OFFICIAL 991.2 GT3 RELEASE *Confirmed 500HP 4.0 & Manual option*

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 03:05 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,943 Likes on 2,800 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewordrew
The front axle lift system will remain as useful as the system offered on the 991-I GT3. The rear underbody diffusor does not change the angle of approach or departure, it merely creates a new low point in the rear center under the engine. It is the new minimum ground clearance point for the vehicle at 88 mm clearance.
Thanks for info, interesting!
Old 03-07-2017, 03:12 PM
redleg321
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My god what a triumph of a car. Good game, Porsche.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:12 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
NO
Not currently, but AP hinted of a wing-delete in his comments, perhaps in a limited edition model to come later. And I'm with AP re: black wheels.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:20 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does it have the motorsport crank?
Old 03-07-2017, 03:23 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

What's under there?
Old 03-07-2017, 03:25 PM
redleg321
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
Does it have the motorsport crank?
"So the engine has a different crankshaft, a bigger crankshaft with bigger diameter main seals. It's a lot stiffer, it is drilled so there is central oil feeding so all the con-rod bearings get their oil from within it, it gets channeled through the crank to where it is needed this is all new for the second generation. We learned from motorsport, we need to use this kind of engine in motorsport as well. There has to be more meat in the engine to fulfil other requirements in the RSR and the R and that is a technology transfer because the same people that are responsible for the race engines build them for the road car as well."
-AP

I don't think its exactly the same part but it seems very similar.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Porsche didn't disappoint! It's nice that those who want a manual can get one (once a manual was engineered for the 911R it was pretty much a forgone conclusion it would become available for the GT3), although I would personally still choose PDK if I were trading in my car (I'm not).

And what a great choice for a debut color!
Old 03-07-2017, 03:29 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
-no manual until september.. those with early allocations who want a manual are SOL. I predict there will be a huge number of manual cars specced vs pdk.
-the valvetrain with the hard valve settings is a really cool setup.. the fact that they don't have to be oil-pressurized and thus have 20% less friction is a genius move.
-the oiling system with the oil passthrough crankshaft is also a really elegant solution to the oiling issues.
-918 guys are already waiting for the gt4RS.. gonna be limited.
-the manual is going to be making more power, is lighter, and AP said that unless you track constantly.. that is the one to get "it makes it a true driver's car" he says.
-the wingless "touring" car is coming at some point
-AP hates black wheels, but loves the pinstripes. pinstripes not yet showing on configurator.
-it isn't possible to install the LWFW, and while you can go buy one and install it because it will fit, it will damage the engine. However AP says the engine with the new dual-flapper intake manifold makes the engine very snappy at low revs from 2k on up.. that's very exciting.
-the VIP program has just become a lot more restrictive with flippers. those who received the letter yesterday know this. These gt3's won't be flipped as easily during the first year as RS's and R's have been or the penalties for VIP customers will be expulsion from program. Donohue has been under a lot of pressure with his USA VIP program, and they are cracking down. each VIP client only gets ONE GT3 allocation guaranteed. However.. AP specifically says in the video that they will make as many GT3 as the market requests... so, get in line and eventually you'll get one.
-some options like sport chrono have gone down in price, but others like the black headlights have gone up in price.. tough to spec a car below $160k now if you want leather and LWB.
-still no yellow stitching inside.. what a pity.. for those who care about "matching" means that a lot less PCCB yellow calipers will be specced.
-the aero on the car is very interesting, with the new underbody flow management really being a huge step forward... reduces the need for the big front splitter lip.. may make ramps a little easier to negotiate?
-That rear wing is the ****. the carbon mirror housings will go well with all the black detailing.. this car should look gorgeous on the road. not a fan of chalk.

SUMMARY: what a nice evolution of an already semi-perfect car. I don't want to talk values as AP already spoke of how silly this all is.. those who can grab a manual 4.0 gt3 better hold on tight. this is a special car. I'll be driving a 911R a lot this coming week.. while i now realize how different these two cars will be, with the gt3 engine actually being more responsive and torquey than the R's, I'm still excited to get a taste of what the manual gt3 will feel like. I'll report in the "911R driving impressions" thread next week.
most informative post in this thread
Old 03-07-2017, 03:33 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
What's under there?
mine
Old 03-07-2017, 03:34 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

What's under there?
GT4 RS
Old 03-07-2017, 03:35 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 271 Posts

What's under there?
this is going to break the internet! my guess GT4RS
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,293 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Completely agree mike.

I'm ordering my .2 GT3 in Guards Red again.

I'm actually worried that there will be more Guards Red cars this time around as its the debut color and the color on the website. I like that Guards Red is a fun jelly bean racing color, but it's actually not super common choice among GT3 owners, about 15% overall. Unfortunately I think that number of GR cars will be higher for the second generation.

If I didn't daily my GT3 so much, (or was more bold in my color choices), I would definitely consider Miami Blue for the .2 GT3. I think it's fantastic that Carmine Red and Miami Blue are now regular color options for the GT3.
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Porsche didn't disappoint! It's nice that those who want a manual can get one (once a manual was engineered for the 911R it was pretty much a forgone conclusion it would become available for the GT3), although I would personally still choose PDK if I were trading in my car (I'm not).

Welcome back Mike!
Old 03-07-2017, 03:37 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 774 Likes on 357 Posts

Full sun depiction of chalk.
Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2017, 03:38 PM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
black detailing.. this car should look gorgeous on the road. not a fan of chalk.
Caveat of not having seen it in person, I am a fan of the chalk

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL 991.2 GT3 RELEASE *Confirmed 500HP 4.0 & Manual option*