Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any *good* experience with Track Precision app?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 04:08 PM
Errsomeone
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FergusH
That's very interesting. I would definitely recommend calling Racelogic support. I don't have have a new Vbox Sport. Seem unlikely both units have a hardware problem, so I'm wondering if it's a problem with the design itself - or something with the iPhone?

What iPhone & OS version are you using? I'm mostly using an iPhone 6 with the latest OS.
Since it must not just be me I will put reaching out to Racelogic on the list to do. While my device is new, it did not look like the Sport has had any meaningful updates since introduction -- at least from my quick look before purchase.

I am using an iPhone 5s with the latest iOS version available, which should also be the same as your 6.

As for an alternate standalone system, I do like the data that is provided with the Porsche app -- some of which seems to not be available via CAN or OBD connections -- so long as it remains stable it will fulfill my goals. However, after previously using MoTeC among others it is not exactly appropriate to think of the app as a direct substitute. Over time, I would not be surprised if I transition back to a standalone system that "just works" but for my purposes the PTPA is quite close. A couple of minor feature additions, along with predictability of operation, would make me happy with the P app. The fact that P representatives have been in-touch and providing updates gives me some hope.

Otherwise, I have begun considering looking into playing around with creating a "bridge" that may permits the P data available through the wifi connection to interface with other loggers. Though, I doubt that I will begin such experimentation. Merging of the PTPA .vbo export file and the video such that Circuit Tools could use both is where I would likely devote any further time.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:09 PM
Leong72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Guys,

My first trackday with the new version yesterday. Much better than before….. but had one session not recorded, much like Fergus, an issue with Vbox connectivity. I think it might work better if the Vbox wasn’t connected to power/battery all the time. This way you switch on the Vbox each session and ensure a good connection. The external GPS antenna worked great for checking out different lines too.

Had the App crash a couple of times while I was checking out the data immediately after the session which previously would had wiped that session, if not the whole day, but this time all data still intact and video links intact as well. I have the same issues with fuzzy video, especially as I’ve got it set on 1920x1080, except that this was from the start with a clean windscreen. I think it could be a focus/image stabilisation issue within the app as you don’t have the same issue when recording video straight off the iPhone camera app. Still good enough to review the session and see whether that that slower corner was because of traffic.

Another issue I had would be my OBD data traces sometimes had some degree of lag, e.g. stuck on a speed for a maybe 0.5sec while you’re accelerating up a straight. I suspect this is because I didn’t run on airplane mode, or take the SIM card out…..what’s the reason for taking the SIM out if you’re already on airplane mode?

So, not quite 99% in my opinion, but vast improvement on before. I’m starting to think that there’s definitely advantages in systems that don’t require any management at the track and just start recording when you move. Do any of these allow you to review the session immediately like the PTPA does?

The PTPA though is excellent for those who do the occasional trackdays, vs the addicts

PS. My Vbox sport is new as well
Old 04-25-2016, 04:34 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Man, you guys are still trying to work with the Porsche app? I gave up almost a year ago. Too many other things I can waste my time with. Porsche really should refund people that optioned sport chrono.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:36 PM
Errsomeone
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Man, you guys are still trying to work with the Porsche app? I gave up almost a year ago. Too many other things I can waste my time with. Porsche really should refund people that optioned sport chrono.
Joe,

Understand your point. While I would not turn down a refund to put toward a VBox HD, to P's credit it seems to be incrementally improving. I would probably be more in your camp on this if I had begun when you did with the GT3, or participated in as many track days. Since I began using it just this year and found my way around the previous version's (v1.5?) bugs, my frustration is quite a bit more limited to the rational that the price of the option really is a bit excessive when compared to alternate solutions. Though, it does seem like the Track App is working enough to satisfy most of my desires, even if may not reflect the option's expense. However, P's options are rarely value leaders.

As an aside, I did not spec the SC option on my first allocation due to the prior reported problems... but reconsidered after jumping through a hoops to shift to another allocation to retain the buckets.

