Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone buy their car without even seeing it in person?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 04:34 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 689 Likes on 415 Posts

Bought z3 off eBay without seeing at steal of price, owner sent tons of pics and answered all questions, still cpo coverage. Drove 3 hrs south and drove home. Had for 5 yrs with no issues. Cost me less than 1k/yr maintenance and depreciation.

Bought current S as cpo from Leith in North Carolina a yr ago and had shipped. Lots of pics, clean carfax. Was exactly as described. They do lots of out of town sight unseen sales. Was somewhat worried spending far more than the any car to date, but zero issues with car and still lust every time I get in it.

I talked to many dealers over 6 months on 911's. There were some I immediately knew I would not buy from. If no car locally I'll buy sight unseen again. Recommend researching dealer prior to believing what they say and buying. The ones I talked to and liked all had good reviews such as Leith, the ones I thought bad also had bad reviews. I wasn't aware of rennlist prior to buying it, and think the generosity of members and their willingness to put eyes on the car is superb, and will leverage in the future.
If you find what you want, don't let inability to touch it stop you from buying. Enter with due diligence and you'll end up happy.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:08 PM
Jlewis1436
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought a SRT8 sight unseen from a small dealer on Ebay. Was a great car! Drove it home from FL to CT in well under the time it should have taken!

I bought my Viper sight unseen off seeing it on a forum for sale. The car was HIGHLY, HIGHLY modified but so well documented I trusted the build and builder. The benefit of forums many times is people who are actively posting their builds and issues have a cyber trail for you to read all about the car.

I sold the SRT for the Viper and the Viper for my now 997. I had no plans of buying the 997, then I drove it! SOLD!

Best of luck. If you do your homework, and the seller is reputable, same chances as buying from down the street.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:22 PM
Clinton Ave
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

I did not, but after looking at photos and talking to the former owner, I booked a flight about 400 miles away, got a PPI and drove it home.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:45 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

I live in Toronto, bought my car sight unseen in Vancouver 4500kms away

Had an independent PPI and a body shop have a look. All ok

Flew out to Van with my kid, 4 day roadtrip back. Priceless!!
Old 03-03-2017, 10:53 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

i have bought probably 12-15 porsches sight unseen, no regrets to date
Old 03-03-2017, 11:04 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

I've purchased all but one of my 911s sight unseen and all without a PPI. I ask a LOT of questions and get to know the seller over several conversations. Two of them were through PCA and one was a respected Rennlist member with a very well-known and coveted car. On another I had a cross-country "Rennfax" done which was helpful. Frankly, people spend way too much time nickel and diming over consumables like brake pad thickness and tire tread remaining. There's nothing wrong with a formal PPI, especially for 997 related items like bore scoring and DME readouts, and I would probably get one for a prospective 997.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:26 PM
gg1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well that car is gone. I had a feeling it was going to sell. I wouldn't have been able to get down there until Wednesday. I will keep looking. I really enjoy the stories how people buy their cars though. I hope to get my Porsche soon, but whats another month or two?
Old 03-04-2017, 07:41 PM
07CarreraS
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 64 Posts

Bought this 05' (26,000 miles) from a small dealer in Nebraska last year (pic is in Iowa off the highway when I drove it down to Florida). It was a little worn on the inside and front bumper was rough in spots. Paid $41,000 and put $8,000 into it (installed new PSE, tires, replaced all worn leather and plastic trim pieces, repainted bumper, 4 and 6 yr Porsche service)

The 993 (49,000 miles) was bought from a private owner in Texas so I had an appraiser go out and check it out. I knew it had an oil leak. Paid $48,000 and invested another $14,000 into it (Porsche dropped the motor and had it basically rebuilt, tires, cosmetic upgrades and refresh of interior and exterior trim, rubber door seals, OEM stereo, etc)

I know I put some money in these cars but now they are pretty much how I wanted them.
Attached Images   
Old 03-05-2017, 10:48 AM
gg1
Advanced

On the flip side there is this car right down the street. Not thrilled that it has almost 50K miles.

http://www.mercedesbenzofpittsburgh....359377aa87.htm
Old 03-05-2017, 11:18 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by gg1
On the flip side there is this car right down the street. Not thrilled that it has almost 50K miles.
http://www.mercedesbenzofpittsburgh....359377aa87.htm
Here's the build info. The options are actually pretty reasonable. On the plus side that's an unusually low price even for a non-S although can be somewhat explained by the lack of a CPO and the miles. I'd be extra diligent on a PPI though... the price seems almost too low to me.... but maybe they just want to move it. Maybe a quality warranty could be added on as part of the deal?
Old 03-05-2017, 11:44 AM
Jnelso
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Bought my 1999 996 on ebay sight unseen, paid the deposit and then went to pick it up. Car was just as described, but the best part was after getting it home I discovered it had a factory reman engine with the 22 mm IMSB and very low miles on engine.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:26 PM
scottiemac
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought my 99 C2 Cab from a used car dealer in Florida. I had it checked by a buddy of mine (serious car guy) who happened to be close by at the time. No PPI. I flew down and we drove it back to Calgary in January. Great car - kept it for 5 years with no issues.
I bought my current car - 2009 997.2 from a used car dealer in Toronto, had the same guy check it out. No PPI. Had it for almost a year and a half and it has been a daily driver ever since. Nice car.
He also helped my buy my wife's Benz. No issues.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:55 PM
Grant L
Intermediate

Bought mine without being able to see it in person from Porsche Exchange in IL. I did have a third-party PPI, lots of pictures, the PPI report, and CarFax to back up my decision as well as multiple conversations with the PPI guy and the salesman. Once I pulled the trigger the car was shipped to me in Los Angeles. I will admit there were a few surprises that I would have expected to be uncovered during the PPI that PERHAPS I might have caught had I inspected the car personally, but all in all after 3 months of living with the car nothing that would have made me pass up the deal I got on what has proven to be a fantastic first 911 for me.

Originally Posted by gg1
I can't find anything in my region. Seems people love automatics around here. I am looking for an '09 or newer and under $50K. Came across this cab in Dallas and really like it, but it is very far away. Looks like there could be an issue with the passenger seat, but not sure what those two marks are? Also, can you really trust a dealer? Seems they are one of the largest dealers in the US. Anyway here is the car. What do you think? I can get 4 days off with 3 weeks notice, so not ideal for going to see a car that far away from Pittsburgh.

http://www.parkplace.com/VehicleDeta...-TX/2911922983
Old 03-05-2017, 08:56 PM
gg1
Advanced

Originally Posted by StormRune
Here's the build info. The options are actually pretty reasonable. On the plus side that's an unusually low price even for a non-S although can be somewhat explained by the lack of a CPO and the miles. I'd be extra diligent on a PPI though... the price seems almost too low to me.... but maybe they just want to move it. Maybe a quality warranty could be added on as part of the deal?

I went to see it. I didn't gravitate to it that much. There was a 997 next to it and I preferred the 997 body. The 991 looks really large in the side rear. It might grow on me, but I am not sure about it. I might go back and look at it again tomorrow. It is a good price, but with 50K miles, I am not all that excited.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:52 PM
bdiamond001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Bought mine from an internet dealer on eBay. Car was in Fla. 1200 miles away. I had the seller send it to a Porsche dealer for a PPI. The car was still under original warranty. The car checked out. I flew down and drove the car home. Never looked back. Still can't believe I did it.

Quick Reply: Anyone buy their car without even seeing it in person?