL was still present. I didn't have the time to hook up the durametric and mess with it, but I did drive the car 60-80mi. over the next 2 days. The car was parked for the following 3 or 4 days until I drove it on Sunday and noticed the CEL had gone out (It was on when I first started it). I'm sorry I'm not able to properly document my process, but that's because it wasn't really a process
Old 08-21-2017, 04:27 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

A useful accidental discovery - thanks for sharing with us.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:57 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

One thing to remember , or to ponder on is that the OBDII LEV version of this engine uses data from both banks of cam sensors to evaluate the operation of cam timing, the ROW version only reads the bank 1 cam sensor to decide if cam function is working and timing is correct. The ROW versions do not have a cam sensor on the bank 2 side, I assume they read bank 1 sensor and just activate both sides at the same time, who knows what internal programming and communication goes on in there and what programming is common to both OBDII LEV versions and ROW versions of the software. USA OBDII LEV engines can be flashed to ROW specs ,but ROW version engines can not be flashed to OBDII LEV specs.

From Porsche Training Manual p-21 Engine Management

Last edited by Porschetech3; 08-21-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:31 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

One thing to remember , or to ponder on is that the OBDII LEV version of this engine uses data from both banks of cam sensors to evaluate the operation of cam timing, the ROW version only reads the bank 1 cam sensor to decide if cam function is working and timing is correct. The ROW versions do not have a cam sensor on the bank 2 side, I assume they read bank 1 sensor and just activate both sides at the same time, who knows what internal programming and communication goes on in there and what programming is common to both OBDII LEV versions and ROW versions of the software. USA OBDII LEV engines can be flashed to ROW specs ,but ROW version engines can not be flashed to OBDII LEV specs.

From Porsche Training Manual p-21 Engine Management
^^I think I'll wait to see if the CEL comes back before I ponder anything remotely like that^^ It just may save my head from exploding !!! Hopefully I won't have any issues before my next oil change, which I've been doing at 4k miles - should be around late fall. If anything else comes up, I'll be sure to revive the thread... Big thanks for all the interest, encouragement and help I've received throughout this project - this forum (and it's members) is a great rescource for the DIY community.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:43 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dporto
^^I think I'll wait to see if the CEL comes back before I ponder anything remotely like that^^ It just may save my head from exploding !!! Hopefully I won't have any issues before my next oil change, which I've been doing at 4k miles - should be around late fall. If anything else comes up, I'll be sure to revive the thread... Big thanks for all the interest, encouragement and help I've received throughout this project - this forum (and it's members) is a great rescource for the DIY community.

I honestly think you're good to go !! With the CEL turning its self off is a great sign ! That means that the DME through OBD II self diagnostics has done enough tests ( which is a very large number, usually20) that it is satisfied that there is no more fault or intermittent faults with the system !! Which is quite a rarity on a problem such as this.

Quick Reply: CEL came back...Finally got around to getting a Durametric