Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone buy their car without even seeing it in person?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 03:23 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
The incentive is the drive itself
His concern wasn't the drive but the depreciation it would incur
And with a TTS it should take 2 days!
I'm agreeing with vern1 here, although I do understand that 3k miles is on the long side! My drive back from Salt Lake City to Central Texas was one of the best in my life. And yeah, I learned a lot about the car well past the first 300 miles. I even went a few hundred miles out of the way to make sure I took the great mountain roads of Utah and Colorado along the way and only spent about 50 miles or so on interstates.

There were these grand sweepers though the mountains southeast of Salt Lake. There was the great open vistas and real super-long rolling roads as I moved from that to get to Grand Junction. From there, the roads south thought the Rockies beyond the mining town Ouray were phenomenal! I was lucky enough to hit them right after dawn before hardly any traffic showed up. That is were I learned to become comfortable with the feel of PDCC. Then lot's more mountains until I wondered over to wide-open-to-the-horizon two-lane roads across parts of eastern New Mexico where I could let the car stretch its legs (or maybe wings!). I ate at a lot of cool small towns and out-of-the-way places and got several positive nods, waves, thumbs-up, and kind comments for people that don't get to see cars like this too often. (There were only two jerks by my count). My only challenge was finding do-it-yourself car washes for a wash-down each day since I couldn't stand being in a new-to-me dirty car. (Be sure to bring a lightweight set of cleaning supplies if you care about this).

So one thing I realized is how rare it will be for me to be able to take the time and the willingness to rack up all of those miles for a drive like this. Whatever those miles cost me in depreciation, it was some of the best-spent money I ever parted ways with. While I agree that 3k+ miles a lot longer haul yet, if you take the time and plan your routes you can travel light and travel fast to places and roads you might never otherwise see... you might just find it is a pretty danged memorable experience for you too. And this has me thinking.... I need to plan a big road trip and rack up some more depreciation again sometime soon!
Old 03-09-2017, 03:28 PM
2006997s2leslie
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I flew to SC three weeks ago and bought a 997 coupe. The car fax was a bit scary but it was from a BMW dealer. They had a PPI done at Porsche. When I arrived and took it for a test drive a CEL came on. This resulted in an even nicer discount. The code was cleared at home with no issues. This car is going to be focused on DEs so I was not worried about 8 owners. I am sure it will not be worth much when I am done with it.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:35 PM
Greyghost230
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Vern, I was thinking of doing the reverse. Lots more cars out east.
Did you drive home through the states?
Old 03-09-2017, 05:48 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I'm agreeing with vern1 here, although I do understand that 3k miles is on the long side! My drive back from Salt Lake City to Central Texas was one of the best in my life. And yeah, I learned a lot about the car well past the first 300 miles. I even went a few hundred miles out of the way to make sure I took the great mountain roads of Utah and Colorado along the way and only spent about 50 miles or so on interstates.

There were these grand sweepers though the mountains southeast of Salt Lake. There was the great open vistas and real super-long rolling roads as I moved from that to get to Grand Junction. From there, the roads south thought the Rockies beyond the mining town Ouray were phenomenal! I was lucky enough to hit them right after dawn before hardly any traffic showed up. That is were I learned to become comfortable with the feel of PDCC. Then lot's more mountains until I wondered over to wide-open-to-the-horizon two-lane roads across parts of eastern New Mexico where I could let the car stretch its legs (or maybe wings!). I ate at a lot of cool small towns and out-of-the-way places and got several positive nods, waves, thumbs-up, and kind comments for people that don't get to see cars like this too often. (There were only two jerks by my count). My only challenge was finding do-it-yourself car washes for a wash-down each day since I couldn't stand being in a new-to-me dirty car. (Be sure to bring a lightweight set of cleaning supplies if you care about this).

So one thing I realized is how rare it will be for me to be able to take the time and the willingness to rack up all of those miles for a drive like this. Whatever those miles cost me in depreciation, it was some of the best-spent money I ever parted ways with. While I agree that 3k+ miles a lot longer haul yet, if you take the time and plan your routes you can travel light and travel fast to places and roads you might never otherwise see... you might just find it is a pretty danged memorable experience for you too. And this has me thinking.... I need to plan a big road trip and rack up some more depreciation again sometime soon!
Cheers!! We buy these cars to drive (I hope). Worrying about depreciation is the silliest thing to me unless of course you are buying a collectible as an investment

When I bought mine I drove with my son from Vancouver to Toronto. Best 4 days ever! 4800 kms

Originally Posted by Greyghost230
Hey Vern, I was thinking of doing the reverse. Lots more cars out east.
Did you drive home through the states?
No I drive all through Canada. I was with my son and wanted to show him our great country
Old 03-09-2017, 08:40 PM
Bomar Shelby
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm in Michigan. I bought mine a year ago from a Chicago area independent dealer, checked the Carfax, called the dealer that serviced it and got the service history, couldn't get a Rennlister from the area to check it out but seller took it to another Porsche dealer for the PPI which came back very positive . I paid for the PPI but it was then deducted from the selling price. Never saw the car in person until it was transported to my driveway. No issues, no surprises, just celebrated our one year anniversary.
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2017, 11:28 PM
pashaj
Rennlist Member

It would be my first Porsche so I would want to savor it a little. I mention the depreciation because I don't want to have the car immensely drop in value, in case something unforeseen happens and I need to sell it. It is being bought with the intention to keep, enjoy, and maybe give to a child as a first car.
The car in SD may have been sold at this point but I've on to a car in Miami. That's a little closer (1200 miles vs 3000) but I still think I would ship it. Maybe enclosed. Would love to drive it back myself, maybe drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway or something, but I have to get right back to work so I can begin making the payments!
Old 03-13-2017, 11:07 PM
Lahainabry
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I did. I live in So CA. Looked for about 6 months, Lot of junk for sale out there. I did 3 PPI's and walked away from all 3 cars. That was painful to do, but the right thing.

I saw a 997 come up on Ebay in AZ. I called within 15 minutes of the car being posted. Gave a CC over the phone and set up a PPi. Stuttgart Southwest did the PPI. The dealer I bought from also gave me a in person inspection. All I would loose was the plane ticket and PPI cost. Less than $500.00.

I flew out that weekend, car was awesome for me. Just what I was looking for. My wife decided to come too. We stayed the night at the Omni in Scottsdale and drive home to the Beach the next day.
I have no regrets and would do it again.

Last edited by Lahainabry; 03-16-2017 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:18 PM
Feelgood MD
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out my sig for details and video of it coming off the truck. Best purchase I've ever made.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:16 PM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

I bought two Porsches without seeing them in person, both from dealers. I bought a '97 987 Boxster and an off-lease '02 996 Cabriolet. Both cars worked out great and I kept them for years.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:49 AM
robert090
Intermediate

Seeing them or not before getting your car, still it doesn't matter. Only matters for me is the trusted dealer. You must make sure that your dealer is legal and offers reliable trusty deal. I think you should go first looking for different feedbacks or reviews for the dealers before you can trust them.

Quick Reply: Anyone buy their car without even seeing it in person?