Sponsored by:

Show us your base C2!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 01:28 AM
volksjaeger
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts
Default what's it like to drive a base?

Currently own a GT4-- on waiting list for the 991.2 GT3.

Looking for a DD for the next few years. I am seriously contemplating a base C2 with nothing-- not even Sports Chrono. What do you guys think about a barebones base with nothing? I don't want to waste any money on upgrades I could use towards the GT3.

Am I nuts?
Old 01-18-2017, 08:11 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by volksjaeger

Looking for a DD for the next few years. I am seriously contemplating a base C2 with nothing-- not even Sports Chrono. What do you guys think about a barebones base with nothing? I don't want to waste any money on upgrades I could use towards the GT3.

Am I nuts?
When I started my order, that was my intent. I wanted a pure drivers car with nothing added in. But then thought I might need an upgrade on the seats. And if I didn't order sport chrono, I might regret it. And my mechanic told me that the PSE was a must, as well as LED headlamps. Heated seats are definitely neeedd in the NE. Well, then I might as well get the Sport Package Plus. I might like a stereo upgrade, too. Almost 20K later, my very base sports car was not so base. Now that was nuts.

It will be difficult to resist adding stuff.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:38 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by volksjaeger

Am I nuts?
Nope you're not... the standard Carrera is not really just a basement bottom dweller model anymore. It's quite quick, performs very well, and comes loaded with goodies from the getgo.

This is exactly what I did and I also have a deposit on a future .2 GT3 allocation so in the meantime I picked up from dealer inventory a 103k-msrp .2 Carrera with a manual. There were a few options I didn't mind but I got it down to the mid 90k's after negotiations. No sport chrono neither but just enough sport-related goodies to make me happy including PSE which is a must for me. I was surprised they even had an M7 in stock... they said the Manuals are quite scarce since nearly all that are equipped with it are based on a customer's sold pre-ordered but they built one for inventory last minute as one of their last allocations. This one just arrived... and I took it home.

The following users liked this post:
CrownCityBoy (02-28-2020)
Old 01-18-2017, 09:55 AM
RODOLFO04
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bossing
Nope you're not... the standard Carrera is not really just a basement bottom dweller model anymore. It's quite quick, performs very well, and comes loaded with goodies from the getgo.

This is exactly what I did and I also have a deposit on a future .2 GT3 allocation so in the meantime I picked up from dealer inventory a 103k-msrp .2 Carrera with a manual. There were a few options I didn't mind but I it down to the mid 90k's after negotiations. No

sport chrono neither but just enough sport-related goodies to make me happy including PSE which is a must for me. I was surprised they even had an M7 in stock... they said the Manuals are quite scarce since nearly all that are equipped with it are based on a customer's sold pre-ordered but they built one for inventory last minute as one of their last allocations. This one just arrived... and I took it home.

Beutiful cars

do you have a picture of the tinted tailights?
Old 01-18-2017, 10:01 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RODOLFO04
Beutiful cars
do you have a picture of the tinted tailights?
Danke... here you go!

genebarlow (04-07-2020)
Old 01-18-2017, 02:41 PM
racemor
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 46 Posts

Good to see some base car love, here's mine. I must have built 50 versions on the cofigurator before finally locking in the order. Graphite Blue, 7MT, standard black interior, 18-way seats, Sport Chrono, PSE.

I had a pretty specific budget and tried to spec it to be as performance focused, versus luxury, as I could without moving into an S. Coming from the air cooled cars I wanted to keep some of the old school items too, like manual transmission and regular key (versus keyless entry) too. Still added in a few lux touches here and there, but nothing over the top.

These shots are from when we picked it up in August at the Atlanta PEC, with Ray Shaffer, in WVA with some R Gruppe friends, and with it's 964 garage mate.
Attached Images     
CrownCityBoy (02-28-2020)
Old 01-18-2017, 05:48 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ooh that's a pretty ! perfect choice as far as I am concerned...
I bought used, so I did not get to pick exactly "a la carte", but I looked long and hard for a car with as few options as possible and got one eventually... For me it wasn't so much budget (used is cheaper) as long term hassles (or lack thereof, less stuff to go bad).. Graphite blue is fantastic, good choice !!
Old 01-18-2017, 09:43 PM
gregv8
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nope you're not... the standard Carrera is not really just a basement bottom dweller model anymore. It's quite quick, performs very well, and comes loaded with goodies from the getgo. This is exactly what I did and I also have a deposit on a future .2 GT3 allocation so in the meantime I picked up from dealer inventory a 103k-msrp .2 Carrera with a manual. There were a few options I didn't mind but I got it down to the mid 90k's after negotiations. No sport chrono neither but just enough sport-related goodies to make me happy including PSE which is a must for me. I was surprised they even had an M7 in stock... they said the Manuals are quite scarce since nearly all that are equipped with it are based on a customer's sold pre-ordered but they built one for inventory last minute as one of their last allocations. This one just arrived... and I took it home.
Looks very sharp!!
Could you post a couple more photos?
Old 01-18-2017, 09:56 PM
nimprojects
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by racemor
Still added in a few lux touches here and there, but nothing over the top.
I like that one of those was painting the headlamp washers.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:45 PM
RODOLFO04
Racer

Danke... here you go!

thanks for the pics

it looks sharp

i am waiting for my base C4, on February and I also optioned the dark tailights, but have never seen them in person

will get some pics soon
Old 01-19-2017, 02:12 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gregv8
Looks very sharp!!
Could you post a couple more photos?
Here's another one but I'll try to take more photos soon...

Old 01-19-2017, 02:50 AM
mr_fizz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great pics

Base is derisive slang for these great cars ,,, it's a Carrera (or a Carrera 4), pure and simple
Old 01-19-2017, 08:52 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Two more... because you can never get enough of a Carrera

genebarlow (03-20-2020)
Old 01-19-2017, 09:17 AM
RODOLFO04
Racer

love it congrats
Old 01-19-2017, 09:18 AM
gregv8
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep em coming! Makes me feel good about ordering GR.

Quick Reply: Show us your base C2!