If P addresses the recent notes regarding focus (v1.6?), retains predictability/sustainability, and works on a couple of minor refinements in PTPA I would believe it likely more than satisfy most track users.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:36 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

IMHO without reliability any track telemetrics are worthless. After investing in the Sport chrono with Track App plus an iPhone and a VboxSport one could have bought the new Vbox HD dual camera system and had enough left over for tyres! I think you giys have a good case to lobby PAG for a refund on the App based on the time you have owned the car vs the time it takes them to get it 100% robust IMO. Nothing more disappointing than finishing a day to find your data is corrupted..
Old 04-26-2016, 03:27 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

I just ordered the VBOX Sport. Do I need to buy the antenna? Thanks.

Originally Posted by FergusH
Yes. I've got the Racelogic antenna and it sticks very well to the roof of my GT4.

That said, I'd suggest you hold off on buying the antenna. I'm going to test the new app version, the Vbox Sport, and the antenna this week. I hope the earlier problems with the app are fixed but unlike Nur93, I'm not 100% convinced that the problems are only with the GPS. Porsche definitely fixed bugs with the app that had nothing to do with the GPS; perhaps some of those bugs are still lingering. Nur93, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you ever had a problem with the app, right?

nlpamg, the Vbox Sport is good because it can be used as a GPS feed for the Porsche app but also because it's a logging device one its own. (It records data onto an SD card.) However, the XGPS160 is good too and if it wasn't working for you, maybe there's another problem.

I'd be happy to share my results with you after my track day this Wednesday.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:52 AM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nlpamg
I just ordered the VBOX Sport. Do I need to buy the antenna? Thanks.
I don't think so. I just looked at Vbox data recorded using an antenna versus data recorded without an antenna. It's about the same: when using the antenna, the Vbox is recording data from no less than 9 satellites; without the antenna, I see it drop to 8 but mostly it's 9 or above. And the difference could have been time of day - perhaps only 8 satellite were visible during that lap.

Vbox sells a good mount for the Sport that makes it easy to mount it with a clear line of sight to the sky.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:57 AM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I spoke too soon: turns out I *didn't* get four out of five sessions recorded correctly. Another one was skipped. Major bummer. For those following the drama, below is what I just wrote to Porsche.

---------

Hello again,

I’m have some bad news: my original comment was incorrect. I did not get four out of five sessions recorded correctly: I only got three. I looked at my data again tonight and realized that in the last session - the one that starts at 16:31 - Track Precision only recorded five laps but I actually completed 11 laps.

I confirmed this by:

1. Opening the raw video file from the session (copied from Track Precision using iTunes) and marking each lap; see enclosed - the markers are at the bottom of the window show where each lap started. Track Precision did record video for the entire session.
2. I then compared the video to the data I had in the .vbo file that the Vbox recorded on its SD card.

The video and Vbox data matched: I did definitely drive 11 laps in total and the times between the video and the Vbox data matched. Track Precision definitely did not record all the laps I drove. This session was the last one of the day.

I have added the .vbo from the Vbox Sport into the Dropbox folder linked below. It is in "Original vbo file from VBox Sport" > "With external antenna" and the file name is VBS__026.VBO. That vbo file recorded three separate sessions. If you open the file in Circuit Tools, the laps are number 24 through 33. Circuit Tools also shows that the GPS signal was good: the Vbox could always see at least 9 satellites.

I did not see any error at the start, during, or at the end of this final session, so I am surprised and disappointed that Track Precision did not record my entire session.

Please let me know if there’s more information that will be helpful.

Thanks,
Fergus

------------------
Old 05-05-2016, 04:15 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Summer is here now, hence did wake up the GT4. First thing I did was test app. Seems to work great as always. I have a new iPhone 6 + hence I put smal Old IPhone 6 s in car only as app/video tool. I dont even got a sim card in it anylonger.

It not on latest iOS 9.3.1 at the moment! Is this iOS buggy for track app? Iguess i will wait and download that later or if you guys got it working fine I might download.

