Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OFFICIAL 991.2 GT3 RELEASE *Confirmed 500HP 4.0 & Manual option*

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 04:30 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I've got my spec figured out except for the wheel. Alcantara or leather?

Otherwise:
White
Manual
Buckets
Leather interior with red stiching
Red seat belt
Platinum wheels
Smoking package, 90L tank
Fire extinguisher
Lift kit
Old 03-07-2017, 04:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Completely agree mike.

I'm ordering my .2 GT3 in Guards Red again.

I'm actually worried that there will be more Guards Red cars this time around as its the debut color and the color on the website. I like that Guards Red is a fun jelly bean racing color, but it's actually not super common choice among GT3 owners, about 15% overall. Unfortunately I think that number of GR cars will be higher for the second generation.

If I didn't daily my GT3 so much, (or was more bold in my color choices), I would definitely consider Miami Blue for the .2 GT3. I think it's fantastic that Carmine Red and Miami Blue are now regular color options for the GT3.
I agree Drifting; at least GT3's are uncommon enough that you won't see yourself coming and going except perhaps at big Porsche events! I also think it's great that Carmine and MB are regular options...the more choice the better....although I still think if one is going to get red that GR is a more classic look.

Originally Posted by neanicu
Welcome back Mike!
Thanks, Nick. You were the first person I thought of when I saw that a manual option for the GT3 was confirmed!
Old 03-07-2017, 04:34 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
I heard they will offer a wing delete option.
Is that supposed to come later ?
Old 03-07-2017, 04:35 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
I heard they will offer a wing delete option.
I can confirm.

I saw it written in invisible ink in a restroom stall at PCNA during a recent visit.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:38 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
I did see that after my first post. Still very interested to learn more on the valve train. Dyno test of one engine doesn't prove reliability to me. Wonder if there is anything in the maintenance schedule at all. The web site describes the use of shims so not sure that squares with the statement of no adjustment ever.

The MT is not an overriding draw for me. My 2015 has been rock solid so far (except the thermostat replacement) but the prospect of improved long term engine reliability is of interest.
That is two of us. Mine has also been rock solid, nothing ever wrong to now. I wonder if Porsche has claimed "guilty" by abandoning the original valve system for this new arrangement after only one generation. If mine goes bad after warranty is over I think Porsche has given us the ammo to make sure they fix it cost free.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
I've got my spec figured out except for the wheel. Alcantara or leather?
If you're going to keep the car a long time.....leather.
If you have sweaty hands.....leather.
If you're not or don't......Alcantera.

My $.02.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:40 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
That is two of us. Mine has also been rock solid, nothing ever wrong to now. I wonder if Porsche has claimed "guilty" by abandoning the original valve system for this new arrangement after only one generation. If mine goes bad after warranty is over I think Porsche has given us the ammo to make sure they fix it cost free.
Hopefully. But as long as they throw a 4L engine in mine, I am willing to pay for the wing update so it says 4.0.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:40 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,293 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

My $.02.
Perfect summary.

Alcantara doesn't wear as well as leather, so if you plan to keep the car for more than 3 years, I'd get leather. Sweaty hand thing applies as well.

I plan to keep my .2 GT3 for 10 years, so its leather for me.

I'm just disappointed that you can only get the red 12 o clock marking on the steering wheel, if you order alcantara.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:42 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

It's not a limited run - you'll find plenty of dealers willing to spec one for you and sell at msrp. You just have to wait because most have lists that are 15 deep. Those paying a mark up will do so because they didn't place a deposit ahead of time and want the car right away
Originally Posted by Mike in CA

My $.02.
The alcantara omp wheel on my track car didn't last very long (i wear gloves) and switched to an omp leather wheel which i love. Seems like gt3's traditionally have an alcantara wheel tho
Old 03-07-2017, 04:45 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,293 Likes on 681 Posts

The alcantara omp wheel on my track car didn't last very long (i wear gloves) and switched to an omp leather wheel which i love. Seems like gt3's traditionally have an alcantara wheel tho
alcantara is tradition for GT cars and I ordered a lot of alcantara options for my GT3, other than the steering wheel..........

Last edited by Drifting; 03-07-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:45 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
no, AP specifically says that with the new metallurgy they are using, there is no need for any adjustment. They tested engines multiple times up to 300,000km and there as zero adjustment necessary. This is true progress.
Mumble. I follow progress in material science reasonably closely and didn't hear of any breakthrough that would fit here.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:01 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by squid42
Mumble. I follow progress in material science reasonably closely and didn't hear of any breakthrough that would fit here.
he specifically said they have a patent on this, and they aren't sharing... sorry AP didn't share this with you..

(kidding aside, don't take my joke personally. )

i will say that we have been getting closer to this point with other brands.. i have 4 ducatis in my garage, and have owned countless at this point. My old Superbikes, with the desmo system (hard open and closer valve followers) used to require adjustments every 6000 miles. then it went suddenly to 15000 miles, on engines which regularly rev past 11,000 rpm and have a much higher specific output than a car engine (1100cc for 210hp)... so, the trend is definitely there, not unreasonable to see how they could get to 300,000km with Porsche's know-how.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:04 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 189 Likes on 113 Posts

By definition a patent means you have to disclose your invention to the world. Someone motivated could fairly easy find patents in this area that are assigned to Porsche. Just FYI!
Old 03-07-2017, 05:05 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 774 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
First Canadian on the board!

Congrats!
My guys are telling me the internal configurator is not even up yet.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:16 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by squid42
Coming from the group that has failed multiple times to fix the top end wear issue on the 991.1 GT3 engine, I guess I have a wait and see attitude.

For everyone involved, I hope they have it fixed this time.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL 991.2 GT3 RELEASE *Confirmed 500HP 4.0 & Manual option*