Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - Brake fluid change - dumb!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 10:59 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Sucks. Been there and have two bottles for every job now. Think repeated heat cycles are needed to get moisture into the fluid. You'll know by the pedal firmness.

You doing the clutch too? That's a bitch.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:06 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

ATE Blue is sold at Pelican the last time I checked, but is not DOT simply because of its color.
I really meant Blue/Clear below but just used red out of reflex.

Originally Posted by 177mph
Who sells this blue and red fluid? From my understanding- its not available.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:52 AM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used ATE blue in the past (on other cars) and alternated it with Motul or the ATE un-dyed stuff. Just be aware that the blue dye may permanently dye your MC.

If you want a great brake fluid that will definitely last 2 years (street driven) with no problem, I like Castrol SRF.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:58 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

B.i.P
You're only an idiot if you do it twice. You get a pass this time.

B.S. - view from my glass house
Old 09-26-2016, 01:28 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by rbennett
ATE Blue is sold at Pelican the last time I checked, but is not DOT simply because of its color.
Do you have a link?

ATE discontinued blue sales in the USA in 2013 to comply with the feds. Brake fluid must be amber.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:35 PM
tuxkilla
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to throw in my 0.02, while I wont generally buy a bottle of brake fluid with a layer of dust on it at the auto parts store, I still continue to use ATF super blue in my other vehicles. I will never hit the point where I am boiling the fluid in my street cars, even with the fluid being at least three years old, unless the TN DOT decides to make I-65 a 130 MPH speed limit and throws in some chicanes. In my tow rig and my race car, that's another story, but a street car is not going to be stressed on brake fluid temps. Just bleed it till the pedal is firm, and dont worry about it.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:10 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

997.2 circulates the clutch fluid. Bleeding the clutch on a .1 isn't bad with the right rig.

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
Sucks. Been there and have two bottles for every job now. Think repeated heat cycles are needed to get moisture into the fluid. You'll know by the pedal firmness.

You doing the clutch too? That's a bitch.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:19 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by rbennett
Last time you checked must have been a while ago. I tried to get some back in 2014 and had no luck thru pelican and others.....
Old 09-26-2016, 03:11 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Last time you checked must have been a while ago. I tried to get some back in 2014 and had no luck thru pelican and others.....
Ate Super Blue is no longer sold in the states due to the color being against U.S. regulations. However, Ate Typ200 is the same exact product, but is amber in color to meet U.S. regulations.

You can purchase it here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg2.htm#item5 (scroll down a little to see the "Super Gold Typ200" fluid).

Let me know if anyone has any questions.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-26-2016, 03:57 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Ate Super Blue is no longer sold in the states due to the color being against U.S. regulations. However, Ate Typ200 is the same exact product, but is amber in color to meet U.S. regulations.

You can purchase it here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg2.htm#item5 (scroll down a little to see the "Super Gold Typ200" fluid).

Let me know if anyone has any questions.

And its a great price!!!
Old 09-26-2016, 04:08 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 101K miles

I was about due for my 2 year brake fluid change and I did something dumb. I ran out of brake fluid before I finished the job. I had a 1 liter can that I thought I had used only half last time... well I guess I used more than that! What a dope.

Anyway, the reservoir is full of new fluid and I did two wheels but could not finish the last two. I will order another can of the stuff and finish next weekend, but a question:

Does the fluid "circulate"? In other words, the fluid in the lines just kind of push back and forth don't they? So the only mixing of old and new is just what was in the top of the lines at cylinder .... in other words, no big deal... if I wanted to be super picky, I would suck out the new fluid and toss it, pour in some new stuff and drain the last two wheels. Or, just drain the last two wheels and top off. What say?

Comments?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Normally the fluid will not circulate in the lines as they are under static pressure - just moves back and forth as a unit as you note. But if 1) you used a very different fluid (much higher boiling point, compressibility) than what was originally in the system before bleeding or 2) the existing fluid is very, very old and tired (i.e. has significant "water"), then I suppose it is possible to have specific gravity differences and so there could be fluid movement. But the practical side is the distance from brake fluid reservoir to caliper is such that I'd expect any diffusion to be minimal and take more than a week - even so, very unlikely you'd feel any impact. Doubt you are in any jeopardy.

Clutch fluid as noted by others may be more of a mixing situation, but again probably not a real issue for a week.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:30 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1

I used to do the ATE blue/amber rotation, but had an issue in my 987 with the blue fluid reacting with the clutch slave cylinder seals and squeaking. Switching back to amber quickly resolved this (within a few miles), from which I concludes that there is some mass transfer occurring, at least in the clutch portion of the circuit. As noted above, the brake circuit is under static pressure, while there might be diffusion occurring, the fluid is not moving much.

there were some questions above about the use of a Motiv bleeder. Like many, I use th Motiv as a pressure source to bleed my brakes, re-filling the reservoir after each corner. Works well as long as you don't run the reservoir dry, and even then you can purge the air via conventional brake bleeding, with someone stomping the pedal while you work then bleed screw.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:51 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea its been at least a few years since I bought the ATE Blue from Pelican.
I bought several cans back then that have lasted and still have some in my garage.

Quick Reply: Help - Brake fluid change - dumb!