Anyway, As I mentioned all along, external gps receiver on roof is a must have. Did get LOTs of gps loss when trying without it. Did drive around the block city center with magnetic gps receiver and without. When out on track area trace get very much better due to open lansdscape(not big high buildings in the way etc)

Please, this thing will work fine, just get that small magnetic gps reciver and put on roof, it will not work propper with out it! As well must have vbox sport. I never drove with out external gps reciver, and vbox sport and mine is working al time.

Its all ok to make own track by car even mid city center even app say it will not work. Sure it will not film, and it will not work in that way. But you can create your own track and make sure the thing hook up to gps and is all set to function. And please, do try it at home like this before getting all stressed out on track when you try first time to get it to work.

Its so easy steep by steep in you backyard to get a feeling For how it work. And it will not work propper with out external gps reciver on roof and vbox-sport.
See how god gps conection i got in pic👍. If no gps puck reciver on roof this will get interupt and loose gps conection on and off, thats not what you want. You want solid gps conection all time, hence then it will hook up and function all time on track.!!

Just a tip for those that did not know...if you got same start and finish line you just need to press start! Then when car get back to that same place it automatically set finish line. It that easy to create your own track via car!! Then just send that track to your friend and they dont need to set it!

Remember this will not work propper if only on iPhone. Need vbox sport and external gps reciver on outside roof to get exakt start/finish. <br/>To put sektors, just press sector display as many times/place you want them.

App will tell you if you need to download new firmware, my did, hence i did download!

With out gps reciver on roof(still vbox sport)

Same lap around the block, now with external gps reciver on roof( pluged in to vbox sport)

Last edited by Nur93; 05-05-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:02 PM
Leong72
Instructor

Well, I had my second trackday with the new version on Wednesday, it recorded all the sessions, but for some sessions I lost the link to the video ( play button greyed out ) sometime after the session i.e., it was there immediately after the session. I'm sure the raw video will be there if one wanted to export the vbo and import both into circuit tools, but that's not the point of this app.

Also, this time I ran all day on airplane mode and still got some errors in data on may traces. I know that in the previous version even a notification from the calendar app would cause the recording to stop. I guess something like this could be the reason for the failure? I might have to dedicate an old iPhone 5S to Track Precision App usage only to see if this is the cause.

5 of 8 sessions were fine. Using box sport with external GPS aerial
Attached Images   
Old 05-05-2016, 08:28 PM
997xpress
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

FYI -

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/ta...loggers-track/
Old 05-06-2016, 03:20 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by 997xpress
Glad Porsche is getting some bad press about this joke of track app. Over a year and a half since initial cars arriving with this option and it still is unreliable.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:04 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
Glad Porsche is getting some bad press about this joke of track app. Over a year and a half since initial cars arriving with this option and it still is unreliable.
Absolutely.

I'm going to try it out with the VBox Sport and antenna this weekend, but I wish I didn't have to go that far.

I don't need app to get something working with the VBox either.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:54 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Used it this weekend at Buttonwillow.

It recorded everything. Except my last session, the video was just black (I think it may have been because my phone was running out of memory though).

The VBox Sport disconnected from my phone at one point and I had to reset it, but other than that, it ran without a hitch and I didn't even have to use the external antenna.

So, what did I do differently from the past times I've tried to use this? I had a VBox Sport AND (what I think helped the most) was to put the phone into airplane mode.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:26 AM
rookie1
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

From my experience using a Quartz BT GPS receiver with the Android version of the Track Precision app seems to work more reliably , I don't see the problem of the GPS disconnecting that I (and others) seem to see with iPhone + VBox.
That being said, I am not recording video with the app (using GoPro for that), so not sure if the iPhone would be better for that.

I'm just waiting for their next update to fix the CSV export (right now one column is exported wrong) and I'm finally happy for my specific usecase.

Agreed that it took too long to get here (and I'm not even going into the discussion if it's worth the money for the Sport Chrono option) but at least they are improving over time and are actively reading the issues here in the forum and reaching out to people to get data to improve the system.

Quick Reply: Any *good* experience with Track Precision app?