Ford GT or 991 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 09:25 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

The FGT is similar HP etc to the mclaren 675LT.

Super light, turbos. Hope it's as easy to drift
Old 06-14-2016, 11:05 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

LeMans is this weekend. If the FGT does well or wins its value will double overnight. They won at Laguna Seca in May but LeMans is a different animal.

I haven't seen Team Dempsey/Proton doing very well with the GT3R. I don't think they are getting much factory support or help. Thats major.

The full weight of Ford is behind this years LeMan effort. Unfortunate that the Matech team in 2009 did not have any factory help at LeMans in 2009. Despite that one of their FGTs was leading in class for 8 hours until it was hit by a Peugot coming out of the pits.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:34 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 655 Likes on 308 Posts

Fun thread. I've been paying attention to the FIA results this year for the GT. It's got plenty of pace. They were for sure still sorting out things like door hinges, fires and all kinds of endurance racing niggly bits. But it has also turned plenty of fastest laps. A full 24 hours is a big ask for a first year car. Can't wait for Saturday! Big screen, up 24 hours straight streaming the race...
Old 06-14-2016, 11:40 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Fun thread. I've been paying attention to the FIA results this year for the GT. It's got plenty of pace. They were for sure still sorting out things like door hinges, fires and all kinds of endurance racing niggly bits. But it has also turned plenty of fastest laps. A full 24 hours is a big ask for a first year car. Can't wait for Saturday! Big screen, up 24 hours straight streaming the race...
From the perspective of a road car buyer, it's nice when a car company uses the race car to beta test the road car product, as opposed to the other way around!
Old 06-14-2016, 11:49 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

I stand corrected. The below is from the Porsche Motorsports site.

Looks like PAG is fielding a factory team with some real heavy weights.

Should be exciting.

As an RS and FGT owner not sure who to route for! I guess I'll route for both. Definitely don't want to see Chebby win.

Six Porsche works drivers contest the GTE-Pro class at Le Mans for the Porsche Motorsport factory squad. Sharing the cockpit of the No91 Porsche 911 RSR are Nick Tandy and reigning IMSA GT champion Patrick Pilet (France) with Kévin Estre (France). The sister 911 RSR with the starting number 92 has an equally strong line-up. Earl Bamber shares driving duties with Jörg Bergmeister (Germany) and Frédéric Makowiecki (France). With 14 starts until now, Jörg Bergmeister has the most experience as a Porsche GT pilot at Le Mans. Taking up the race in the 911 RSR run by the Dempsey Proton Racing customer team is Richard Lietz (Austria), the WEC winner of the FIA World Endurance Trophy in 2015 as the best GT pilot, and his works driver colleague Michael Christensen (Denmark), with whom he contests the entire WEC season. Supporting them as the third driver is Philipp Eng (Austria), the 2015 winner of both the Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup and the Porsche Carrera Cup Deutschland. This will be Eng’s cameo appearance at Le Mans, where traditionally double points are awarded towards the WEC championship. In the GTE-Am class, four other customer teams and two Porsche works drivers race the Porsche 911 RSR: Abu Dhabi Proton Racing with Patrick Long (USA) and KCMG with Wolf Henzler (Germany), as well as Gulf Racing and Proton Competition.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:00 AM
RennSport24
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3RS is great, but FGT is in a whole different league...
Old 06-15-2016, 06:40 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Do you know a good app or website that will be streaming Le Mans?
Old 06-15-2016, 08:18 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Do you know a good app or website that will be streaming Le Mans?
Not sure if this might help or not:

https://itunes.apple.com/se/app/pors...2336?l=en&mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/24h-...852396979?mt=8

http://www.porsche.com/international...livestreaming/

http://www.lemans-tv.com
Old 06-15-2016, 10:03 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Waxer

I heard word that Ford is thinking of going V8 on the subsequent FGT's. Don't know how true that is but if it is it would kill the TT V6 Eco FGT in value IMHO and desirability.
Could you please elaborate on this.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:07 AM
The New 911
Pro

I stand corrected. The below is from the Porsche Motorsports site.

