Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford GT or 991 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 02:10 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd love to know how many folks turn down the opportunity to buy the Ford GT.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:33 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RadDoc24
I was fortunate enough to get an allocation for an RS (changeable so above MSRP). Also just got a call from my Ford rep saying that I should be getting a call soon about the new GT. I can't keep both for long. Also I would have to sign a contract for the GT saying that I can't sell within a year. I think the GT would be on another level and just gets me more excited. What would you do?
Is this a serious question?

Ford GT - it's like owning a Ferrari Enzo except you'd be a winner.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:35 PM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 233 Posts

Fgt
Old 06-13-2016, 03:23 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by RadDoc24
I was fortunate enough to get an allocation for an RS (changeable so above MSRP). Also just got a call from my Ford rep saying that I should be getting a call soon about the new GT. I can't keep both for long. Also I would have to sign a contract for the GT saying that I can't sell within a year. I think the GT would be on another level and just gets me more excited. What would you do?
Just out of curiosity what are your other Ford vehicles?

Also, Ford supposed to contact the customer directly as the sale transaction is between Ford and the customer with the dealer only providing delivery.

First with the GT youre gambling that the value of this car is going to go up. If the car flops at LeMans or does not do well it may severely impact the value of these cars.

The GT has a eco-boost twin turbo. This steps away from traditional American power for the Ford GT 40.

I love both the Ford GT and The RS. I own a Gen. II Ford GT and filled out the application for the new Ford GT. I own multiple other Ford performance vehicles and I owned many for performance vehicles in the past. I have not received any call from my dealer. My understanding was that the selections were not to be made till after LeMans as the application process only concluded three weeks ago. It is somewhat surprising to me that Ford would've been able to make their selections in such a short period of time with so many applications being on file.

In any event I would not say the Ford GT is another league vis-à-vis the RS. In fact the 991 GT3R is a direct competitor with the Ford GT in the GTE class in the FIA.

Right now the Ford GT is the hot ticket with everybody tripping over themselves to get one. The base price will be in the mid 4s. You can buy an RS for substantially less. And total production for the Ford GT will likely be in the 1000 range ww.

To say everyone has an RS is somewhat of a "exaggeration".

The RS is a known quantity. It's a Porsche and "RS" and historically revered and a safe place for your money while enjoying your car. The previous Gen II Ford GT worked out pretty much the same. There is however no guarantee that the NexGen Ford GT will follow suit.

In short if it does well at LeMAns it's a car I would want. If it does not do well I'm not sure I would pay $500k for a TwinTurbo eco-boost.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:34 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

GT. Even if it doesn't do superbly at Le Mans, which it likely will not judging by its outings so far and the nature of its class and competitors. It may not skyrocket in value, but it isn't going to drop in value any time soon, certainly not relative value. If you really can only swing one of them, get the Ford GT.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:35 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

The Ford GT already made history beating Ferrari and winning Le Mans 5 times, forever a legend.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:51 PM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can buy a Ford GT with Gulf Livery for around $300K or theres abouts... actually that would be very cheap for that car - don't even think about it and just buy it. Last time I was eyeballing them they were going for nAir $500K. But I don't know what they are trading for now. Obviously the Non-Gulf GT's can go for Considerably less. Doesn't make them any slower, just not as "COLLECTABLE" as the Gulf Version's! For those who are collectors and own a cavalcade of coaches in the paddock. Converse to someone who own's only one Marque (sp?) of cars!
Old 06-13-2016, 05:29 PM
marcvv
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless your Ford "rep" is sitting on the board of Ford Motor company he is full of you know what. Ford corporate is sending letters to those who applied for the car. No "rep" knows anything about the selection process of their clients or customers, period.

Perhaps what he meant was that ford will soon let you know. As in Ford promised within 90 days of the closing of applications people would be notified if they are getting one of the 500 to be allocated right now worldwide. So yes you will know within a couple months if you were denied or accepted. The only chance you have is if you have owned many Ford's over a decade, own or owned a Ford GT, are very high profile on social media with 100k's of followers, know one of the Board of Directors or CEO of Ford. If you don't fit that profile forget it.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:41 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

As per the term and conditions in the agreement, you will receive emails over the course of 5 or 7 days, I don't recall which, notifying you of your selection, no phone calls, and no second chances if you fail to reply.

That said, 3x fgts in the hanger among other limited ford performance cars, and I haven't heard a peep. Although, they did watch the youtube video based on the view counter since the only person that has a link to the video is ford.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:42 PM
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 86 Posts

can you please post your YouTube audition video for the GT
Old 06-13-2016, 05:55 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

Fgt will be way over msrp in secondary market regardless of Le Mans. Passing it for an RS; you have to be a GIANORMOUS Porsche fan-boy that really gives two ****s about the financial decision of an Fgt vs RS at msrp. And you don't care about opportunity to drive a car few will ever see, let alone drive. A "car guy" would take an Fgt every day and twice in Sunday's and fill the RS scratch down the road anytime he wants.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:50 PM
FLGT
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Unless you are super connected with Ford, and if so I apologize in advance, your "rep" is full of cr-p. If so, run and dont do business with him. Tha t is not how it works at all.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:08 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Agree with most here.

If you truly have an allocation for Ford GT, you are something special, and money isn't an issue...buy both.

From a $ perspective - You can make money by flipping either car,..and I would guess you will be able to double your money on FGT.

So - my question is....why are you really asking this question?
Old 06-13-2016, 11:44 PM
marcvv
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW Ford is specifically vetting buyers who they KNOW will not flip the car and are planning on driving it and showing it. Again if this isn't you and you have not proven this to them you will never get one. For anyone who does get one and doesn't plan on driving it or plans on flipping you'll never get another Ford limited edition car the rest of your time on this planet. They are that serious about this according to some inside contacts of mine
Old 06-13-2016, 11:55 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

No question FGT.

Quick Reply: Ford GT or 991 GT3 RS