Looks like PAG is fielding a factory team with some real heavy weights.

Should be exciting.

As an RS and FGT owner not sure who to route for! I guess I'll route for both. Definitely don't want to see Chebby win.

Six Porsche works drivers contest the GTE-Pro class at Le Mans for the Porsche Motorsport factory squad. Sharing the cockpit of the No91 Porsche 911 RSR are Nick Tandy and reigning IMSA GT champion Patrick Pilet (France) with Kévin Estre (France). The sister 911 RSR with the starting number 92 has an equally strong line-up. Earl Bamber shares driving duties with Jörg Bergmeister (Germany) and Frédéric Makowiecki (France). With 14 starts until now, Jörg Bergmeister has the most experience as a Porsche GT pilot at Le Mans. Taking up the race in the 911 RSR run by the Dempsey Proton Racing customer team is Richard Lietz (Austria), the WEC winner of the FIA World Endurance Trophy in 2015 as the best GT pilot, and his works driver colleague Michael Christensen (Denmark), with whom he contests the entire WEC season. Supporting them as the third driver is Philipp Eng (Austria), the 2015 winner of both the Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup and the Porsche Carrera Cup Deutschland. This will be Eng’s cameo appearance at Le Mans, where traditionally double points are awarded towards the WEC championship. In the GTE-Am class, four other customer teams and two Porsche works drivers race the Porsche 911 RSR: Abu Dhabi Proton Racing with Patrick Long (USA) and KCMG with Wolf Henzler (Germany), as well as Gulf Racing and Proton Competition.

Crap, for being a young group of factory drivers, relatively, Porsche's Team of Drivers is quite Successful.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:41 AM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

LeMans is this weekend. If the FGT does well or wins its value will double overnight. They won at Laguna Seca in May but LeMans is a different animal.

I haven't seen Team Dempsey/Proton doing very well with the GT3R. I don't think they are getting much factory support or help. Thats major.

The full weight of Ford is behind this years LeMan effort. Unfortunate that the Matech team in 2009 did not have any factory help at LeMans in 2009. Despite that one of their FGTs was leading in class for 8 hours until it was hit by a Peugot coming out of the pits.
Although I am probably the only one, a couple of things make Le Mans a bit muted. First, modern rules are so parity-driven that the cars them selves are either hamstrung or enhanced compared to what a consumer can actually purchase, that racing is not relevant to me. For example, the GT Will likely be heavily restricted or ballasted to equalize it to the Porsche. Second, the word is competing in a lesser class, whereas in the 1960s it was competing for the overall win Second, Ford is competing in a lesser class, whereas in the 1960s it was competing for the overall win.

That said, be simple headline of "Ford wins," will overwhelm 99.9% of potential buyers. I would not discount Chevy, their team as well seasoned and they have excellent equipment.

But as a street car, the technology, mass, power, and bespoke nature of the GT makes it head and shoulders above the RS in my opinion.

Oh and for those who have the means to say that if you can afford one, you can afford both, bully for you, but there might be a few of us not quite in that boat.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:03 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
Although I................................................Oh and for those who have the means to say that if you can afford one, you can afford both, bully for you, but there might be a few of us not quite in that boat.

It's just inheritance money.

The children will understand.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:59 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
Could you please elaborate on this.
Would if I could. My source is heavily involved in the auto industry and this what his sources have told him. Who knows just keep your ear to the ground.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:53 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
exactly. why is this even a thread?

on a side note, I knew I should have chosen Radiology over Anesthesia
Regrets? I should never have quit grade 9 to work at the tuna cannery
Old 06-15-2016, 08:03 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 172 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Regrets? I should never have quit grade 9 to work at the tuna cannery
Jamie are you Captain Highliner? Well done. I see why you like blue.

Quick Reply: Ford GT or 991 GT3 RS